Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Nov 2016, 00:03 (Ref:3686639)   #51
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
This isn't strictly the right place for it but I think it is the closest for it...

After completely unscientific research on my ~45 minute drive to work I have raised a question... How the hell is Nissan affording their race program?

I have seen a grand total of 2 Altimas _ever_ on the road, and barely ever see any Nissans at all, those that I see are mostly Xtrails or Patrols.

Nissan seems to be solidly holding down about 7th spot, and the only cars in their respective top-10s are the Qashqai and the Patrol.

This for me begs the question where has $10m come from to go racing, from approximately 60k car sales a year? This must be a massive slice of their budget let alone their marketing budget.
You might just be surprised at the size of the importer withholds in margin they keep when onforwarding cars to dealers' floor plans...

Generally, this is the source of funds to go racing... although the number Nissan is said to be kicking the tin to NisMoAu is around half the number you quote.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 9 Nov 2016, 00:08 (Ref:3686640)   #52
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Generally, this is the source of funds to go racing... although the number Nissan is said to be kicking the tin to NisMoAu is around half the number you quote.
I was trying to take a stab on total cost from 2013 to now. Real chunk of change.

Never seen sales figures on the Altima, but they CANNOT be good. Knowing the way most marketing departments run, I couldn't see this kind of expenditure going on at very many places.
Old 9 Nov 2016, 00:18 (Ref:3686643)   #53
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I was trying to take a stab on total cost from 2013 to now. Real chunk of change.

Never seen sales figures on the Altima, but they CANNOT be good. Knowing the way most marketing departments run, I couldn't see this kind of expenditure going on at very many places.
It's not just about the Altima though, that's just the model they're racing - it's about the Nissan (& Nismo) brands. The spend most likely is part of the overall marketing budget.

Car companies marketing budgets are normally pretty strong, just advertising expenditure can be around $30 plus million per annum for a mid-pack player at least, and allegedly $65-$70 million at the upper end.

From there it's simply a question of where to "weight" the spend and the value the company sees in each sponsorship or spend area. Clearly in this case they see value in the racing activities - and it wouldn't surprise me if there is some assistance from the Nismo world motorsport budget out of Japan.
Old 9 Nov 2016, 00:27 (Ref:3686645)   #54
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
tried to find some info on the altima, as you mentioned hard to find

In 2015 they sold under 4000 altimas The exact number i cant find so it could be 100 or it could be 4000

however i found this from April 2015. YTD Nissan Altima (up 72.7 per cent),

I did find for January 2014 they sold 109 Altimas. Extrapolate that number times 12 months then multiple by a 72.7 % increase puts us at about 2250 sales per year

Then taking your 10 Million (i may have misinterpreted that number)and dividing by 4 years so $2.5 Million that would mean around $1000 per car is going into racing in 2015

Im not convinced i have ever seen an altima on the road

Last edited by peckstar; 9 Nov 2016 at 00:32.
Old 9 Nov 2016, 00:28 (Ref:3686646)   #55
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
tried to find some info on the altima, as you mentioned hard to find

In 2015 they sold under 4000 altimas The exact number i cant find so it could be 100 or it could be 4000

however i found this from April 2015. YTD Nissan Altima (up 72.7 per cent), (which means they could have moved from about 200 cars to around 345 cars)

But i cant find any actuals
Its in a VFACTS data file that gets circulated under threat of death (or stopping the supply of said data) if it were to be shared...

If there are 4,000 Altimas in the whole of Australia since launch I would be amazed.
Old 9 Nov 2016, 00:48 (Ref:3686649)   #56
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Its in a VFACTS data file that gets circulated under threat of death (or stopping the supply of said data) if it were to be shared...

If there are 4,000 Altimas in the whole of Australia since launch I would be amazed.
my edited post (added some more research) above suggest that there could be 4000 maybe even 6000
Old 9 Nov 2016, 00:58 (Ref:3686652)   #57
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You might just be surprised at the size of the importer withholds in margin they keep when onforwarding cars to dealers' floor plans...

Is that for the GT3 program as well?
Old 28 Nov 2016, 01:42 (Ref:3691604)   #58
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen the figures to the end of 2015 from Vfacts, at which point they had sold 3549 Altimas since they were introduced. 2015 sales (1488) were down slightly from 2014 (1791).
Old 28 Nov 2016, 02:10 (Ref:3691613)   #59
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You'd probably have to look at cars like Altima as a 3 year cycle, as they get turned over at the end of their leases.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 03:51 (Ref:3691624)   #60
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
You'd probably have to look at cars like Altima as a 3 year cycle, as they get turned over at the end of their leases.
Its 4 years where we are.. and not Altimas but god-awful Mondeo diesel wagons to put up with
Old 28 Nov 2016, 03:56 (Ref:3691625)   #61
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My condolences.