Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 6 Mar 2001, 05:41 (Ref:68755)   #1
PBrock
Rookie

PBrock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I own one. Swift model, but looking to upgrade in the future to maybe Ax6 or Ax7. I havent started racing yet but plan to within in weeks. I am currently looking of joining a club but unsure what one to choose. There would be 3 or 4 within a hour but the closest one is looking likely.

Well what about everyone else?
Old 7 Mar 2001, 13:46 (Ref:69152)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Brocky..I think I am one of only a handfull of kart racers that frequent these parts..but i have an AX6 and run in clubman light..dont know where you are based but im in the Albury/Wodonga club on the NSW/Vic border..I started in 98 as a driver but have been involved since 1995 as a pit crew member..sadly i havent raced for a while due to a lack of finances..I love karting and hope to get back into it again one day..who knows maybe we will end up on the same track one day

good luck to ya in ya racing exploits and hope you get as much out of the sport as I have.

meanwhile heres a pic of me at full speed.

oh yeah check out my site at [url]www.geocities.com/racing_au[/url

didnt work i will try again

Last edited by marcus; 7 Mar 2001 at 13:49.
Old 7 Mar 2001, 13:50 (Ref:69156)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
hope this one works
Attached Thumbnails
marcus6.jpg  
Old 9 Mar 2001, 10:58 (Ref:69591)   #4
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes i have one as well,after two seasons of running a 125 gearbox kart i have moved up to a 250 superkart.

I finished 4th in the NZ champs a few weeks ago in my second outing,still a few seconds a lap to slow to keep up with the fast guys though.

If you get the chance try some road racing,it beats the sprint racing,bigger circuits,faster speeds and more fun!
Old 9 Mar 2001, 11:24 (Ref:69599)   #5
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well as usual I have the offbeat reply to this post,

My 16 year old son had to come up with a metal work project, so we settled on a go cart. Got some ideas for the frame and steering from the net. Then needed a motor.

He got lucky and found a 100cc Yamaha 2 stroke road bike motor, with mounting frame (for a mini bike - don't ask!) and a four speed box. It runs, no exhaust system so I was deafened! All for $50.

Now I hope he has learnt to weld better than me.

One of us could end up hurt here.
Old 10 Mar 2001, 00:40 (Ref:69732)   #6
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a quick question, is there a maximum height that kart drivers can practically be?
Old 10 Mar 2001, 06:08 (Ref:69786)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I have seen some quite tall fellas racing karts langers..well over 6 foot..but its not a major concern i guess ..if you can fit in one and are comfotable then there shouldnt be a problem..aerodynamics arent that important in karting but i guess it would have a little effect..Im a short bloke so I dont know about being to big for a kart..I actually have a cusion behind me and the pedals adjusted fully so i can reach.

but if a 6 or maybe even 7 foot guy wants to race then why not if he can find a kart that he can fit in of course.
Old 10 Mar 2001, 11:06 (Ref:69811)   #8
Langers
Veteran

Marcus - Thanks for your reply. I'm 15 yo and 6' 2" (appx 185cm), and judging by the karts at the Australian GP, it looked as though some of the guys were struggling to fit into the karts.
Old 10 Mar 2001, 11:33 (Ref:69820)   #9
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Time for a Career Change

Langers,

Have you thought of basketball?
Old 10 Mar 2001, 12:11 (Ref:69827)   #10
redback
Racer

redback should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Langers, I have a friend who is about your height that races karts. His kart has the front section, where the pedals mount to, extended a few inches. Stevenson Kart Services in Sydney can probably help you out.
Old 11 Mar 2001, 12:08 (Ref:70035)   #11
Langers
Veteran

Re: Time for a Career Change

Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
Langers,

Have you thought of basketball?
Yea I used to play.. got a bit too much for my knees though.
Old 16 Mar 2001, 01:53 (Ref:71560)   #12
US SuperKarter
Rookie

US SuperKarter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too Tall????

Folks,

I'm 6'5", I have been racing karts and been involved in karting since the early 1960's. The last kart I raced was ZIP Bandit with a modified PCR 135cc reed valve engine. I had the front porch of the kart extended about 4". But I was racing Long-Track events, so the rules were prety different than sprints. Don't let tall get in your way, but try too keep your weight down and fitness up as much as possible. Karts give you a real workout.

John Skuja
Crew Chief
OFR Extreme SuperKarts
http://www.ravens-roost.com/ofr/ofr.html
Old 21 Mar 2001, 05:50 (Ref:73228)   #13
slipstream
Rookie

slipstream should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't let your height get in you're way. I'm 6'4" and have won a number of championships. The most important thing to keep in mind though, is to ensure that you get the correct weight distribution. Don't be tempted to move your seat back to far as your balance will be affected. I instead keep both my seat and pedals in a standard position, but extend the steering column so that my knees don't get in the way.