Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 May 2008, 23:41 (Ref:2207874)   #1
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
NZV8s - 2008/2009

Apparently the NZV8 Series has a number of changes happening for the 2008/2009 Season.

Does anyone have a calendar for this great series as yet? If not, when is it due out?

Any clues as to the proposed changes to the series?

Hopefully this is all for the better and will see the series grow in strength even more!
Old 21 May 2008, 06:21 (Ref:2207982)   #2
stalks
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
stalks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

maybe they will finally be strong enough to do a standing start
Old 21 May 2008, 07:28 (Ref:2208033)   #3
V8's rule
Racer

V8's rule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalks
maybe they will finally be strong enough to do a standing start

stalks..........Until such time as we upgrade the rear end........There will be no standing start's........Even then, its doubtfull that standing starts will ever be part of our scene.

Old 21 May 2008, 15:48 (Ref:2208392)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wasn't there going to be a kit available to upgrade the commodores to VE panels? Haven't heard anything about the Fords.

I imagine the calendar would not be much different. I'd wonder once Hampton Downs is done whether that track would get a weekend?
Old 21 May 2008, 19:55 (Ref:2208571)   #5
V8's rule
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Wasn't there going to be a kit available to upgrade the commodores to VE panels? Haven't heard anything about the Fords.

I imagine the calendar would not be much different. I'd wonder once Hampton Downs is done whether that track would get a weekend?

Big M.......Yes Hamton downs is on the provisional calander........Which If I get time....... Will post tonight.

No decision on the VE look has been made and certainly will not happen this year.

Old 21 May 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2208621)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8's rule
Big M.......Yes Hamton downs is on the provisional calander........Which If I get time....... Will post tonight.

No decision on the VE look has been made and certainly will not happen this year.
That's good. I'll be interested to see the track when it's done. Is Pukehoke going to disappear or is that still on the cards?

With the new FG Falcon out now I wonder if there is an interest in moving to the new FG and VE altogether. Maybe run the current cars for a year then move to the new ones in 09/10?
Old 23 May 2008, 00:20 (Ref:2209450)   #7
stalks
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
stalks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
stalks..........Until such time as we upgrade the rear end........There will be no standing start's........Even then, its doubtfull that standing starts will ever be part of our scene.

why would you say that a standing start is not part of your scene
Old 23 May 2008, 05:01 (Ref:2209528)   #8
Silencer
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Silencer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Petch on Karcher Pitlane this week said that the new VE shell probably won't be introduced for another couple of years.
Old 23 May 2008, 05:55 (Ref:2209541)   #9
Desert Rat
Rookie

New Zealand
Wanganui
Desert Rat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found these dates today for the NZV8's championship. I don't know whether these are confirmed or provisional.

Round 1 Taupo - 3-5 October 2008

Round 2 Pukekohe - 7-9 November 2008

Round 3 Ruapuna - 28-30 November 2008

Round 4 Levels - 23-25 January 2009

Round 5 Teretonga - 30 January - 1 February 2009

Round 6 Manfield - 27 February - 1 March 2009

Round 7 Hampton Downs - 20-22 March 2009
Old 23 May 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2209728)   #10
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat
I found these dates today for the NZV8's championship. I don't know whether these are confirmed or provisional.

Round 1 Taupo - 3-5 October 2008

Round 2 Pukekohe - 7-9 November 2008

Round 3 Ruapuna - 28-30 November 2008

Round 4 Levels - 23-25 January 2009

Round 5 Teretonga - 30 January - 1 February 2009

Round 6 Manfield - 27 February - 1 March 2009

Round 7 Hampton Downs - 20-22 March 2009
That means no support race for the A1GP
Old 23 May 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2210015)   #11
V8's rule
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
That means no support race for the A1GP

NAC........Correct.......A vote was taken taken by all the team owners......And only Lyal Williamson voted to support the A1's.

On another note........Hampton Downs is a provisional date only......And unlikely to happen......Given Mr Roberts [MD] statement yesterday........Tony said amongst a lot of talk about the real estate.......That they hoped to have the first part of the track finished by the end of the year........That may suit driving schools and other such clients but untill all there is a full FIA level 2 track in place then there is highly unlikely to be a Level One race meeting at that venue.
Old 23 May 2008, 22:14 (Ref:2210072)   #12
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about Hamilton??
Old 23 May 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2210077)   #13
V8's rule
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
What about Hamilton??

JDI........Hamilton got the big tick.......Though no formal vote.......However it will remain a Non Championship round.

Old 23 May 2008, 23:39 (Ref:2210103)   #14
Just Do It!
Veteran

Is the reason that it will remain non-championship to stop Johnny Mac from collecting even more championship points?

Here's a curly one.....If Hamilton had been a championship round this year, how much would it have changed the order of the top 10 in the championship from the final standings?
Old 24 May 2008, 01:53 (Ref:2210136)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
NAC........Correct.......A vote was taken taken by all the team owners......And only Lyal Williamson voted to support the A1's.

On another note........Hampton Downs is a provisional date only......And unlikely to happen......Given Mr Roberts [MD] statement yesterday........Tony said amongst a lot of talk about the real estate.......That they hoped to have the first part of the track finished by the end of the year........That may suit driving schools and other such clients but untill all there is a full FIA level 2 track in place then there is highly unlikely to be a Level One race meeting at that venue.
Why the reluctance to run with A1?
Old 24 May 2008, 01:55 (Ref:2210137)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
Is the reason that it will remain non-championship to stop Johnny Mac from collecting even more championship points?

Here's a curly one.....If Hamilton had been a championship round this year, how much would it have changed the order of the top 10 in the championship from the final standings?
Whether it's non championship or championship, I'd hope they'd keep it as to me that would be a no brainer.
Old 24 May 2008, 07:29 (Ref:2210193)   #17
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why the reluctance to run with A1?
Gut feel - they dont want to play second fiddle. I'm sure V8's Rule or someone can confirm

Question now is who will full the shoes and support the A1 show
Old 24 May 2008, 08:02 (Ref:2210206)   #18
DJJ
Racer

DJJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are many reasons for the departure from the A1gp.

Mainly the way the pits were set up, the no food rule... yes even teams had to buy food at stupid rates. Basically the event is not what appeals to the teams of the sport. Bang for the buck for the people that attened... sadly the people never got that.
Old 24 May 2008, 09:44 (Ref:2210265)   #19
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ

Mainly the way the pits were set up, the no food rule... yes even teams had to buy food at stupid rates. Basically the event is not what appeals to the teams of the sport. Bang for the buck for the people that attened... sadly the people never got that.
Not surprising the "no food rule"- I am involved in a historic racing class, and we have been quoted ridiculous $$$ to race at Taupo, as have other classes. Maybe the board of directors think the have an F1 track there and can charge accordingly??!!!
Old 24 May 2008, 10:30 (Ref:2210292)   #20
DJJ
Racer

DJJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog
Not surprising the "no food rule"- I am involved in a historic racing class, and we have been quoted ridiculous $$$ to race at Taupo, as have other classes. Maybe the board of directors think the have an F1 track there and can charge accordingly??!!!
Is that at the A1? There are more reasons behinde it, basically everyone said no after last years event.

From my perspective they have to change the sand traps, the dust has always been a problem.
Old 24 May 2008, 14:56 (Ref:2210501)   #21
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ

Indianapolis does that in the USA with the food, forcing teams to buy everything though them at exorbitant rates.

I'm all for making a profit, but that is probably tilting towards the excessive with the food bit.
Old 24 May 2008, 15:01 (Ref:2210503)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog
There was an article recently in the Herald about the track being in financial strife.

Taupo is a really nice facility, other than the track being a bit narrow for my taste, I really do like the place.
Old 24 May 2008, 21:25 (Ref:2210787)   #23
V8's rule
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ
Is that at the A1? There are more reasons behinde it, basically everyone said no after last years event.

From my perspective they have to change the sand traps, the dust has always been a problem.

DJJ........You are right, there are far more reasons.......Than merely food......Dust is an issue but that can be fixed, and with out spending a lot of money.......The primary reason is that A1 treat us like third class citizens.

Essentially the A1 crowd think they are F!.........And that they are doing us some sort of favour allowing us to be on the same ticket.

We happen to believe that a significant number of people make the
trek to Taupo, because the NZV8's are on the card.........We may be wrong.......But as we are treated like "S"......We don't have a lot to lose.

On the other hand if we are right, then the A1 people......Might be more helpful.........The following year when the they run at Hampton Downs.

Worth a punt dont you think?

Old 24 May 2008, 22:18 (Ref:2210820)   #24
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Taupo is a really nice facility, other than the track being a bit narrow for my taste, I really do like the place.
Agree it is nice (very picturesque) but lets face it they have struggled to get the crowds to the middle of the North Island for the last 2 years.

I'm with V8 rule on Hampton Downs, makes much more sense to have the A1 next to the crowd. Got both Auckland and Hamilton to draw numbers from.

As for V8's being treated like **** well that one I don't think will ever change. How do V8SC get on at the F1 meetings?? Have not been to one but my gut would say similar to A1 vs NZV8. Champ Car, Indy at Surfers and V8SC relationship seams like a bit more of a level pegging though.

On the food thing at Taupo I thought the rule was teams can bring in food but could not cook on site.

Last edited by NAC; 24 May 2008 at 22:23.
Old 25 May 2008, 01:31 (Ref:2210942)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Essentially the A1 crowd think they are F!.

Well that does not surprise me.

If those involved don't feel it's worth it for time and effort expended, then don't bother. I always look for a mutual benefit in situations like this and if the other side isn't appreciative then see ya. You would think A1 would be appreciative as NZV8's would fill a cold track when A1 isn't running, plus draw some extra local interest to the meeting. Other than Jonny Reid, I doubt much of the general public would be familiar with any other A1 driver.