Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Oct 2017, 00:13 (Ref:3777320)   #751
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
do you think the late announcment of the TV package might have cancelled any benefit. I imagine all the cars were already in NZ when we heard there would be TV.

Last eyar there was no tv at all hampton downs, havent heard if there will be at the coming event

from a spectator point of view, Hampton downs and Pukekohe are almost the same price $
I reckon that the V8SC next weekend probably did take a good number of the crowds away - it's the last year of the V8's too, but Puke is definitely more expensive, and the venue is sh*te is has to be said.

I am curious as to why the GT championship is only 4 rounds? I had heard there was talk of V8SC buying the series, anyone heard about that?
Old 30 Oct 2017, 00:21 (Ref:3777322)   #752
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
I reckon that the V8SC next weekend probably did take a good number of the crowds away - it's the last year of the V8's too, but Puke is definitely more expensive, and the venue is sh*te is has to be said.

I am curious as to why the GT championship is only 4 rounds? I had heard there was talk of V8SC buying the series, anyone heard about that?
3 day ticket to Puke is $119 AUD $133 NZD. 3 day pass to highlands is $119 NZD. i understand hampton downs was around 100 for a 3 day pass. im happy that is pretty similar

the gt championship is split in 2, The Aust Gt championshp - 5 rounds (all in Australia) and The Aust endurance championship - 4 rounds (of which 2 are in NZ in 2017)

the Supercars buy-out was rejected by CAMS and is not currently going ahead, which leaves Aust Gt is a bit of a weird spot
Old 30 Oct 2017, 00:30 (Ref:3777327)   #753
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
What is the alternative offered by CAMS to run an AGT series next year?
This is still the elephant in the room.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 00:40 (Ref:3777329)   #754
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post

just giving this quote, Locks nothing in, but it would appear supercars may stay involved

Supercars/Aus GT takeover blocked by CAMS

Quote:
Supercars CEO James Warburton says competitors are upset by the decision but affirmed that support will be given to Australian GT in the future.
“There is such overwhelming support from the competitors and they are very disappointed that CAMS didn’t approve it,” Warburton told Speedcafe.com.
It is what it is. I personally really feel for Tony (Quinn) and now we will do everything we can to support him from 2018 and beyond.
2018 calendar was meant to be released by now, however i assume the sale rejection has put a hold on that
Old 30 Oct 2017, 01:01 (Ref:3777333)   #755
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The Shannons Nationals would have to be the favourite from a CAMS point of view.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 01:04 (Ref:3777334)   #756
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
The Shannons Nationals would have to be the favourite from a CAMS point of view.
you mean run it themselves? would make their decision look poor and a massive conflict of interest then
Old 30 Oct 2017, 01:15 (Ref:3777337)   #757
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why a conflict of interest?

They own the rights to the category and in light of todays announcement from Benalla - a strong Shannons Nationals is important
Old 30 Oct 2017, 01:26 (Ref:3777338)   #758
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Why a conflict of interest?

They own the rights to the category and in light of todays announcement from Benalla - a strong Shannons Nationals is important
Because Shannons nationals are a CAMS Run event. for CAMS to stop someone else running Aust GT so that it has to run on their calendar is a conflict of interest.

also i would have thought that in light of today's announcment from winton then a strong Shannons Nationals is less important
Old 30 Oct 2017, 01:37 (Ref:3777341)   #759
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Because Shannons nationals are a CAMS Run event. for CAMS to stop someone else running Aust GT so that it has to run on their calendar is a conflict of interest.
Cams run event and a Cams owned category - do they not hold the right to make a decision?

Quote:
also i would have thought that in light of today's announcment from winton then a strong Shannons Nationals is less important
Please elaborate as I am confused. Why would CAMS be happy for a weak Shannons Nationals when there is a alternative and competing National series run with AASA?
Old 30 Oct 2017, 01:56 (Ref:3777343)   #760
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:

Well there you are - seems you guys have very similar issues over there with CAMS as we did with MSNZ when SuperTourers were a new series.

Why can't governing bodies just put the best interests of the sport first?!
Old 30 Oct 2017, 02:00 (Ref:3777344)   #761
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Cams run event and a Cams owned category - do they not hold the right to make a decision?

Please elaborate as I am confused. Why would CAMS be happy for a weak Shannons Nationals when there is a alternative and competing National series run with AASA?
Q1 So conflict of interest then. Cant be any clearer.

Q2. I guess it would depend if your interest was motorsport, in which case this is a good thing (more opportunities for categories to run on a national stage) or if your interest is CAMS in which case this is a bad thing - a competitor competing against your interest of Event management. (Which some would say you should not be involved in)
Old 30 Oct 2017, 02:32 (Ref:3777347)   #762
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Q1 So conflict of interest then. Cant be any clearer.

Q2. I guess it would depend if your interest was motorsport, in which case this is a good thing (more opportunities for categories to run on a national stage) or if your interest is CAMS in which case this is a bad thing - a competitor competing against your interest of Event management. (Which some would say you should not be involved in
Yes! Exactly! (Thinks, MSNZ and TMC...)
Old 30 Oct 2017, 02:33 (Ref:3777348)   #763
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Q2. I guess it would depend if your interest was motorsport, in which case this is a good thing (more opportunities for categories to run on a national stage) or if your interest is CAMS in which case this is a bad thing - a competitor competing against your interest of Event management. (Which some would say you should not be involved in)
We were talking about a CAMS perspective here Peckstar - and that why this mornings announcement through their eyes places a greater important on a strong Shannons Nationals.

Its not event management that CAMS are worried about Peckstar - its where the competitors choose to race that is the concern.

I think you are placing to much emphasis on CAMS running the Nationals series in the overall scheme of Australian motorsport.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 05:27 (Ref:3777358)   #764
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Logical answer would be to clear deskpace at SupercarHQ, offer all assistance to create a calendar, technical support to competitors, marketing support to the rounds, and anythibg else required, via contract, until CAMS gets an offer they are comfortable with..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 Oct 2017, 06:55 (Ref:3777380)   #765
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of the comments from some members here are laughable.

How dare an organisation disagree with something Supercars wants to do. Sounds like Supercars were perhaps trying to bully CAMS into something they weren't comfortable with. They own the category, it's up to them. Full stop.

Quote:
even now there is no mention of results on the Aust GT website (guess they were busy getting back to australia)
Given the ownership debate, is there anyone who's currently has the job of updating the website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy
Well there you are - seems you guys have very similar issues over there with CAMS as we did with MSNZ when SuperTourers were a new series.

Why can't governing bodies just put the best interests of the sport first?!
COMPLETELY different scenario, not even similiar

SuperTourers were not aligned to MSNZ, it would be like the AASA starting a category in Australia and asking CAMS to support it...

Quote:
Given CAMS own AusGT ultimately, isn't it their choice? If you own a business, isn't it your right to contract it out or run it yourself?

CAMS ran every national championship for over 40 years until the mid-90s, was that a conflict of interest??
Old 30 Oct 2017, 09:08 (Ref:3777412)   #766
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Logical answer would be to clear deskpace at SupercarHQ, offer all assistance to create a calendar, technical support to competitors, marketing support to the rounds, and anythibg else required, via contract, until CAMS gets an offer they are comfortable with..
Or another category manager/ promoter steps up.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 09:15 (Ref:3777414)   #767
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Or another category manager/ promoter steps up.
you keep saying that. Who?
Old 30 Oct 2017, 09:20 (Ref:3777418)   #768
D.R.T.
Veteran

Could be anyone Peckstar. For example - one or multiple competitors. Or SRO potentially as they are investing in the Asia Pacific region currently.

Its an option. 1 of 3 real options currently facing the category.

1) Cams run it.
2) V8SC make a competitive bid and gain the management lease rights
3) Another category manager / promoter is found
Old 30 Oct 2017, 09:23 (Ref:3777421)   #769
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Could be anyone Peckstar. For example - one or multiple competitors. Or SRO potentially as they are investing in the Asia Pacific region currently.

Its an option.

1) Cams run it.
great theory, whos putting their hands up apart from Supercars?
Old 30 Oct 2017, 09:29 (Ref:3777425)   #770
D.R.T.
Veteran

No idea. We were talking options here. Only time will tell Peckstar but its great to see your enthusiasm for GT racing in Australia
Old 30 Oct 2017, 09:49 (Ref:3777431)   #771
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
No idea. We were talking options here. Only time will tell Peckstar but its great to see your enthusiasm for GT racing in Australia
so then we need to add the next option. no one. cars just run at local events and maybe on the poorly attended CAMS shannons series. With CAMS also having a significantly reduced category managment fee,
Old 30 Oct 2017, 10:47 (Ref:3777442)   #772
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Its an option. 1 of 3 real options currently facing the category.

1) Cams run it.
It is almost November...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 Oct 2017, 10:59 (Ref:3777448)   #773
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
so then we need to add the next option. no one.
I don't see that as a likely outcome Peckstar. As has been discussed - as 2 of only 4 Australian Championships, CAMS would run the championship.

So your prediction is extremely unrealistic.
Old 30 Oct 2017, 11:02 (Ref:3777451)   #774
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
I don't see that as a likely outcome Peckstar. As has been discussed - as 2 of only 4 Australian Championships - CAMS would run the championship.

So your prediction is extremely unrealistic.
Got to run them somewhere though, are they going to beg supercars for help?

and just because they have 2 of the 4 championships doesnt force competitors to turn up (is that what they were attempting to do a few months ago)

and as GTR said here we are November, whats there plan?
Old 30 Oct 2017, 11:37 (Ref:3777460)   #775
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Got to run them somewhere though, are they going to beg supercars for help?

and just because they have 2 of the 4 championships doesnt force competitors to turn up (is that what they were attempting to do a few months ago)

and as GTR said here we are November, whats there plan?
Considering the v8sc proposal was only rejected 10 days ago - you would imagine the plan is currently evolving.

In terms of where they could run - the shannons nationals would be the obvious choice. I'm unsure of the contracts in place with the AGP and SA Gov but considering the history of Australian GT racing at both events there may be an existing agreement in place.

No need to force competitor to show up - just give them a platform to race

Last edited by D.R.T.; 30 Oct 2017 at 11:50.