Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Oct 2013, 22:50 (Ref:3324486)   #51
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljakse View Post
I'm nowhere near being Vettel's fan, but this year actually made me truly respect him as a driver, and I honestly think he is one of the all time greats.
Multi 21 really seemed awfull at the time, but all of those fastest laps in closing stages of races made me respect that too. The guy is everything a racer should have. All of those messages from the team about possible car issues - I just loved to see him set fastest laps right after them. i guess Horner offered serious bonuses for a message that would actually work on him.
And this last race - "don't even think about it"...
I actually got to like him for that.
BTW, did he make any mistakes this year at all? Whatever strategy was he played it perfectly, and had left enough reserve for relaxed fastest lap. I don't remember slightest glitch this year.
I just hope he never goes to Ferrari.
I like that game they always play on the radio Rocky and him with the fast laps and all, I think it helps Seb to keep focus when he is leading.

As for the mistakes, yes, he won the Malaysian GP giving all the haters some excuse to crucify him

I remember these, there may be more.
In Montreal he touched the wall of the champions and then went off track on turn one some laps after that when he had a huge lead, but lost nothing.
Hungary qualifying was a little messy but still came second +0.04 behind Lewis.
He had an average start in Singapore but kept the lead from Rosberg.
In Suzuka he had a bad start (too low on revs).
Old 29 Oct 2013, 09:19 (Ref:3324624)   #52
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just to be clear,Jim Clark's greatness stems from his versatility as a driver.

He won the F1 World Championship, the Indy 500 and the British Touring Car Championship. He was also pretty handy in Sports Cars, F2 and the Tasman Series.

Vettel isn't in that league, although it would be interesting to see him have a go!
Old 29 Oct 2013, 14:24 (Ref:3324752)   #53
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
But in this case the guy has been unbeatable. The car is the best, the driver is at least as good as the best, and the rules were handily changed to suit their car.

It's a shame it is easy to look at Newey, tyres, but until that changes some uf us will, sorry to say it.
Shock ! Horror ! But the RBR may not actually have been the best car this year. If it was, then Mark Webber would be a close second to Vettel in the championship and not languishing back in 5th place with less than half his team mate's points.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 14:35 (Ref:3324757)   #54
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Just to be clear,Jim Clark's greatness stems from his versatility as a driver.

He won the F1 World Championship, the Indy 500 and the British Touring Car Championship. He was also pretty handy in Sports Cars, F2 and the Tasman Series.

Vettel isn't in that league, although it would be interesting to see him have a go!
Like him or not, you can't help but feel he'd be pretty useful in a Lotus Cortina - and he'd love it too.....
Old 29 Oct 2013, 14:37 (Ref:3324759)   #55
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
And again:

RBR had never won a GP until Vettel won for them!
I don't want to dispute Vettel's achievements, but this argument is useless. From 2008 to 2009, there was a big change in the aerodynamics, and Newey built the best cars to this set of rules. Just compare the 2008 and 2009 results of Mark Webber, and you see that it wasn't Vettel who turned them into the dominant team they are today. I don't think Webber would have scored four consecutive championships, but with the 2008 Red Bull, Vettel could do little more than Hülkenberg with this years' Sauber.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3324814)   #56
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontlieue View Post
I don't think Webber would have scored four consecutive championships,
Webber never finished 2nd in the WDC while Vettel won it, not once! Admittedly he was close in 2010.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 19:45 (Ref:3324866)   #57
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Couple of nice pics from the celebration

Old 29 Oct 2013, 20:08 (Ref:3324870)   #58
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
As I posted once before, Jim Clark only drove for Lotus, do you dispute his greatness?
Yes! His accident with von Trips in the 1961 Italian GP is harshly deplorable!
Old 29 Oct 2013, 22:55 (Ref:3324920)   #59
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Yes! His accident with von Trips in the 1961 Italian GP is harshly deplorable!
It was a horrible crash.

Clark described the accident, saying:
"Von Trips and I were racing along the straightaway and were nearing one of the banked curves, the one on the southern end. We were about 100 metres from the beginning of the curve. Von Trips was running close to the inside of the track. I was closely following him, keeping near the outside. At one point Von Trips shifted sideways so that my front wheels collided with his back wheels. It was the fatal moment. Von Trips' car spun twice and went into the guardrail along the inside of the track. Then it bounced back, struck my own car and bounced down into the crowd."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_von_Trips

The case went through the Italian courts and Clark was exonerated.

If you look at the footage of the accident available on the internet; that I am apparently not allowed to post; you will see that Von Trips does move across on Clark contacting the Lotus, and there is nothing that Clark could have done to avoid the contact!

So, sorry but not Clark's fault!
Old 30 Oct 2013, 14:31 (Ref:3325138)   #60
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An interesting piece here from Autosport's Giorgio Piola on the modifications made to the RBR after the summer break. There's no single killer upgrade here... nothing dramatic... just a lot of little things. Also, in the case of Singapore, they reverted back to a format they used in Hungary... but with some tweaks to deal with tyre marble cast-offs etc... It's clear that much of this stuff fits in with Vettel's detail driven approach to development and is probably one of the reasons why he made more out of the car than Webber did.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 15:04 (Ref:3325146)   #61
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
congrats!

you cant win 4 in a row just by being the lucky guy in the right spot at the right time.

does this make him the greatest of all time? only time will tell but however history remembers him he has already done enough to guarantee his name will be mentioned in any such conversation...and he is still in his 20's.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 15:49 (Ref:3325164)   #62
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hate Vettel.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 16:12 (Ref:3325177)   #63
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I hate Vettel.
I hate cauliflower. Does that make me a bad person?
Old 30 Oct 2013, 16:56 (Ref:3325201)   #64
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Does that make me a bad person?
depends if thats your new nickname for Vettel or not. iirc cucumber is already taken.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 17:36 (Ref:3325210)   #65
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
I hate Vettel.
Did he harm you in some way ?
Old 30 Oct 2013, 17:40 (Ref:3325212)   #66
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Did he harm you in some way ?
He was probably betting that he won't win for last 5 races
Old 30 Oct 2013, 17:47 (Ref:3325213)   #67
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cauliflower is just pale brocolli. And I hate brocolli.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 18:07 (Ref:3325217)   #68
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I hate Vettel.
Come on Mekola, how can you hate someone you don't know personally ? And remember, hating makes only harm to your heart !
Old 30 Oct 2013, 21:44 (Ref:3325280)   #69
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Cauliflower is just pale brocolli. And I hate brocolli.
Oh me too. I detest edible 'trees', whatever their colour....... It must truly be the time to rid F1 of their curse. It would be a fitting campaign for a shiny new 4 time WDC, in my honest opinion.......
Old 30 Oct 2013, 22:46 (Ref:3325305)   #70
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I hate Vettel.
Hating is not allowed here...
Old 30 Oct 2013, 22:57 (Ref:3325308)   #71
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I hate Vettel.
I honestly don't understand what it is that a driver, any driver, could do to make the average armchair fan hate them?
Old 31 Oct 2013, 23:09 (Ref:3325678)   #72
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I honestly don't understand what it is that a driver, any driver, could do to make the average armchair fan hate them?
Some of the vitriol is quite concerning!

You'd have to hope that it just a result of the poster trying to express himself in limited space and time, and not an accurate representation of his true feelings!

Yikes, talk about anger management issues!

Heard about love at first sight, well, it seems hate at first sight is also a valid consept, maybe more so!
Old 31 Oct 2013, 23:11 (Ref:3325681)   #73
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
An interesting piece here from Autosport's Giorgio Piola on the modifications made to the RBR after the summer break. There's no single killer upgrade here... nothing dramatic... just a lot of little things. Also, in the case of Singapore, they reverted back to a format they used in Hungary... but with some tweaks to deal with tyre marble cast-offs etc... It's clear that much of this stuff fits in with Vettel's detail driven approach to development and is probably one of the reasons why he made more out of the car than Webber did.
Sadly, subscription only!

Would have liked to see this!
Old 31 Oct 2013, 23:21 (Ref:3325691)   #74
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
When people say they 'hate' a driver; it's an exaggeration. Noone has bought a voodoo Seb doll, a dartboard featuring Seb waving his finger about and a bullseye in the middle or invested in a telescopic rifle in time for the British Grand Prix. It's 'hate', in the way you boo and hiss at Punch at a Punch & Judy show. What they really mean is that he's annoying and he is very annoying and people log on here to let it all out. That's all.
Old 31 Oct 2013, 23:47 (Ref:3325703)   #75
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like broccoli.