south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drifting MR2s

Don't see many, are they a bit tricky?
Old 22 Nov 2008, 21:50 (Ref:2339769)   #2
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would imagine the wheelbase is a bit short for drifting?
Old 22 Nov 2008, 23:52 (Ref:2339836)   #3
royalwithcream
Rookie

royalwithcream should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very tricky and frustrating to learn in. Combination of the short wheelbase but more importantly the engine in the back. You have to catch the back end really quick to stop yourself from spinning. Everyone I've seen drifting has spent more time backwards than sideways!
Old 25 Nov 2008, 12:48 (Ref:2341389)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
MR2's are notoriously quick to break away once they've gone past the grip limit - easy to get sideways, very hard to stop sideways becoming backwards (or sideways,backwards,forwards,backwards,tyrewall )
Old 25 Nov 2008, 22:19 (Ref:2341734)   #5
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mid engined, short wheelbase.. nasty rear end damage

I might try and build one on Forza just to see how holding the drift is
Old 18 Apr 2010, 00:04 (Ref:2674554)   #6
Ottobon
Rookie

Ottobon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1st post here

If nothing else, atleast watch this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeHaMdset9Y

I didn't join this forum for drifting, but considering i bought a MR2 while i was going through my Initial D phase (hey i was in high school) i think i have a decent idea.

1st thing to keep in mind is that there are Porsches which compete in professional drifting, and please don't tell me thats somehow different then mid-engine, because if anything its easier to drift a Mid-engine car.

With that said the MR2(s) do have varying problems but i would imagine that 85-86 and 93-99 MR2s would be the best bets as i believe those are the ones with same length control arms front to rear (in 87 they shortened the rear suspension arms from 14 inches down to 12, adding both mild turn in understeer and snap-oversteer if you do get the tail out) I believe the 2nd gen cars started out with similar issues (1990-1992) and then they fixed it and made the 1993+ models more like original 84-86 year models. Toyota has a interesting way of learning i guess.

Back to modified cars: With work done specifically to correct the rear suspension geometry race ready MR2s seem to love small amounts of oversteer, the most successful racers i know actually use very large amounts of rear brake bias and exit corners in a way more in line with well balanced front engined cars (just bearly spinning the wheels, or just on the edge of it) just with more traction . So with that in mind it should absolutely be possible to drift a MR2, but one would need to take enough time to set it up, and learn to deal with the extra traction. I think the biggest difference is that instead of trying to use e-brakes to start a slide one only really needs to lean on the brakes and turn in just right, then immidiatly as the car starts sliding you need to hit the gas and balance the slide. I spent hours perfecting it in my bone-stock 89 MR2 and it can be wonderful, its just different from what most front-engine drivers seem to understand and see as "right".

Out of respect for the MR2 community i don't want to list any specific spring rates, or roll centers, but all MR2s seem to handle more admirably when given stiffer front spring rates (proportionally to the rear) and lower rear roll centers. Even with that they need much more power to hold a slide as physics lovingly plants the ass end down every-time the car gains forward momentum. This very well might mean even more smoke, which could be a plus in a judged event.

Last edited by Ottobon; 18 Apr 2010 at 00:19.