Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 11 Jan 2017, 06:19 (Ref:3701730)   #76
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks Mike- I found a Rothenbach in Swissland as well!
Old 11 Jan 2017, 07:49 (Ref:3701739)   #77
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
No worry about the breakfast when "ring in", they do bake very good croissants there … And when you return to Spa just ask for a "pistolet" … almost the same thing, only the shape differs. An the spelling bien sûr !
Old 11 Jan 2017, 08:23 (Ref:3701744)   #78
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
You still have, It's called a Vauxhall
Oi! Tim. There are Vauxhalls and there are Vauxhalls...
Old 11 Jan 2017, 08:55 (Ref:3701750)   #79
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Oi! Tim. There are Vauxhalls and there are Vauxhalls...
Ignore him, Viv, have you seen his avatar.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 09:00 (Ref:3701751)   #80
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rothenbach in Florida is an even longer drive.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 09:10 (Ref:3701754)   #81
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Ignore him, Viv, have you seen his avatar.
Yeah, just realised it's a rebadged Vauxhall, it behaves like one as well
Old 11 Jan 2017, 09:34 (Ref:3701762)   #82
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Yeah, just realised it's a rebadged Vauxhall, it behaves like one as well
I didn't realise it was that nice...
Old 11 Jan 2017, 13:37 (Ref:3701816)   #83
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Someone needs to buy this- I want to see it in a race paddock somewhere this summer!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2223574066...&ul_noapp=true
Old 11 Jan 2017, 14:08 (Ref:3701830)   #84
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Someone needs to buy this- I want to see it in a race paddock somewhere this summer!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2223574066...&ul_noapp=true
Well, it would solve the Nurburgring accommodation problem!

That dealer has a few nice cars - including a really lovely Vauxhall!!
Old 11 Jan 2017, 15:40 (Ref:3701848)   #85
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Well, it would solve the Nurburgring accommodation problem!

That dealer has a few nice cars - including a really lovely Vauxhall!!
Yes, the dealer has some interesting non-exotic stuff. Nice to see.

My previous trips to the 'Ring have involved van or truck hotel in the paddock, so anything posher would spoil me.....
Old 11 Jan 2017, 15:50 (Ref:3701854)   #86
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, the dealer has some interesting non-exotic stuff. Nice to see.

My previous trips to the 'Ring have involved van or truck hotel in the paddock, so anything posher would spoil me.....

I've stayed in some nice places for the 'Ring, including the Dorint (Opel were paying!) but haven't been there since 2004. Hope to go to the 90th anniversary meeting.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 15:56 (Ref:3701855)   #87
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dorint is still as nice John.Aboat time I paid the bar a visit.Start redecorating the ceilling.!
Much nicer than the other place.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 16:03 (Ref:3701857)   #88
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Dorint is still as nice John.Aboat time I paid the bar a visit.Start redecorating the ceilling.!
Much nicer than the other place.
Had a very pleasant evening there, sharing a dinner table with a pair of karting dads - John Cleland & Keke Rosberg! The next day Keke took us for a lap of the Nordschleife, JC never having been there before. Happy days.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 17:07 (Ref:3701865)   #89
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Name dropper...

Changing subject- I bet the truck driver who has caused the Forth Road Bridge to be closed since last night is keeping his head down, and schtum on soshul meedya.......
Old 11 Jan 2017, 17:14 (Ref:3701867)   #90
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Name dropper...

Changing subject- I bet the truck driver who has caused the Forth Road Bridge to be closed since last night is keeping his head down, and schtum on soshul meedya.......
Did I hear the Leith Poleeth (or whatever they're called the wrong side of the border) want to do him for dangerous driving?
Old 11 Jan 2017, 17:17 (Ref:3701869)   #91
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Did I hear the Leith Poleeth (or whatever they're called the wrong side of the border) want to do him for dangerous driving?
Yup. He's probably pleading to be locked up for his own safety......
Old 11 Jan 2017, 20:15 (Ref:3701897)   #92
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
That seems to be the case according to the BBC.

Apparently the bridge was closed to HGVs at the time due to the wind but he went for it anyway.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 20:48 (Ref:3701898)   #93
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
That seems to be the case according to the BBC.

Apparently the bridge was closed to HGVs at the time due to the wind but he went for it anyway.
He has to be some kind of dick driving an empty tautliner in those winds, even more so over the bridge. He could've even opened the curtains and tied them back if he was in that much of a hurry.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 20:50 (Ref:3701899)   #94
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I guess it was 25-26 years ago when we (Mitsu rally test team) were dispatched to somewhere in the Alps for some Monte testing. Me driving a well laden Shogun with test car on trailer, and another one of the lads in a Merc 815 Service van. Neither of us had any previous experience of what happens in those mountains when it snows, or the winter regulations surrounding snow chains and the like. Anyway, guess what, it snowed and snowed as we climbed higher through small villages heading for our base hotel. Eventually on a hill, the van, which was leading, slowed to avoid a fallen tree branch. I did the same, then to my horror realised that he had lost all traction, and was now sliding backwards towards me. Just before impact the van was stopped by a high kerb, fortunately!

So, the van was not going any further, and of course I couldn't get traction either with trailer hooked up. Eventually, after telephone conversations with other team members at the hotel, a couple of them came down in a 4wd Galant and we unloaded the test car. It was then possible to get the Shogun and empty trailer moving, the test car was 4wd as well so was OK- and the van? We abandoned it! Next day the local garage sent a recovery vehicle for it....

It was only then, in daylight and it having stopped snowing, that we saw how close the van had been to going 'over the edge'- only the kerb had saved it.

Moral of all that? Don't ignore warning signs telling you that a bridge is closed to HGVs, or that snow chains are obligatory if you climb higher.......
Old 11 Jan 2017, 22:19 (Ref:3701912)   #95
bauble
Veteran

England
I have been in touch with Gerard today and he is having trouble with his computer which, has caused some of his post to appear in strange places, or not at all, so do not think he has gone doolally.

Mike he has tried to get in touch with you without success, I can PM you his personal e.mail if you do not have it.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 06:24 (Ref:3701969)   #96
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I have been in touch with Gerard today and he is having trouble with his computer which, has caused some of his post to appear in strange places, or not at all, so do not think he has gone doolally.

Mike he has tried to get in touch with you without success, I can PM you his personal e.mail if you do not have it.
No problem, Bob, I got his pm when got home and in front of a computer again. Will be tidied up....
Old 12 Jan 2017, 08:35 (Ref:3701980)   #97
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks Bob, Mike and John.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 09:54 (Ref:3702001)   #98
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington now owned by MSV!
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 12 Jan 2017, 10:11 (Ref:3702009)   #99
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup 21 year lease, but may need to go before competition board first.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 12:01 (Ref:3702057)   #100
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Just seen that news and posted about it in the National and Club racing section.....not sure how happy I am with Palmer having such a stranglehold on the major circuits. Overall he does seem to have improved facilities, but when trying to organise things with MSVR they aren't the easiest to deal with.....