Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 21 Feb 2018, 13:23 (Ref:3802904)   #551
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
If anyone that follows these things remembers, JLR bought a huge collection of classics (which included a lot of Jags) a while back, and they're now sending some or the unwanted cars to auction. Reminds me a bit of the stuff they get at Kings Lynn. Metro Turbo, anyone? I've been told that Bicester Heritage is worth a visit, so maybe......

https://www.brightwells.com/classic-...ue-21st-march/
Wow I had better not go. There are some great cars there. Bedford camper van for me.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 13:34 (Ref:3802906)   #552
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Wow I had better not go. There are some great cars there. Bedford camper van for me.

Surely the Marina, Iain?
Old 21 Feb 2018, 13:36 (Ref:3802907)   #553
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are a few interesting cars on the list. The MG Meastros could be good value. An underrated car in its day because it, like everything else, was overshadowed by the Golf GTI.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 13:38 (Ref:3802909)   #554
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like the Rover P6 Estate as I think a now late friend of mine designed it.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3802943)   #555
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Dont you think about our planet then! I'd go for a pedal car, love the Blower!
Not only because I can't afford the real thing…
Old 21 Feb 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3802946)   #556
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
There are a few interesting cars on the list. The MG Maestros could be good value. An underrated car in its day because it, like everything else, was overshadowed by the Golf GTI.
As I was working for the local Austin distributor when the Maestro came out, I had a 1600HLS to drive for a while. It wasn’t a bad car, and if my memory serves me correct, the gearbox was actually VW Golf, and the suspension a direct copy. Our Boss had an early carb engined MG Maestro with digital dash, and the Chairman a Dolly Sprint (instead of usual Jag), as we had to be seen to be downsizing to save money at the time!

Maestro Turbo from memory very quick, as were the Rover Tomcat and 600Ti turbo saloon.......
Old 21 Feb 2018, 18:32 (Ref:3802985)   #557
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Surely the Marina, Iain?
They were happy days for me . I was going through a divorce in the early eighties . For a few months I went and worked at our local BMC dealer . The car salesman was a strange chap and he lived in his E Type Jag . This was usually left in the car park . Well one winter night we had loads of snow. Yes guess what we got into work and had to dig him out . I got on well with him as he was a Motor Sport fan . The garage closed a few months after I left and sadley this chap had nowhere to live . Ended up on the streets and passed away . Funny how your memory gets jogged from time to time .
Old 22 Feb 2018, 00:10 (Ref:3803050)   #558
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"They were happy days for me. I was going through a divorce. "

Not normally associated sentiments.

Metro, Maestro, Montego. Naturally aspirated and turbo. Me and MGDavid have the t-shirt on those!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 22 Feb 2018, 15:17 (Ref:3803175)   #559
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
"They were happy days for me. I was going through a divorce. "

Not normally associated sentiments.

Metro, Maestro, Montego. Naturally aspirated and turbo. Me and MGDavid have the t-shirt on those!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
My friendly garage man is trying to convince me I need one of the three MG TF's he's currently got cluttering-up the place. Two of them are non-runners at the moment...
Old 22 Feb 2018, 15:28 (Ref:3803185)   #560
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1954 or 1998?
Old 22 Feb 2018, 15:36 (Ref:3803187)   #561
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
1954 or 1998?
Not 1954 sadly, Peter!
Old 22 Feb 2018, 15:54 (Ref:3803197)   #562
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Don't bother then.
Old 22 Feb 2018, 16:22 (Ref:3803202)   #563
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Don't bother then.
I wasn't planning to! They go for rather better money here than in the UK though. Almost worth buying a couple on eBay & importing them.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 07:18 (Ref:3803538)   #564
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Happy birthday Gordon . 😀
Old 24 Feb 2018, 07:24 (Ref:3803540)   #565
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Second on the grid, which tells us something!

Many happies Gordon, hope you’re somewhere warm to enjoy it.....
Old 24 Feb 2018, 08:01 (Ref:3803546)   #566
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yup happy birthday Gordon.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 08:08 (Ref:3803547)   #567
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Second on the grid, which tells us something!

Many happies Gordon, hope you’re somewhere warm to enjoy it.....
My thoughts exactly - hope Gordon's somewhere warmer than here. Many Happy Returns, Gordon!

Mike, is it going to snow in Norfolk next week? I really need to make a trip, my brother's in the dreaded N&N.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 08:25 (Ref:3803549)   #568
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
My thoughts exactly - hope Gordon's somewhere warmer than here. Many Happy Returns, Gordon!

Mike, is it going to snow in Norfolk next week? I really need to make a trip, my brother's in the dreaded N&N.
Mmm, Wednesday not looking too promising, but from experience when this cold snow less likely. However, this is pretty rare weather coming......
Old 24 Feb 2018, 08:28 (Ref:3803551)   #569
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed. I'm supposed to be testing at Goodwood next Friday. Currently showing 3c and snow!
Old 24 Feb 2018, 08:34 (Ref:3803556)   #570
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Indeed. I'm supposed to be testing at Goodwood next Friday. Currently showing 3c and snow!

It's -3 here this morning but a beautiful sunny day, no frost snow or anything.

Some friends drove from Scotland yesterday & are a bit shocked at how cold it is here!
Old 24 Feb 2018, 12:09 (Ref:3803588)   #571
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
John, your friends should be prepared to real coldness and snow if the forecasts are accurate… Dont laugh, they are… sometimes!
Old 24 Feb 2018, 12:35 (Ref:3803594)   #572
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
John, your friends should be prepared to real coldness and snow if the forecasts are accurate… Dont laugh, they are… sometimes!
I find Meteo France generally to be pretty accurate, or at least they are locally around here. If they say it is going to rain at 3 o'clock it usually does.

I help out sometimes with track days at Abbeville. There is a Meteo France station in the former airfield control tower & they are always very accurate.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 14:49 (Ref:3803619)   #573
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It's -3 here this morning but a beautiful sunny day, no frost snow or anything.

Some friends drove from Scotland yesterday & are a bit shocked at how cold it is here!
I don't expect they're Scottish friends then, -3 isn't cold for this time of year, even in London. It was -1 here this morning but there's a biting easterly wind which cuts right through you.
Peter, the local weather forecast has gone from doom, pestilence and armageddon snow tomorrow to light snow showers on Monday night so I wouldn't worry too much about Goodwood just yet.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 15:01 (Ref:3803621)   #574
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
There is a Meteo France station in the former airfield control tower & they are always very accurate.
Yep, that's what I use to do when racing at Spa or some other tracks, ask for the "dernière" at the nearest airfield. Seeing what is done for events like Rolland Garros or F1, weather forecast can be very accurate but in those cases you have to pay for.
Abbeville? Are you a drifter John? I've been told the school there is rather good but didn't tested it yet.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 20:16 (Ref:3803686)   #575
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Yep, that's what I use to do when racing at Spa or some other tracks, ask for the "dernière" at the nearest airfield. Seeing what is done for events like Rolland Garros or F1, weather forecast can be very accurate but in those cases you have to pay for.
Abbeville? Are you a drifter John? I've been told the school there is rather good but didn't tested it yet.
No, not a drifter, Gerard. A friend of mine runs Lotus track days & I sometimes do a spot of marshalling for him. As you probably know, Abbeville is a little wide open & bleak, so not the ideal place on days like this!
Closed Thread