Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Jun 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2475577)   #1
petebendon
Rookie

petebendon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
INGALL ON A CURRENT AFFAIR

saw a big promo for ingall talking about idiots on the roads on a current affair tonight -- great for v8s but why not on 7?
Old 4 Jun 2009, 22:11 (Ref:2475607)   #2
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by petebendon View Post
saw a big promo for ingall talking about idiots on the roads on a current affair tonight -- great for v8s but why not on 7?
Why does it have to be on 7? If ACA want to do a road safety article (on old favouriote - beat up on young drivers, and hey bonus find out if one is also a dole bludger or illegal immigrant or any kind of immigrant really!) should they be prevented from asking the opinion of any of Australia's highest profile drivers?

And why is it great for V8s? Will ACA actually show any footage of what Ingall races or will he be just a generic racing driver who could be for all some people know that guy who drives the Red bull coloured thing in ummm... Racing 1 funny looking things.
Old 4 Jun 2009, 23:51 (Ref:2475667)   #3
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As someone who is watching less and less V8 Supercars these days, I question how good a move it was for the catagory to swap from 10 to 7. Channel 10 still seem to do more promotion of V8 Supercars than 7 do. I guess I started watching less about the time 7 took over
Old 5 Jun 2009, 00:36 (Ref:2475680)   #4
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw the preview and it has Ingall with a radar gun standing behind a post in a school zone and one mounted on the dash in a car catching various people speeding [ at very high speed ]

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 5 Jun 2009, 02:05 (Ref:2475701)   #5
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
I saw the preview and it has Ingall with a radar gun standing behind a post in a school zone and one mounted on the dash in a car catching various people speeding [ at very high speed ]
catching dummy/mummy in her BMW x5.
Old 5 Jun 2009, 02:40 (Ref:2475715)   #6
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wonder if he will call them turkeys???
Old 5 Jun 2009, 02:57 (Ref:2475719)   #7
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Hope he does more then that (supercheap auto ad comes to mind ).

The Enforcer going after stupid drivers, I'd pay to see that!! Who thinks that wouldnt be entertaining-as well as being beneficial for the community's sake of course.
Old 5 Jun 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2475843)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Held over until Monday for the fitting review of Dr O'Brien's life.. which ended today
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Jun 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2475938)   #9
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Held over until Monday for the fitting review of Dr O'Brien's life.. which ended today
yeah so sad, great man who helped alot of people, condolences to his family. R.I.P.
Old 8 Jun 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2477502)   #10
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am no big fan of Ingall, but I don't think he is really the person portrayed by the Enforcer tag.

I TOTALLY agree, EVERY School zone should have a permanent speed camera in it before there is a speed camera anywhere else.

However, we need to change the way we hand out licences, just because people are 17 years old and have pulled the wool over the eyes of the tester. Australia start to teach your kids the basics in Primary school, then develop it over the years to make them safer, stop the rubbish about speed kills and everything can be blamed on P platers!!

Rant over!
Old 8 Jun 2009, 08:58 (Ref:2477512)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have a more interesting idea, for the long term.

Dont put schools on major thoroughfares!

That there is an issue with some drivers maintaining speeds below the signposted requirement, if the school zone wasnt on a main road, there would be no issue...
Old 8 Jun 2009, 09:07 (Ref:2477520)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
yes we can sell them and with the money buy peoples houses or maybe close some parks to build new schools

seriously GTR where is the logic in that solution (good for future schools, but no good for current ones)

then we can run buses and 100s of cars down little side streets
Old 8 Jun 2009, 09:59 (Ref:2477544)   #13
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog View Post
I TOTALLY agree, EVERY School zone should have a permanent speed camera in it before there is a speed camera anywhere else.
I couldn't agree less. 40 kph is unrealistically slow on main roads and it is too easy to make an honest mistake with constantly varying speed limits on a single road. A friend of mine was caught recently. He was at traffic lights and forgot he was in a school zone, the lights turned green and he turned right onto the main road and got done for 45kph, nothing dangerous and not a kid in sight.
Old 8 Jun 2009, 10:10 (Ref:2477550)   #14
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would prefer that (sorry to your mate) than getting a fine for 104 KpH on a brand new freeway..........
Old 8 Jun 2009, 12:27 (Ref:2477645)   #15
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about we teach kids how to cross the road ? Growing up in the 80s I remember TV adds played during kids programming teaching kids how to look before crossing the road. The only thing run during kids TV now are toy and snack adds.
Old 8 Jun 2009, 12:42 (Ref:2477655)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
yes we can sell them and with the money buy peoples houses or maybe close some parks to build new schools

seriously GTR where is the logic in that solution (good for future schools, but no good for current ones)

then we can run buses and 100s of cars down little side streets
Do we need all the schools we currently have in place, is their use maximised to the full potential? I am not a fan of 100 people in a classroom, but I also baulk at having 2 primary schools in the one street, one right near a railway line and not much else, and another on a main arterial intersection where the whole world is inconvenienced by the 40 km/h rules

Logical conclusion, merge the two into one, near the railway station, and near the almost zero traffic... and allow the main thoroughfare to continue to operate at 70 km/h as it was initially intended.
Old 8 Jun 2009, 22:46 (Ref:2477997)   #17
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
How about we teach kids how to cross the road ? Growing up in the 80s I remember TV adds played during kids programming teaching kids how to look before crossing the road. The only thing run during kids TV now are toy and snack adds.

Hector the Road Safety Cat. Watch him in action

(is there nothing YouTube can't do ??)

Back on topic: (at least A Currant Affair ) at least Rusty didn't slag off Tracey Grimshaw, like that Pommy ****, Chef Ramsey proceeded to do after being on the show.

Is A Currant Affair, anything like a Current Bun
Old 9 Jun 2009, 01:55 (Ref:2478067)   #18
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ramsey was good and funny when he first hit the scene, his 15 minutes is over & now he is just an egotistical old ******** looking to keep the 15 minutes going. i'm no Grimshaw fan but that totally unprovoked and not on.

anyway back on topic, i thought it was a decent piece done with Rusty.
Old 9 Jun 2009, 03:49 (Ref:2478090)   #19
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog View Post
I am no big fan of Ingall, but I don't think he is really the person portrayed by the Enforcer tag.

However, we need to change the way we hand out licences, just because people are 17 years old and have pulled the wool over the eyes of the tester. Australia start to teach your kids the basics in Primary school, then develop it over the years to make them safer, stop the rubbish about speed kills and everything can be blamed on P platers!!

Rant over!
I don't think that's the answer.

If you saw the article, Ingall was also blocked off by another driver who was keen to stop Ingall from merging safely into the one lane; Ingall also had other drivers cut in front of him to reduce his safe following/braking distance...

Aussie drivers are the worst in the world. Our driving standards leave a lot to be desired. It's no wonder some people believe Australia is part of Asia, they must of course be referring to our driving competency.

Make licenses worth $5K and include driver training... then we'll see how keen some people are in obeying road rules and exhibiting proper driving etiquette!

Well done to Ingall on the program. Like Ingall, as a father of young kids, I can see where he's coming from.
Old 9 Jun 2009, 04:28 (Ref:2478098)   #20
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby View Post
I don't think that's the answer.

If you saw the article, Ingall was also blocked off by another driver who was keen to stop Ingall from merging safely into the one lane; Ingall also had other drivers cut in front of him to reduce his safe following/braking distance...

Aussie drivers are the worst in the world. Our driving standards leave a lot to be desired. It's no wonder some people believe Australia is part of Asia, they must of course be referring to our driving competency.

Make licenses worth $5K and include driver training... then we'll see how keen some people are in obeying road rules and exhibiting proper driving etiquette!

Well done to Ingall on the program. Like Ingall, as a father of young kids, I can see where he's coming from.
SSbaby, I like you belive that driver training is the best solution. As a current restricted provisional driver in New South Wales, the licencing test I was placed under is a joke. To get my licence, all I had to do was drive through a few blocks, do a reverse curb side park, pull the car up and start the car on a hill. And the government says that is hard, what a laugh. When I am driving, half the time, it's white knuckle driving, scared if someone is going to smash their car into me and then blame it on me because I'm "inexprienced". Just the other day I was driving past a fast food restraunt, obeying the road rules when a woman in a 4 wheel drive Toyota Prado comes out of the drive thru without seeing me and in a total disregard of the road rules (she needed to give way to me). Fearing that her Prado would wipe the left hand side out of my Ford, I had to take a risky manouver to try and prevent this Prado slamming into my old, trusty Ford sedan. The reason why this woman didn't see me? One hand was on a mobile phone, the other trying to dig out some food from a chicken bucket and her focus was on the food, not on the road with the Prado gaining speed.
Another example was a few nights ago, I was going to the main part of town to pick up some takeaway dinner and a person in a V8 ute, pulling from the kerb by what I can describe is an impromtu burnout, decided to follow me down the road near my house. He was only a hair's breadth from the rear bumper of my Ford and kept on pressuring me to go faster while I was obeying the 50km/h limit by driving in an aggressive matter, flickering his lights to high beam, etc.

What about to gain a provisional licence, people will need to pass an advanced driver training course. Because not only the inexpreienced are the ones to blame, the more expreienced drivers (such as the two in my examples) are also the ones that are causing people to have unnecssary risks day in, day out.
Old 9 Jun 2009, 04:31 (Ref:2478099)   #21
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i am yet to understand how we can have laws for 2 wheel riders that say until time x you cannot ride anything over 250cc (is it black license?) yet soon as you are on your P's for 4 wheels you can go and buy the latest ricer rocket and wrap yourself around a tree.

the stupid thing is, with 4 wheels, you are more likely to have passengers and in doing so are putting more people in harms way

riders now have to go through a skills day at a training centre

kids get in these ricers with their abs, traction control etc etc, get used to them without knowing the limits these aids can increase, and then jump in some other car without these aids and hey presto "here i come power pole!!"

the answer? i would think a day at something like Luffy's school, AND at the very least no cars with engines over a certain kW output (120?) until they have done 5 years from the start of their P's.
Old 9 Jun 2009, 06:23 (Ref:2478136)   #22
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
What about to gain a provisional licence, people will need to pass an advanced driver training course. Because not only the inexpreienced are the ones to blame, the more expreienced drivers (such as the two in my examples) are also the ones that are causing people to have unnecssary risks day in, day out.
That sounds like a great idea. Make driving a privilege, not a right.

There's many things I don't like about the 'speed camera' system we've somehow come to accept over the years. It's almost impossible to safely overtake slow traffic hazards because of the unrealistic speed enforcement laws we now have in place. There's too many cars 'undertaking' from the left because the right hand lanes are hogged by inattentive drivers. The right lanes were reserved for faster moving vehicles once upon a time...

I don't understand how overtaking rules could possibly be the same for all vehicles? How is overtaking a B-Double on the road the same as overtaking a motorcycle? Well the current speed laws don't allow you to differentiate between the two. One would take much longer to overtake than the other and visibility is obviously different and the road surface/conditions vary as well. Therefore, why should the same rules apply? Naturally, I'd rather overtake a B-Double as soon as I could, if I deemed it safe to do so. However, you cannot do that if you have to remain below the posted speed limit. That scenario is dangerous!

These are just some of my pet hates relating to speed enforcement and speed camera devices, in general.

However, we've lost all ethics in regards to school zones...
Old 9 Jun 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2478248)   #23
PhaseIII
Racer

Australia
In a Land Down Under
PhaseIII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well... if they didn't put 'School Zones' on a 70-80-100 kph stretch of 'major arterial' road, that has an 8' high fence down the median + an overhead bridge + NO school entrances on said road... ???

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of 40 kph school zones in the side & back-streets - where the 'kids' are! (and where their parents happily 'double-park' & stop on the 'pedestrian crossing' to drop-of/pick-up their 'darlings', without any thought to everyone-else's children/other road users).

If the 'authorities' demonstrated that they are 'fair-dinkum' - then 'MOST' (99.9%) of drivers would 'respect' the decision to place 'speed zones' where they are 'fair-dinkum'.

The same goes with 'Road Works' - I despair at the MANY 'zones' that are better roads than many country roads (zoned 100/110 kph) that are 'zoned' 80-60-even40 - WHEN NO-ONE IS WORKING!!! Again - I'm more than happy to comply with speed restrictions where road workers are 'active' & in danger, - BUT when a 4 lane road (eg. the F3) which has a concrete barrier between the cars & the 'work area' & long after the workers have gone home, still has an 80kph limit (policed veraciously with radar units) . You have to ask...
Who is being Fair-Dinkum ???
Old 9 Jun 2009, 10:07 (Ref:2478252)   #24
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I have a more interesting idea, for the long term.

Dont put schools on major thoroughfares!

That there is an issue with some drivers maintaining speeds below the signposted requirement, if the school zone wasnt on a main road, there would be no issue...
There is a better system in use in Germany. There is a speeding sensor approaching the school. If it detects a car speeding then the traffic lights immediately in front of the school turn red. While a speeding driver might shoot straight past a radar gun, a red light makes them think twice.

But a red light doesn't raise revenue does it. When presented with a tax or a safer option watch the Australian politician select the tax every time.