Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Jul 2016, 20:21 (Ref:3659651)   #1
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shelsley Classic Nostalgia

A cracking weekend with huge crowds, bigger than many historic race meetings I would say. Great cars and great people.
The Auto Union, Ex Bira Maserati and all the Group B cars ans drivers and plenty to see in the paddock.
What i like is that it is completely unpretentious unlike Goodwood, Silverstone Classic, le Mans Classic etc which have been over run by the over rich who have come into the sport in the last ten years. These folk do not know much about their cars and the history while the drivers at Shelsley all had a tale to tell. Many had owned the cars for many years, often before they had any real value, and tended to them themselves. No Prima Donas!
Old 20 Jul 2016, 05:28 (Ref:3659717)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
It's good to hear that the owners of the Auto Union or ex Bira Maserati aren't over rich! Maybe it's the cost of running them.

To generalise that owners 'who have come into the sport in the last ten years do not know much about their cars and the history' is a load of ********, in my opinion..... Oh, and I've met some far than wealthy prima-donnas in my time!

Interesting that you single out possibly the three biggest (in spectator numbers, competitor numbers and profile) historic racing events in your post. They're not for everyone, obviously not for you, but are completely different to Shelsley, Bo Ness, Chateau Impney, etc.......

What would be good would be a report and some pics of the Shelsley Classic Nostalgia. As you can't provide, hopefully someone like Peter Baker and Retro-Speed were there. (Whoops, they also have a report on Le Mans Classic...)

Last edited by Mike Bell; 20 Jul 2016 at 05:34.
Old 20 Jul 2016, 07:16 (Ref:3659723)   #3
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Salt and vinegar Derwent?

If it weren't for the super rich we wouldn't see any of the cars at Silverstone, Goodwood et al. Most car owners consider themselves as only the custodians of the cars, the history is everything. If they were considered only an investment vehicle they sure as hell wouldn't be raced.

It's only the well heeled who can afford to have unique parts made during restoration. Never mind being out of reach of ordinary wallets, the cars just wouldn't exist if it weren't for people with unbelievably deep pockets.

By all accounts it was a cracking event at Shelsley, I would love to have seen the Stuck car. Although I've never thought much of the venue itself, a bit boring to drive once you get past the history. If you haven't got the grunt, the driver can't make up for much there.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 20 Jul 2016, 19:26 (Ref:3659821)   #4
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://flic.kr/s/aHskAbHv4f

Some photos here ...
Old 21 Jul 2016, 05:02 (Ref:3659866)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
https://flic.kr/s/aHskAbHv4f

Some photos here ...
Wow, wow, and wow. Especially the last pic! Thank you very much for sharing them.

Old 21 Jul 2016, 07:10 (Ref:3659878)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow indeed! I have to say the car looks quite small in those pics, whereas to Herr Stuck driving the brute must have been like threading a needle. So wish I'd been able to see it!

Just imagine in its prime turning up to rural Worcestershire and seeing that go up the hill, basically a full works attempt. The world of speed hill climbing would have been blown away. I suppose the nearest modern analogy is Seb Loeb at Pike's Peak in the factory Citroen, but even that follows a long line of works specials so isn't as much of a culture shock.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 21 Jul 2016, 09:30 (Ref:3659893)   #7
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the pics dwh. A wonderful car and great that HS drove in the old kit.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 20:48 (Ref:3660025)   #8
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My pleasure - it was a priviledge to see it !

The interview with Toby Moody was also very good and was being filmed so hopefully will turn up somewhere Audi related soon. Toby and, I think, David Ingram are to be thanked for making it all happen.

Oh, and there were Group B Rally cars too - and Morgans and all sorts -
https://www.flickr.com/gp/dwh38/1n7tEo

D
Old 21 Jul 2016, 21:17 (Ref:3660028)   #9
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toby Moody tweeted that HS presented him with one of his father's five remaining Auto Union enamel badges (only 100 were made pre-war). Nice touch.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 21:41 (Ref:3660031)   #10
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Indeed he did. Lovely moment.