Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 31 Aug 2007, 16:20 (Ref:2000946)   #101
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or the guy who complained most about the noice at Zolder.
And about every other day he flew his fighterjet low over the houses near the track.
Old 31 Aug 2007, 21:01 (Ref:2001081)   #102
PeterM
Racer

United Kingdom
Wellingborough
PeterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happens everywhere. Stanstead airport had some 18,000 noise complaints in 2006. Over 15.000 were submitted by 6 people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you buy a house near an airport/race circuit expect noise.
Old 31 Aug 2007, 21:31 (Ref:2001086)   #103
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy100
The anti Snett people have now posted a note through all the houses nearby giving people the telephone number of the council's environment dept and asking people to call and complain about the noise whenever they hear a car or bike going around the circuit !!! Some people are now complaining about everything !! - recent school fete, and the local village social club that is the only amenity in the village. we are having "fun" discussions with these "NIMBY's" at the moment.
So they trespassed onto your land, then fly tipped though your door!

Put a sign up as well saying 'no unwanted junk mail' then if they post again you can always do them for that.

Have they actually sat down and talked to Snett yet? How about a local by-law referendum style? Can someone run as in independent council member and be pro-motorsport maybe to even it up.
Old 1 Sep 2007, 12:09 (Ref:2001291)   #104
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't help thinking that sport needs a legal protection from noise "pollution" except during the night (with exceptions 4 nights a year).
Old 1 Sep 2007, 16:02 (Ref:2001352)   #105
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1

Put a sign up as well saying 'no unwanted junk mail' then if they post again you can always do them for that.

Have they actually sat down and talked to Snett yet? How about a local by-law referendum style? Can someone run as in independent council member and be pro-motorsport maybe to even it up.
LOL then that person would be the NIMBY enemy no1

if only he he
Old 16 Sep 2007, 14:53 (Ref:2014649)   #106
smh
Rookie

United Kingdom
East Sussex
smh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The noise test at silverstone britcar 24 was 102db, although it was a night event. Crazy thing is the car I was on was well over the limit, even with silencers, at about 109. We got it throught scrutineering but had it back to 109 for the race. Amazing thing was it wasnt picked up on the drive by noise check in the race where others were!
Part of the enjoyment of watching motorsport is the noise. Even LMP cars have to have silencers fitted, which themselves cause more problems with heat etc. It bugs me that these people are aware there are circuits nearby and if the wind changes you may get a little noise drift over your house, yet they still have the gaul to complain. Maybe these people need to be located and find someone with a legally loud car to drive past to make them aware of what noise really is!
Old 16 Sep 2007, 16:11 (Ref:2014731)   #107
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM
Happens everywhere. Stanstead airport had some 18,000 noise complaints in 2006. Over 15.000 were submitted by 6 people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is 6.85 complaints a DAY be each.

Some ppl . . . .
Old 19 Sep 2007, 17:43 (Ref:2018131)   #108
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Orwell Supersports Championship claims to be carbon neutral. They have looked at fuel used getting to the circuit as well as racing and offset with tree planting. For more information look at their website. They sent information to all of the motoring Press but very few items appeared in print. Maybe that is one direction we should be looking.

"Every Orwell Super Sports Cup competitor will be charged a fee to offset the carbon dioxide that the driver will create, for both the race car and support vehicles. Using co2balance’s carbon calculator the amount of carbon dioxide emitted will be assessed and the appropriate number of trees will be planted in the co2balance woodlands, with the trees naturally absorbing the carbon dioxide as they grow." quote from web site.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 19:10 (Ref:2018185)   #109
Marl
Rookie

Marl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ho ho ho.

Hey, Diddy, guess what? I can do the cloak and daggers thing too. Bless yer mate, bless yer.

I must say, this thread is positively HILARIOUS. No. Really.

All of you lot are letting yourself get riled up by some new guy with a grand total of 18 posts. None of my forums would stand for such a thing.

Shall I let you all into a secret? The reason Diddy is on here, posting all this crap, is because no one in the surrounding villages will support him.

Because they know how much Snetterton's noise has increased over the years.

Because they have been there over twenty, thirty -- going up to fifty -- years.

I will say one abusive thing, then hopefully get back to being cordial. You lot are selfish idiots. You have no respect for the people that your leisure impinges on. You have no respect for the affects of noise pollution on rural areas. You are, in short, selfish, selfish, SELFISH people. (I would be far more rude here, but sooooomeone's got the swearword filter on. Pfft.)

Phew! That was fun, wasn't it?

Ok. Cordial. I can do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddy
Strong support for Snett with several replies saying they must have realised that if they move next to a racing circuit there will be noise
HAH! Notice, Diddy, that all the replies came from people well outside Snetterton's noise range!

And don't throw that crappy argument at us, please, it demeans yourself again and again. We were here before it got to these levels. Fact. Snetterton got away with it, because no restrictions were placed when it was converted. Fact.

Quote:
I love the noise but I am sure the NINBYs will their tape recorders out again sending the tapes to the council.
What ho, Diddy! You didn't say that last night. You said the noise got to you sometimes.

Don't you love the internet? Anonymity. It's a GLORIOUS thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer
If our sport can be saved wouldn't it be better to silence cars to a respectable limit which keeps the surrounding nimby's fairly happy and hopefully make the lifespan of our favourate sport last a lot longer,
Hey! You're less of a selfish idiot than I thought initially. Sure, silence the cars. Another way is to push the Circuits into putting up noise proofing -- works for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N GL
It is just so sad about some ppl who have nothing better to do..
Of course we bloody well do. We don't want to have to deal with you folks either -- but you force us to. It's your own fault, so don't bloody complain.

Quote:
The anti Snett people have now posted a note through all the houses nearby giving people the telephone number of the council's environment dept and asking people to call and complain about the noise whenever they hear a car or bike going around the circuit !!! Some people are now complaining about everything !! - recent school fete, and the local village social club that is the only amenity in the village. we are having "fun" discussions with these "NIMBY's" at the moment.
Seriously. Diddy, mate. These folks can't do crap about it. Go see a certain Peter if you're that bloody bothered.

Oh, but of course you're on the Parish Council now -- doesn't that make you a NIMBY too?

Quote:
Sounds like the bunch of ******s have moved from around Combe then or not they must be a bunch of hillbilly's!!
Oh. You're not as compromising or as nice as I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM
Whoa... calm down on the exclamation points there, boy. (I just had to put that in, I mean, seriously, that's a crapload of !'s, don't you think? Far too excessive -- hey! just like the noise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix1
Don't be so bloody stupid.

Seriously, I know I said cordial, but that's a really stupid thing to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1
Ah! See, you've hit the crux of the matter. The current liaison committee is filled with people who like motor racing... you can understand then why the villagers do not see this as an option.

However, we managed to talk to the fair Jamie Hopper (manager of Snetterton) today, and he was far more willing to meet with a committee, that wasn't filled with the likes of Diddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
I can't help thinking that sport needs a legal protection from noise "pollution" except during the night
It is pollution. Fact.

It doesn't need legal protection as they can do what they damn well want. Environmental Health are coming in, because it is now aware that it is a NUISANCE. It is a nuisance that IMPACTS our lives. Just as you would complain about a noisy neighbour, we complain about Snetterton.

Quote:
Only for joe local to come and stick the minortys nose in and spoil it,
Hahahaha. Minorities. Love it. You really don't have a clue, do you?

Last thing I must say is that at least someone has sense to install a decent mod. Woolley is the only one that has been somewhat understanding of our position.

I will also let you in on the outcome of today's meeting with the licence application. I'm sure you know that Snetterton applied for 24-hour alcohol, live music stuff and late night refreshment. Well, we all duly wrote in our letters saying: "Er, excuse me? Snetterton is already so bloody noisy, our ears cannot cope with poor taste in music too".

The hearing was today, and, as expected, the licenses have be granted with restrictions. Outdoor music is to cease at 10pm (much better than 11pm, I think), it cannot be louder than the background noise -- so when the cars aren't going, the music cannot be blaring out, and there is a decible limit on the freehold site boundary. I think there's some more stuff, but someone else was talking to Hopper's solicitor who let us know the outcome.

All in all, it was an interesting morning (Diddy, you should have come, mate! ), and the residents (finally!) felt they were being listened to. Which, after reading this stupid thread, it is no wonder we've got nowhere in recent years.

Be seeing you, Diddy!

*fades back into eerie smoke, with trenchcoat and all manner of mysterious music going*

Last edited by Asp; 20 Sep 2007 at 10:04. Reason: Removal of personal attacks
Old 19 Sep 2007, 19:57 (Ref:2018228)   #110
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that was a fun post to read.

Hope your heart rate has gone down a bit now and please don't slam the door on the way out.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 19:58 (Ref:2018229)   #111
Marl
Rookie

Why would I slam the door? I don't like noise, remember?
Old 19 Sep 2007, 20:56 (Ref:2018281)   #112
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marl
<Snip>

In these days of massive use of human rights stuff (not particularly wrongly) - what about the right to peaceful enjoyment of their possessions of the circuit owners?

Last edited by duke_toaster; 19 Sep 2007 at 20:58.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 21:04 (Ref:2018286)   #113
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marl - how long have you lived near Snetterton out of interest? Would you complain about noise from airplanes / main roads too? I can't really comment on the Snetterton situation / issues / current discussions as I live about 90 mins away and any "noise issues" obviously don't affect me.

I used to be able to hear cars at Combe and occasional testing at Kemble - FWIW I had no issue, and neither did the other local non-racing people....it was only really some people in a local village.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 21:24 (Ref:2018307)   #114
Marl
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
In these days of massive use of human rights stuff (not particularly wrongly) - what about the right to peaceful enjoyment of their possessions of the circuit owners?
Oh no you do not. Do not even contemplate throwing the Human Rights Act. That has been similarly misinterpreted by people and authorities.

(And, quite frankly, you don't really peacefully enjoy, do you? As some of you have said, as well as watching the cars/bikes, it's the noise too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Marl - how long have you lived near Snetterton out of interest? Would you complain about noise from airplanes / main roads too?
I like you. And I would be one of the twenty plus yearers.

Nope, we do not, actually. The air force send their fighter planes over our village. Why don't we complain? Because they are there, then they are gone. I'm sorry, but Snetterton is a constant noise, that is the issue we are coming up against.

Quote:
and neither did the other local non-racing people....it was only really some people in a local village.
And nor would we. If it remained a background noise. But I'm afraid with recent ineffective bunding put up, the noise is funnelled towards the village. However, when one must shout to hear the noise, and it can be measured with a decibel meter by some people as over 100db... well.

PS: Ahh, I'm not a troll. I've dealt with many trolls before, and I like to think I'm more articulate than them. Really, it's just because of Diddy I'm here. Taking our local issues and displaying them to the internet. Which is rather rude, in my opinion. I'm quite aware he's not an especially prominent member of your forum, but I do think he gives us a bad name deliberately. For people like him, it's all or nothing, whereas we and Jamie Hopper are willing to compromise.

Last edited by Asp; 20 Sep 2007 at 10:01.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 21:34 (Ref:2018315)   #115
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I admit it is impossible for me to know what is was like 20 years ago due to age but have you got any facts / figures for circuit use then and now?

I would disagree Snetterton is a constant noise as from my knowledge there are not "activities" every weekend and every weekday with testing / track days etc but would presume you are saying there is more activity "than you would like."

I'm not too sure where abouts the village is as have only been through Thetford and presume not there?

*prepares to be lynched when goes to race at Snett *
Old 19 Sep 2007, 21:37 (Ref:2018318)   #116
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I would have thought 20 years ago it was a lot noisier.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 21:44 (Ref:2018325)   #117
Suze
Veteran

England
I'm interested in the activity levels though....would presume less testing / track days etc?
Old 20 Sep 2007, 07:16 (Ref:2018501)   #118
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marl - If you joined purely to vent your angst then you've achieved that - possibly! This forum is supposed to be used in a constructive manner - so that we can discuss possible solutions to problems - if you cannot act in an adult way then I suggest you find somewhere else to play. If your intention is to be plain malicious this is no place for you. As you have given no info. on your public profile I cannot comment on age or sex, also we are not allowed to make personal attacks in our posts...............!
Old 20 Sep 2007, 07:29 (Ref:2018509)   #119
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
On a constructive note I personally feel that if we saloon racers have to run silenced (I am sure if I took my V8 engined car around Marl or no one else within the vicinity would be able to hear it as it is very quite) then so should everyone. I personally get the dog when I have to fit restrictive silencers only to be on the same race card as other cars making a hell of a lot more noise and to be frank some of it aint nice at all. SO maybe if we get our house in order and impose the 105 limit ACROSS THE BOARD for everything including testing also force all cars to run air filters as much of the annoying and unpleasant noise is induction roar then it would give less ammunition to people opposed to what we do.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 08:24 (Ref:2018557)   #120
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Just a small note here - opinions are welcome, whether they disagree with the topic or not. Insults are not welcome, so please tone down the attitude.

It would be a shame to ban the only person on this thread bringing a new perspective, so play nice and perhaps something constructive can come of this thread.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 08:49 (Ref:2018575)   #121
Marl
Rookie

Oh wow. From the previous posts in this topic, generally flaming/hating/insulting us, I honestly thought I'd get howled off. The nice brigade have turned up!

Quote:
have you got any facts / figures for circuit use then and now?
Hmm, the Circuit used to operate two/three days a week. And I guess when I say constant, I mean constant all day and then then next and then the next and then the next... etc.

Quote:
I would disagree Snetterton is a constant noise as from my knowledge there are not "activities" every weekend and every weekday with testing / track days etc but would presume you are saying there is more activity "than you would like."
The trouble is, the majority of us cannot differentiate between what goes on up there! (Of course, we can tell the motorbikes from the cars -- as the motorbikes are worse).

The trouble is, even when you know what's going on up there, the wind is also a factor. You may think "EH?! But there's barely anything on the Circuit! What are those [insert appropriate expletitive here] NIMBY's going on about" -- however, because of the wind, we can hear everything very loudly.

Quote:
*prepares to be lynched when goes to race at Snett*
Drive carefully, and we won't swear at you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
I would have thought 20 years ago it was a lot noisier.
That's the general argument from the Circuit facts and figures. But we have experience going way back, so we know from our ears. And, to be honest, the facts etc. are a bit weak before Jamie Hopper took over, which was about ten years ago. Also, the wind has changed, it comes from the Circuit direction a lot more than it used to. Damn globalwarming.

Quote:
I'm interested in the activity levels though....would presume less testing / track days etc?
As I said, less cars in general and less days.

We understand the Circuit has to make money to stay alive, and we wouldn't dream of killing your sport. However, we would appreciate some of that money used to sounproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX
his forum is supposed to be used in a constructive manner - so that we can discuss possible solutions to problems
And you'll be pleased to know, that looks like it's going to happen. The hearing yesterday opened up relations.

Quote:
f you cannot act in an adult way then I suggest you find somewhere else to play.
Crikey. Got loads of places for that.

Quote:
If your intention is to be plain malicious this is no place for you.
Definitely not, but I'm afraid this thread rather gave the impression that you were all rather malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
SO maybe if we get our house in order and impose the 105 limit ACROSS THE BOARD for everything including testing also force all cars to run air filters as much of the annoying and unpleasant noise is induction roar then it would give less ammunition to people opposed to what we do.
That sounds like a good proposal! But, really, we would be happy by starting with decent soundproofing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Y
It would be a shame to ban the only person on this thread bringing a new perspective, so play nice and perhaps something constructive can come of this thread.
Noted.

And really, Diddy is playing on anonimity online, that's what annoys me. I have no tolerance for two-facers. He says one thing here, riling you all up and then says another to us.

I just wanted to let him know that he can't act like that. The internet isn't as safe as he would think.

But I would now like to move on from that -- after all, this thread is beginning to move in a constructive direction, rather than just insults being thrown at those who do not like racing!

Last edited by Asp; 20 Sep 2007 at 10:05.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 09:00 (Ref:2018585)   #122
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
OK Marl thats good lets move on.

As a matter of fact I think my air filter point is very valid and I will tell you why. I race an American V8 and have always run with a large low restriction aircleaner and as such there is virtually zero induction roar. Now I have in the past had problems getting the car down to the decible level at the frankly idiotic way static tests are conducted and I have seen other cars for example a non turboed Cosworth sale through the static test but by virtue of running unfiltered inlet trumpets on injection the thing howled like a banshee when coming past the pits and was not only noisy but positively painful on the ears WHEN FLAT OUT UNDER LOAD and could never be described a a pleasant noise. Now the rub was I was struggling getting past the static test, this car passes with no problem yet on the track where it counts I would say it was making twice the noise and painfully high pitched than a low rumble my car makes. Make em run intake filters, good ones and that will be eradicated and who knows their engines may just last a bit longer as I think its madness not to run filters and am surprised how many don't.

A static test is for a free running engine not under any load and in my opinion is largely irrelevant.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 10:30 (Ref:2018771)   #123
Suze
Veteran

England
Quote:
Hmm, the Circuit used to operate two/three days a week. And I guess when I say constant, I mean constant all day and then then next and then the next and then the next... etc.

The trouble is, the majority of us cannot differentiate between what goes on up there! (Of course, we can tell the motorbikes from the cars -- as the motorbikes are worse).

The trouble is, even when you know what's going on up there, the wind is also a factor. You may think "EH?! But there's barely anything on the Circuit! What are those [insert appropriate expletitive here] NIMBY's going on about" -- however, because of the wind, we can hear everything very loudly.
Re the usage, I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you have a look at the MSV testing and track day calendars [here for starters http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/sn...ckdays-car.asp] there aren't events every day.... I presume you know but MSV own / run the circuit but other clubs can run and I presume do run events there too as well as testing etc. Am not saying you are wrong and that events don't run constantly as I honestly don't know because not aware of a full activity schedule publicly available, but would still be interesting to see.

Quote:
Drive carefully, and we won't swear at you.
Ok will do

Quote:
That's the general argument from the Circuit facts and figures. But we have experience going way back, so we know from our ears. And, to be honest, the facts etc. are a bit weak before Jamie Hopper took over, which was about ten years ago. Also, the wind has changed, it comes from the Circuit direction a lot more than it used to. Damn globalwarming.
Surely if you're getting older your hearing gets worse so you shouldn't be able to hear the cars as well? *ducks*

Quote:
We understand the Circuit has to make money to stay alive, and we wouldn't dream of killing your sport. However, we would appreciate some of that money used to sounproof.
How do you soundproof noise without cutting down on activity / "level of noise" cars can produce, or is that simply the only way?

To hear "we wouldn't dream of killing your sport" is a positive thing though - the last thing we want is for motorsport to die....
Old 20 Sep 2007, 11:50 (Ref:2018823)   #124
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Did'nt the still born(?) track revamp include some high banking to help elevate the noise problem?
Old 20 Sep 2007, 16:01 (Ref:2019028)   #125
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Oh no you do not. Do not even contemplate throwing the Human Rights Act. That has been similarly misinterpreted by people and authorities.

(And, quite frankly, you don't really peacefully enjoy, do you? As some of you have said, as well as watching the cars/bikes, it's the noise too).
So motorsport is not peaceful, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Peace is a state of harmony, the absence of hostility. This term is applied to describe a cessation of violent international conflict; in this international context, peace is the opposite of war.
Where is the violent international conflict involved in motorsport then?