Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:00 (Ref:2932419)   #51
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Dealing with Murdoch in the current circumstances? BBC should be ashamed of themselves.
To be strictly accurate Murdoch does not own Sky, he is a 39% shareholder & has withdrawn his proposal to take it over fully.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:03 (Ref:2932421)   #52
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
39% Close enough for me!
Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2932422)   #53
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Just to quote a bit of the F1 Fanatic blog linked above:
For 12 months of Sky Sports a new user will have to pay £487. And that’s only if you want to see the action in standard definition.

To see every F1 race in HD next year the price goes up to an eye-watering £610

I am LIVID about this, and will not be paying sky a penny of my money. What kind of dimwit at the BBC came up with this half-arsed idea?

I suppose the BBC will be happy showing repeats of "Murder she Wrote" and "Columbo" to a nil % audience share on Sunday afternoons.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:11 (Ref:2932424)   #54
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Be nice if BBC dropped it altogether and started broadcasting more lowly events who i am sure wouldnt charge them a bean and we may get some good action to watch and see a revival in national motorsport (I can dream).
Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:15 (Ref:2932425)   #55
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Worlds biggest middle finger to you Bernie ! I will not be helping to line Murdochs pockets. Come on BBC what are you playing at ? Make cuts somewhere else. The BBC have had fantastic coverage and i would pay more in licence fee to keep it. Being shown on Sky sports will it have adverts ? If so who wants that ? F1 is the only sport i watch and never miss and is now being taken away from me. I am sure i have heard the poison dwarf saying F1 WILL ALWAYS BE FREE TO AIR ! Come on FOTA step in and save us all ! I am so
Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:17 (Ref:2932426)   #56
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I too hate football and will not pay to line the pockets of the likes of Rooney and I think from my findings many motorsport fans feel the same way with a passionate dislike of football.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:19 (Ref:2932427)   #57
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Be nice if BBC dropped it altogether and started broadcasting more lowly events who i am sure wouldnt charge them a bean and we may get some good action to watch and see a revival in national motorsport (I can dream).
You are in the minority. Most sport fans want to watch the pinnicle of sports, such as F1, Football World Cup, Olympics, Wimbledon tennis etc.

Most do not want to watch a local formula ford meeting, conference level football, a regional track & field event or the Cornwall County U14 mixed tennis qualifiers.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:19 (Ref:2932428)   #58
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I am LIVID about this, and will not be paying sky a penny of my money. What kind of dimwit at the BBC came up with this half-arsed idea?

I suppose the BBC will be happy showing repeats of "Murder she Wrote" and "Columbo" to a nil % audience share on Sunday afternoons.
Yep and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it ! This is exactly what you get when you have a top heavy, obese entity which is funded by tax and not answerable to those who pay for it. In this country, we're apparently too stupid to know what's good for us. We have to be fed a diet of what the BBC and its 'bored' of governors believe we should consume.

I've been derided many times on this forum for complaining about the concept of the BBC and maybe this is the wake up call people need to realize that in 2012 it's no longer fit for purpose.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:20 (Ref:2932429)   #59
simmo151
Rookie

England
Cheltenham
simmo151 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Even though i have sky, im gutted about this, the BBC1 coverage is engaging and interesting to watch.
i hope sky sports dont put use some awful commentators like they usually do. They didnt really make A1GP interesting when they had it. some unknown presenter sat in a studio...
Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:28 (Ref:2932433)   #60
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is very disappointing news... But to be honest, there are ways around not having Sky. I'm a football fan but don't have sky sports...I never fail to see any of the matches I want to. The same with NASCAR. The Internet is a wonderful resource with many useful sites to watch whatever you like

Of course I will miss the build up and other aspects of the BBC coverage, but there will always be ways to see the race itself!

Do feel a bit betrayed by Bernie and the Beeb though.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:31 (Ref:2932434)   #61
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Be careful what you post about these things.

Racing underground got done over a few months back, so please be careful about shouting from the rooftops about live stream places.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:33 (Ref:2932437)   #62
warweezil
Racer

England
Half way up on the left - far from Home
warweezil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
To be strictly accurate Murdoch does not own Sky, he is a 39% shareholder & has withdrawn his proposal to take it over fully.
He has backed out because his nuts are in a mincer over the NoW Phone hacking problem... you can bet he WILL be back once the dust settles - unless the law changes to restrict media ownership levels.He wants it all.. news sport - everything.. hes as Greedy as Ecclestone
Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:35 (Ref:2932438)   #63
warweezil
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I too hate football and will not pay to line the pockets of the likes of Rooney and I think from my findings many motorsport fans feel the same way with a passionate dislike of football.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:35 (Ref:2932439)   #64
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Urgentemente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely gutted, and fuming when I just read the headline on BBC's F1 site.

I've no interest in footy, rugby, cricket etc so don't currently bother with any of the Sky Sports channels, and really can't justify £610-a year solely to watch one or 2 races a month (what happens when there's a big 3 or 4 week gap between races..)

Just when we'd finally got decent F1 coverage back where it belongs, without ad breaks (and with the right theme tune !) .

Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2932445)   #65
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i wonder how many casual fans f1 has lost with this decision. it has certainly lost me, i won't be watching on sky, i'd rather spend the money on a subscription actually going to see live decent motorsport.

a pity because thanks to the new teams i was really beginning to get back into f1.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:50 (Ref:2932450)   #66
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Duplicate post

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 29 Jul 2011 at 10:01. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:53 (Ref:2932455)   #67
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh well that means I shall only watch half the races as I will not get involved with any company that the Murdochs run.

Still at least the Beeb will be showing the highlights of the races that Sky covers.

Ecclestone and the Murdochs are two of a kind.

One of my fotos of Bernie was displayed ( and might still be ) above the men's urinal of one of the UK's leading kart circuits.

That is exactly what some people think of him in grassroots UK motorsport.....

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 29 Jul 2011 at 10:06.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:56 (Ref:2932457)   #68
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now the only live motorsport i can watch for a full season on freeview is BTCC. And looks like it will be the only series i follow next year. Not impressed BBC.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 09:59 (Ref:2932458)   #69
Retired
Rookie

England
EGYD
Retired should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look at this http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93455
Looks like it caught everyone by surprise. Is there hope for us yet? Somehow I doubt it.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2932460)   #70
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
I'm ****ing livid.

But, I will lay money on this - fast-forward 12 months and we'll all still be watching, and I'm sure both Bernie and Sky know that...

But, this is disgusting news. Bernie has made a massive faux-pas, bizarre how quiet the teams are being about this - or so it would seem as of today - again, fast-forward 12/24 months and you never know it could be an inspired move, somehow...
I think thats a bet you may lose, I certainly won't be signing up. I can't justify paying that amount of money for 10 races a year. I don't much care for football these days, but I still do follow what Leeds are up to so may watch the odd game but that would be it. It just doesn't make economic sense in these financially challenged times I'm afraid.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 10:04 (Ref:2932461)   #71
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandieLad View Post
So, when in the UK it will cost me around £15.00 a month on Sky to watch the F1 races. I think not.
It will be more than that. £15 (or there abouts) is basic package price, then you'll have the sports subscription on top of that.

I already have the sky sports package so nothing really changes for me to be honest, other than the poxy adverts and i am hoping that they don't bring back John Watson, i thought he was an awful commentator!
Old 29 Jul 2011, 10:05 (Ref:2932462)   #72
warweezil
Racer

England
Some Minority....

Quote:
You are in the minority. Most sport fans want to watch the pinnicle of sports, such as F1, Football World Cup, Olympics, Wimbledon tennis etc.

Most do not want to watch a local formula ford meeting, conference level football, a regional track & field event or the Cornwall County U14 mixed tennis qualifiers.
.....Although some coverage of the "lower series" - that help develop the stars for the (alleged) Pinnacle of mo'sport would be welcome, and might help remind people that there is actually a fairly large range of events that they can get up close and personal with, it might even help bring more people into the sport to Spectate, Marshal or even Compete. When you consider how many people around the UK are involved at club and domestic Championship level, and in businesses serving those competitors, officials etc thats some sizeable "minority", which would most likely grow IF the lifeblood of publicity was given to the domestic events.

F1 BTCC and WRC seem to suck all of the exposure up for themselves, the rest of Motorsport seems to be regarded in some higher circles as an embarrassing secret, and that needs to change if we are to develop world champion drivers on a regular basis, and develop a sound base for the future of British Motorsport in general.

There is more to motorsport than F1, the fans expectation that FTA meant live has been picked apart by the moneymen who care only about how much they can grab for the next annual report. Maybe it is time to look around the Domestic championships which are pretty much ignored, and deserve at least some mention in mainstream media.

Right now My licence buys me "Top Gear"and thats about it.. not a great bargain! Especially as the sole remaining F1 fan in this house will stop watching once this kicks in.. no point in watching half a show, or watching with a known outcome - can you imagine it if Horse Racing coverage was run on that basis? its Ludicrous. Half a job seems to be something we do more and more in the UK these days.

I don't think Al meant end to end coverage of the "C. Leefarquarson insurance brokers championship trophy", but there is far more that could be done for Domestic Mo'sport, and would be every bit as valid an expenditure as a delayed broadcast of an event which has already had the result splashed across the media, and is something that the BBC should now be considering as Motorsport fans have always been poorly served by UK media.

Just My Opinion.... YMMV
Old 29 Jul 2011, 10:09 (Ref:2932463)   #73
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
I'm ****ing livid.

But, I will lay money on this - fast-forward 12 months and we'll all still be watching, and I'm sure both Bernie and Sky know that...

But, this is disgusting news. Bernie has made a massive faux-pas, bizarre how quiet the teams are being about this - or so it would seem as of today - again, fast-forward 12/24 months and you never know it could be an inspired move, somehow...
How muh would you bet?

There is no way I, and most people I have spoken to, will take sky on just to see the other half of the races, of which the coverage will be third rate.

Old 29 Jul 2011, 10:11 (Ref:2932464)   #74
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Now that really cracks me up ........

Quote:

Old 29 Jul 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2932465)   #75
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I feel like this is the day F1 finally sold out. It makes sense financially for Bernie and the teams but bah, we've all been shafted here

However, having said that, I think at least half of the "outraged" people ranting on the net today will probably still watch on Sky (in some way, shape or form)

Tags
outrage, sky