Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 19 Feb 2007, 09:04 (Ref:1845300)   #26
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought,I wonder if any nimbys live near any churches and do church bell,s exceed the prescribed DB rating,s?
Old 19 Feb 2007, 09:30 (Ref:1845319)   #27
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is always a problem with them. They complain about motorways, airports, harbours, .......

But how good they can use those things when they go on their seventh holiday of the year.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 19:28 (Ref:1845715)   #28
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I used to live near a church and I can confirm it could be a bit of a pain at 6am on a Sunday morning!
Old 19 Feb 2007, 20:41 (Ref:1845768)   #29
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Just a thought,I wonder if any nimbys live near any churches and do church bell,s exceed the prescribed DB rating,s?
Not joking - I believe there were recent complaints by local residents in England because church bells were rung at the local church! Was on BBC News or in Metro, I think...

Sometimes early morning / late at night we get some of the Luton airport traffic going over but we checked everything out before we bought and moved in. We don't plan on still living here in 40 years but say they suddenly had six runways or something (!) I might feel a little put out as it's a bigger expansion than you may expect, but then we also expect expansion over the next few years because of the way things are.

I do think it's a shame that information that is readily available or easy to find (eg activities in local area - motor-racing) is ignored by some people and they then complain it "spoils their living" or whatever afterwards.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 20:59 (Ref:1845786)   #30
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
You might think that I'm taking the pxxx but our new vickers wife complained about the church bells on sunday mornings. They actually built them a new house away from the church !
Old 19 Feb 2007, 21:10 (Ref:1845799)   #31
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
You might think this is a wind up but our vickers wife complained about the church bells on a sunday morning. So they built them a new house a bit further away facing a different direction ! I live under Gatwick approach and after a few years you don't notice them.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 08:56 (Ref:1846175)   #32
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So no offers of a new house Gordon!
Old 20 Feb 2007, 21:13 (Ref:1846751)   #33
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I would'nt bother to move ,half an hour to Brands and Gatwick a pub one field away LUXURY!!!
Old 21 Feb 2007, 08:24 (Ref:1847040)   #34
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is going to become a bigger issue. As I understand it (although I can't remember where the info came from) the event that generated the most compaints about noise at Combe was actually a bicycle racing event!! People become obsessed about noise and in this case were upset by the amount of traffic going through the village.

Also on Combe though, if I recall correctly (and feel free to shoot me down if I'm wrong) wasn't a deal done initially that the circuit would self regulate at a noise level and it was found that they didn't so the level was enforced? if that is the case then my sympathy for the situation is slightly dilluted.

We watched the Bristol half marathon last year and I reckon that generated much more "pollution" than a motorsport event - they must have gone through thousands of small plastic water bottles alone, most people took one from a water station, drank a small amount and threw the bottle by the side of the road! I guess they need sealed bottles but the amount of waste was incredible, let alone thinking of the number of vehicles that must have been used to get all of the competitors there!!
Old 21 Feb 2007, 18:51 (Ref:1847447)   #35
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
This is going to become a bigger issue. As I understand it (although I can't remember where the info came from) the event that generated the most compaints about noise at Combe was actually a bicycle racing event!! People become obsessed about noise and in this case were upset by the amount of traffic going through the village.

Also on Combe though, if I recall correctly (and feel free to shoot me down if I'm wrong) wasn't a deal done initially that the circuit would self regulate at a noise level and it was found that they didn't so the level was enforced? if that is the case then my sympathy for the situation is slightly dilluted.

We watched the Bristol half marathon last year and I reckon that generated much more "pollution" than a motorsport event - they must have gone through thousands of small plastic water bottles alone, most people took one from a water station, drank a small amount and threw the bottle by the side of the road! I guess they need sealed bottles but the amount of waste was incredible, let alone thinking of the number of vehicles that must have been used to get all of the competitors there!!
As far as i'm aware the circuit did its best to regulate the noise issue to the standards set by the organising body at the time, i do recall however a few of the teams were well above the noise level and were black flagged,at the meeting that caused all of the problems we had rain and strong winds which were coming from a westerly direction carrying most of the noise straight over to yatton Keynall but away from the castle combe village so hence all 5 compliants came from the nimby's at Keynall.
I'll say it again if people buy houses near to a racing track or any type of noise thay will and can expect a little disruption afterall it was only two weekends that had what was called excessive noise,but as you've said Piglet the nimby's at Yatton Yeynall have become obsessed about the slightest mur mur of an engine noise including lawnmowwers........yes really the circuit had a complaint about engine noise and that's what it turned out to be.........very sad individuals with nothing better to do with their time
Old 21 Feb 2007, 18:53 (Ref:1847448)   #36
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet

Your right,have you read Keeping Spa Green?
Old 21 Feb 2007, 19:01 (Ref:1847455)   #37
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And now it is: keeping Zandvoort green as well. I've had a quick browse on a Belgian / Dutch forum and it seems that the nimbys there have had succes.
Zandvoort will have 7 days less noisy days this year, the A1 GP looks like it is going to be the first casualty.

Nimbys, I do not want them in my back yard!
Old 21 Feb 2007, 20:21 (Ref:1847511)   #38
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Your right,have you read Keeping Spa Green?
I can' bear to read the thread, I love Spa and can't imagine it being any different so I've just not read it!
Old 21 Feb 2007, 21:04 (Ref:1847528)   #39
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
But you should, there are some amazing things in it.
Old 21 Feb 2007, 21:23 (Ref:1847547)   #40
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
But you should, there are some amazing things in it.
Maybe I'l be brave and read it...
Old 21 Feb 2007, 21:33 (Ref:1847552)   #41
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
It is here.
Good luck.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 06:55 (Ref:1847765)   #42
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Should we all be buying a really nice future classic,quiet, economical and generally available,how about a one make series for the Preious, do you think that the spectaters would enjoy watchingrofl:
Old 22 Feb 2007, 08:36 (Ref:1847836)   #43
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has nothing to do with noise or pollution but about people getting less and less tollerant day after day!
Old 22 Feb 2007, 14:17 (Ref:1848090)   #44
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
It has nothing to do with noise or pollution but about people getting less and less tollerant day after day!
In castle combe's case that's the whole point they only have 10 race meetings a year so its hardly day after day!
Old 22 Feb 2007, 14:25 (Ref:1848096)   #45
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
True...how many test days / track days etc are Combe allowed as well?
Old 22 Feb 2007, 14:32 (Ref:1848103)   #46
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
True...how many test days / track days etc are Combe allowed as well?
Test day's are usually the thursday before the meeting or every other week depending on race meetings they only allow around 6 to 8 cars at a time.

As for trackday's there are a few during most weeks but noise levels are kept to around 100dba and usually there is a restriction on the amount of cars allowed on the circuit at anytime.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 11:18 (Ref:1867187)   #47
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not noise related but those bluddy health and safety do-gooders again!
Bedfordshire council H&S has ordered the demolition of the famous barn at Santa Pod Raceway. A great place to watch the dragsters line up, fire up, do their burnouts and launch down the strip from the unique view behind the startline. It is only this view where you can appreciate how hard it is to keep 8000bhp on the strip in a straight line, often two big black tyre marks zig-zagging all the way down. The council want the barn removed after the big FIA May meeting with a wall put up in its place - 'apparantly' it is dangerous to stand behind a car when it launches, even though the barn is at least 80ft back behind the start line. I can understand this with the jet cars, the Pod have always asked people to move when they are on. But come on - it's been there forever and somewhere to hide when it rains!
Old 15 Mar 2007, 11:37 (Ref:1867200)   #48
diddy100
Racer

England
Within ear shot of Snetterton !
diddy100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Health & Safety - HELP........ Spectators will soon be moved so far from the action that the circuits will need to install large screens everywhere so we can see whats going on. Will they start asking for all spectators to wear ear plugs as the noise from the races could damage your hearing !!!
Old 15 Mar 2007, 11:48 (Ref:1867208)   #49
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They do suggest that you wear ear plugs at the Pod ( I never do, the noise is too good!) especially get kids to use them as it is far louder than any other motor sport. But yeah, we are all being pushed further and further away in more ways than one.
Old 15 Mar 2007, 13:26 (Ref:1867258)   #50
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Tell you what with all these bloody politicians jumping on the green bandwagon (even apparently the gren party are saying some of the suggestions are over the top) I am begining to worry about the soft option high impact of banning motorsport. Don't say it can't happen as it has in the past (Suez Crisis).