Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Mar 2017, 03:25 (Ref:3719917)   #426
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Oh no the Apache!
No, no. Merely someone's nasty couch.

Now the battle against crap music and weirdos begins.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 03:29 (Ref:3719919)   #427
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmerRS View Post
Corvette win thanks to FCY, they were off the pace and nearly a minute down. I may not want to watch rest of the season, this is not the racing I look for.
They hung out on the lead lap for 9 hours, and I guess you missed Garcia passing all three Fords on pace to take the lead once the temps dropped.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 03:30 (Ref:3719920)   #428
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A race of survival, what endurance racing is all about. Congrats to the caddies, corvette ( I'm a Ford fan ). Please IMSA no knee jerk reactions to BoP.

On a side note: it's been said the 6.2 V8 caddie has a torque advantage. The turbo motors of Mazda and Nissan should be up there in the fight. A turbo is just that; a torque multiplier. Leave BoP alone and let the teams catch up to The Caddie motors
Old 19 Mar 2017, 03:31 (Ref:3719921)   #429
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
No, no. Merely someone's nasty couch.

Now the battle against crap music and weirdos begins.
Crap music after a Sebring? Never!
Old 19 Mar 2017, 03:33 (Ref:3719923)   #430
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Crap music after a Sebring? Never!
I know. Mostly coming from jacked up trucks cruising but there seems to be a Scoobie in close proximity that has a case of crap music syndrome.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 03:37 (Ref:3719925)   #431
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I know. Mostly coming from jacked up trucks cruising but there seems to be a Scoobie in close proximity that has a case of crap music syndrome.
At this point, You just gotta hope some drunk dude doesn't hit folks with his giant truck tonight. This is always the hardest race night for me - knowing I gotta get up and drive a lot g distance in the morning.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 03:39 (Ref:3719926)   #432
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
At this point, You just gotta hope some drunk dude doesn't hit folks with his giant truck tonight. This is always the hardest race night for me - knowing I gotta get up and drive a lot g distance in the morning.
I did a stint down here. Likely to have someone else pulling a triple stint for us tomorrow, leaving me the final leg home.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 03:45 (Ref:3719928)   #433
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
On the plus-side: No bogus cautions for invisible debris, BoP being on the spot or thereabouts, no major off-track drama otherwise. It's a great foundation to build on.
Quote:
Corvette win thanks to FCY, they were off the pace and nearly a minute down. I may not want to watch rest of the season, this is not the racing I look for.
Some people aren't watching the same thing.....

I really thought Porsche was gonna have a say at the end but had a puncture. Damn endurance racing...... Well deserved by corvette.

Bop seems about right everywhere right now. Its an evil we have to deal with, so I'm thankful it was so well done today.

Was a proper endurance race. Ok, not the most exciting finish, but endurance racing isn't supposed to be. A late caution, five cars on the lead lap, some car that had hung out in third for five hours suddenly making a late pass to win isn't needed or normal for endurance racing. The cars look great, have variety, some manufacturer interest without the cost usually associated, and some really good racing regardless of whether it's a photo finish or if only one was on the lead lap by the end. Things are looking bright. Athertons "only one time to get it right" better be used wisely this time.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 03:46 (Ref:3719929)   #434
August
Rookie

Finland
August should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
For sure there are, have been, and will be cases that a team loses the victory because a caution period cuts the lead. But cautions are a part of the game. If you were leading because of a superior car, shouldn't you pull away after the restart?
Old 19 Mar 2017, 03:56 (Ref:3719930)   #435
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bowties baby!
Old 19 Mar 2017, 03:58 (Ref:3719931)   #436
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I hope you don't, because that was an epic drive by Garcia.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 04:27 (Ref:3719936)   #437
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It's not the best race I've watched, but it was more bearable than Daytona. The prototype field probably won't be close until the middle of the season. Not on the reliability front at least. I hope the other p2's and dpi's get the cars on song so we can have a real race.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 05:56 (Ref:3719941)   #438
Makaze
Racer

Makaze has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFrider View Post
A race of survival, what endurance racing is all about. Congrats to the caddies, corvette ( I'm a Ford fan ). Please IMSA no knee jerk reactions to BoP.

On a side note: it's been said the 6.2 V8 caddie has a torque advantage. The turbo motors of Mazda and Nissan should be up there in the fight. A turbo is just that; a torque multiplier. Leave BoP alone and let the teams catch up to The Caddie motors
A 6.2L Chevy engine shouldn't of been allowed.You cannot beat big displacement engines even with BOP because first they do not have to push the engine hard to perform and if you take away some top HP,it still makes a ton of torque.

The Max Liter of that engine should of been only 5.0 or IMSA should of made them stick with the 3.6L V6tt.

I bet that IMSA will outlaw the 6.2L V8 next year.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 09:06 (Ref:3719960)   #439
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaze View Post
A 6.2L Chevy engine shouldn't of been allowed.You cannot beat big displacement engines even with BOP because first they do not have to push the engine hard to perform and if you take away some top HP,it still makes a ton of torque.

The Max Liter of that engine should of been only 5.0 or IMSA should of made them stick with the 3.6L V6tt.

Reference last 5 years of GTE here.........
Old 19 Mar 2017, 10:22 (Ref:3719974)   #440
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
It's not the best race I've watched, but it was more bearable than Daytona. The prototype field probably won't be close until the middle of the season. Not on the reliability front at least. I hope the other p2's and dpi's get the cars on song so we can have a real race.
10 hrs of rain got tedious but:
You may have missed the closing stages of the 24 then.
P- 1-2 nose to tail
GTLM - 1,2,3 nose to tail
GTD - 1,2,3 (and I think 4) nose to tail
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2017 Daytona 24 Average Distance And Speed.pdf (153.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by canamman; 19 Mar 2017 at 10:28.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 16:41 (Ref:3720022)   #441
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

No. This entire post is just whining because they have a better engine.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 16:44 (Ref:3720023)   #442
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

That's a bold prediction. Too bold, series won't go for it. With forced induction, a motor gets a great boost of power without much sweat too. Either ESM/Speedsource haven't put the testing in or the boost ratio pressures for the rpm curve in the BoP are wrong. With the turbo you can create good torque curves. The Ecoboost v6 in the DP's and now the GTLM cars perform just fine against the large displacement V8s
Old 19 Mar 2017, 16:46 (Ref:3720024)   #443
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
ESM hasn't had the same amount of time, and AER is AER.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 17:28 (Ref:3720029)   #444
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Nissan gets more development with that engine, you'll see...
Old 19 Mar 2017, 17:49 (Ref:3720031)   #445
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The GM engine might be "ancient" as it's still a pushrod engine, but it gets the job done. Why do you think the US Army hasn't replaced the M16/M4 rifles with something "better" or why are the Russians, Poles, and others still using derivatives of the old Kalashnikov AK-47/AK-74 designs? Because it's not worth spending a ton of money on marginal improvements.

Yes, GM have an advantage by having a big engine, that can't be denied. But they make that big engine work, and work with the car.

Granted, I'd make the argument that if not for the EOT/ERS incentive, that Audi had the better engine in their car, and would have if not for the ERS incentive in the WEC.

And that's the single biggest problem (other than driving up costs) that the WEC has. At least in IMSA, being a BOP class (granted, EOT is basically a technically elaborate BOP that allows for in-season development outside of powertrain), you can in theory run whatever you want as long as you get it to work.

Is 6.2 liters too big? Maybe, given that DP used to have a 5 liter limit (bumped to 5.5 with the ALMS/GA merger). But even then, you have to look at Audi and the way they did things. Even with the R8 LMP900, their 3.6 twin turbo V8 was very close to the 4 liter limit on forced induction engines (and the 3.6 got a larger air restrictor and increased turbo boost to match what a 4.0 would've done). And with the diesel engines, they ran as big an engine as they could get away with.

Generally, doing so, be it NA or turbo, is to one's advantage.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 17:53 (Ref:3720032)   #446
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Jeff Gordon wins Sebring 12 Hours in a Cadillac and beats the world's Global Cars!

Corvette wins Sebring beating Porsche, Ferrari, Audi and Lamborghini!

What incredible headlines.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 18:05 (Ref:3720037)   #447
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
When Nissan gets more development with that engine, you'll see...
OH I'm sure it should be fast,they just need to get it to stop over boosting.i wonder why they went with Nissan and the v6tt.just like the hpd in '14 they went for somthing uneccassarly complicated,and are having the same results.

rebellion showed with top pro drivers the orca has the speed to lead and or catch the Cadillacs,it just needs to be more reliable and have flawless pit work.thats not Cadillacs fault and shouldn't get all the hate,everyone had the same opertunity,a clean sheet and they chose what they did.imsa has already reeled back caddillac a few times.reliability,shoddy pit work,and not so stellar drivers is what's hurting the no Cadillac teams.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 19:46 (Ref:3720051)   #448
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
I might suggest people are too convinced of this reasoning that it's torque that makes the Cadillac's fast and the air restrictor doesn't matter. Restrictor adjustments were fully effective on 7L engines in GT1.

The premise of my argument would be that the Cadillacs had a massive power advantage at Daytona but are roughly even on power at Sebring. Someone will say "but they were the second slowest car in the speed trap at Sebring". Well consider for a moment that the slowest car had the same engine as the fastest car, clearly the engine is hardly the sole deciding factor. I've said before the Cadillac bodywork looks like a high downforce version of the Dallara bodywork, because 9/10 American tracks are high dowforce tracks while the ORECA and Ligier are primarily configured for tracks with 1-2km straights. So if they're the second draggiest car in the field it shouldn't be a surprise they are the second slowest at the end of the straight. It also makes some degree of sense that they needed 20kg of ballast to try and even their cornering speeds with more downforce than the other cars.

Remember they were comfortably the fastest car in the infield at Daytona as well.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 20:49 (Ref:3720055)   #449
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
carbsmith has introduced a good variable to the debate. We have to consider also the Dallara chasis. We haven´t seen how fast a Dallara Gibson is, but we have seen that Ligier and Riley Gibson aren´t to the pace of the Orecas.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 21:40 (Ref:3720061)   #450
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it's the engine that the Chevy/Caddy needs a nemesis, then there is only one...

6.1 L Chrysler/Dodge HEMI V8, Dallara chassis using the 2016/17 Dodge Charger styling cues.