Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 21 Sep 2007, 16:17 (Ref:2019811)   #126
UNiiQU3
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cheshire
UNiiQU3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard of these sorts of complaints at Oulton Park from neighboring villages like Tarpley. It ended up on restrictions being put on Oulton park for when they can race until and only allowing a certain amount of Sunday events.

I fail to think Donnington Park has any problem with complaints
Old 22 Sep 2007, 11:29 (Ref:2020376)   #127
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNiiQU3
I fail to think Donnington Park has any problem with complaints
I can't see residents of nearby Donnington Park have any grounds to complain, with the runway of east midlands airport stuck on the end of the circuit.
On a personal observation when I was at Donnington for the GP Live we went to a supermarket about 5-6miles away on the friday afternoon and we could hear the cars on circuit from there . On asking the check-out person about the noise her reply was " we get used to it and those events generate revenue for the local area so why complain"
Old 22 Sep 2007, 18:38 (Ref:2020563)   #128
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A C of C at Donington asked FJ cars to run with silencers but he had to wait for the overhead plane to pass before he could be heard.....?
Old 22 Sep 2007, 19:02 (Ref:2020573)   #129
CEEDEEBEE
Rookie

CEEDEEBEE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nimby's And Noise

Too many half-truths and misinformation circulating. Most of us Snetterton 'Nimbys' have had it in our backyard for up to 50 years - without
complaining. Now we get the screech of unsilenced cars and bikes 7 days a week, up to 11 hours a day. This is unreasonable. We have two schools, churches and a children's hospice in the area. Complainants have only been complaining since MotorSport took over and started running the track 7 days a week. Diddy is well sheltered where he lives. It is much easier to ignore the facts knowing you readers are of like mind.
By the way, the idea of motor racing is to win - not to see who can make the most noise.
Old 22 Sep 2007, 19:53 (Ref:2020601)   #130
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
You say screech, is it the tyre squeal you can hear as well as the exhaust and is that more or less objectionable? And I agree 7 days a week is too much and I think I would get the dog myself. Maybe if tyre squeel is a problem then this could prehaps be looked into as well as I know some tyres definitely make more noise than others.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 08:17 (Ref:2020822)   #131
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is the problem nowadays with the tracks. It is usually the track days that are causing us "racers" problems. I've spoken to many people here in Belgium about the noice problem and most of the time they say that they do not mind the race weekends, it is the 7 days a week thing what annoys most.

I do understand track owners want to earn as much as possible, but does it have to bring the race weekends into problems?

I can hardly go a weekend without my racing, but wouldn't like to live near a track. Selfish? Maybe!
Old 23 Sep 2007, 08:34 (Ref:2020826)   #132
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't think they ran "noisy" test days for cars (unsilenced). When I've booked, it's always a 108dB limit (thats at 0.5m, 45deg from exhaust outlet).

Al, induction noise is mostly quieter than exhaust noise, however it's the higher frequency that the ear perceives as louder.

You know as well as I do, a big V8 producing over 105dB sounds less "loud" compared to an 8500rpm 4 pot banshee that may only be 102dB. I got the Belmont down to 102dB and people remark on how quiet it is!!!

The corporate / experience / trackday market accounts for much of MSV's income these days. "real" motorsport (racing/testing) isn't that big in the overall picture.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 08:45 (Ref:2020833)   #133
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Not in my example it was'nt Rob, you could hear the thing approach and as soon as it pased it was quite as a mouse. Adding a proper K & N type filter is a low cost mod everyone could do and even if its only 10% of the total noise generated it would help.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 09:30 (Ref:2021554)   #134
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEEDEEBEE
Too many half-truths and misinformation circulating. Most of us Snetterton 'Nimbys' have had it in our backyard for up to 50 years - without
complaining. Now we get the screech of unsilenced cars and bikes 7 days a week, up to 11 hours a day. This is unreasonable. We have two schools, churches and a children's hospice in the area. Complainants have only been complaining since MotorSport took over and started running the track 7 days a week. Diddy is well sheltered where he lives. It is much easier to ignore the facts knowing you readers are of like mind.
By the way, the idea of motor racing is to win - not to see who can make the most noise.
Like Al i have to agree if the circuit is running 7 days a week 11 hrs a day that is too excessive everybody is entitled to a break.

To be honest i don't know how i would feel living next to a track i keep saying i'd love it but i suppose its all down to what the db level during the week is,where as castle Combe has only 10 meetings a year which all are now at 108db the local council is happy with that its when the Brit GT/F3 raced there at 118db the problems got worse.
Having said that the complaints about the noise have been around since the 70's so its nothing new to us.
I'd rather the circuit ran at 108db as this means it can continue but just means we won't see the likes of the BTCC and other inetrnatinal events which is a shame,the noise of the cars is appealing to us watching but maybe its time to take note the NIMBY brigade seem to be getting stronger how long will it be before other circuits have to put up with the same restrictions that combe have been handed with.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 10:11 (Ref:2021577)   #135
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
but just means we won't see the likes of the BTCC and other inetrnatinal events which is a shame,
If I can silence my V8's to an exceptable level I am sure they can, if they all had to do it maybe lap times down by a second or two, so what its the same for all. If the requirement was at every UK event then thats it do it or the championship dies.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 11:51 (Ref:2021659)   #136
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
If I can silence my V8's to an exceptable level I am sure they can, if they all had to do it maybe lap times down by a second or two, so what its the same for all. If the requirement was at every UK event then thats it do it or the championship dies.
Al do you run side pipes? Those do keep the noise down with out baffles or mufflers. You just need to ware ear plugs under your helmet.

If not you might be able to make some spiral baffles that can be bolted into the tail pipe if needed. I have these for my car and it bring the sound down to around 94 dbs vs 105 dbs. Loss of power about 5 hp do to the added exhaust back pressure restriction
Old 24 Sep 2007, 12:45 (Ref:2021713)   #137
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Funny you should ask that, I do run side pipes on the old 2nd gen car with Hedman mufflers and a balance pipe and its well under 102 decibles however on my black car I have been struggling with the noise and have even had to fit a pair of Supertrapps on occasions to get me through the scrutineer. Now that one exits at the rear so obviously concerntrates the sound on just one end of the car not like the other car. Because of the chassis I have had to siamese the exhaust into one then back out to two with a spiral box before it splits into two then two mufflers at the rear yet it is still marginal and something I am going to address in the off season as the engine is about to be hauled out for repair. I would like to run a dual system as I recon the siamesed set up is robbing power but I fail to see how I can with the space available as I am running a Spohn Racing torque tube.

As for wearing ear plugs, I don't maybe that is why I suffer from severe and permanent Tinitus but probably more tod with using hammer drills fitting replacement windows for many years, I will have some incar video up soon on the CTRCC site and you can see for yourself how noisy or otherwise it is :-).
Old 24 Sep 2007, 19:19 (Ref:2021999)   #138
Marl
Rookie

Marl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ugh, apologies for not replying in the last few days. Work, play, more work, bit more work, spontaneously generating superpowers and being burdened with the responsibility of saving humanity.

You know how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
here aren't events every day....
No, I'm sure there aren't, but when there are ones it goes on continuously all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Surely if you're getting older your hearing gets worse so you shouldn't be able to hear the cars as well? *ducks*
SORRY, WHAT WAS THAT? I DIDN'T HEAR YOU. LET ME GO FIND MY EAR TRUMPET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
Did'nt the still born(?) track revamp include some high banking to help elevate the noise problem?
Heh. Yes. Sort of. Except now said banking funnels the noise towards the village because it was placed in entirely the wrong spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
So motorsport is not peaceful, huh?
Different definitions. I meant purely that you like the revving of cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
As for wearing ear plugs, I don't maybe that is why I suffer from severe and permanent Tinitus but probably more tod with using hammer drills fitting replacement windows for many years,
I have to admit, that sort of thing does confuse me about the sport. I'm so protective of my ears, and yet you guys love sitting near incredibly loud machines! Doesn't it hurt/damage?

(The same can be said of clubbers, though, with music at nightclubs -- bah, can't see how they can stand it anymore, though!)
Old 24 Sep 2007, 20:19 (Ref:2022070)   #139
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I have to admit, that sort of thing does confuse me about the sport. I'm so protective of my ears, and yet you guys love sitting near incredibly loud machines! Doesn't it hurt/damage?
I don't find it hurts but probably does damage!!
Old 24 Sep 2007, 20:40 (Ref:2022088)   #140
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
My ears are a lost cause marl, if I had realised this tinitus thing would have happened in later life I guarantee I would have been more careful but as I said i dont think it was cars engine noise as such more me trying to earn an honest living.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 14:26 (Ref:2022662)   #141
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I will have some incar video up soon on the CTRCC site and you can see for yourself how noisy or otherwise it is :-).
Cool Looking forward to your videos.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 14:30 (Ref:2022668)   #142
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marl

(The same can be said of clubbers, though, with music at nightclubs -- bah, can't see how they can stand it anymore, though!)
What? What did he say?

I ware ear plugs, then put a piece of duct tape over the left ear plug. My right ear has the headphone in the helmet. Not that I can hear what anyones says, after they Yell "GREEN, GREEN, GREEN" at the start.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 21:37 (Ref:2022986)   #143
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marl

does nut hurt at all, sound can go a bit muffled when you have about 10 completely unsilenced car's scream past at full chat though, something like F1 and GT1 car's come to mind.

but i love the noise, the louder the better imo but i can understand were you are coming from though, 7 days a week constant noise for 11 hours is a too much and although i would love it for the first month or two i would tire of it and get rather annoyed.

off topic question here but have you ever been to a race meeting by any chance?, if not you may be surprised and might have a good time and enjoy yourself
Old 26 Sep 2007, 08:59 (Ref:2023274)   #144
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of the nimbys would rather complain first about the noise rather than attend a meeting,having said that with noise everyday for the duration mentioned i'd be supprised if they'd want to,i think even the most die hard of us would like some peace from time to time
Old 10 Oct 2007, 09:41 (Ref:2036678)   #145
alimaxlee
Rookie

alimaxlee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CEEDEEBEE "Too many half-truths and misinformation circulating. Most of us Snetterton 'Nimbys' have had it in our backyard for up to 50 years - without
complaining. Now we get the screech of unsilenced cars and bikes 7 days a week, up to 11 hours a day".

So you are correcting these half truths and mis-information? Your post, is in my opinion, disingenuous to say the least, with further half truths, and will inevitably simply hurt your arguement, not strengthen it with those readers on this forum.

11 hours a day?. how often exactly?.. surely not every day?... Unsilenced cars and bikes 7 days a week?.. is this actually correct???

Every test day I have attended is run to a maximum of 108 decibels, every race meeting I have been to is the same. In fact since MotorSport took over, the testing and control of noise from cars has been tightened if anything, with unsilenced cars not allowed to participate in these general days, but having to make their own bookings for specific days.

When I first started attending test days at Snetterton back in 1994, the test days were a free for all with anything rocking up and being able to test, whatever the noise, and they certainly weren't checked before they went out.

A contemporary techy if mine, who goes to Snetterton a couple of times a year, with a team who run a car in the Le Mans Series, tells me that the circuit has a strict 5.00pm finish for them as they are unsilenced?.. They have never been allowed to run 11hours.... never....

Perhaps the 11 hour days are 'track days?...and not unsilenced days as you post states? And that these happen less frequently than your post implies? Looking on the "uktrackdays" website it shows Snetterton having maybe one evening per week, if at all, between May and August and nothing outside of those times, presumably because it is darK??

I am sure, as with most controversy, that the 'truth' lies somewhere in the middle of the two opposing sides' "stories"... perhaps that is the case here? Maybe the circuit will accept that it must operate with more restriction, isn't that why they are working with the council at the moment? to find a compromise?.. and the local people will have to accept that noise is inevitable from a race track?
Old 13 Oct 2007, 19:58 (Ref:2039394)   #146
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Cool Looking forward to your videos.
Just for you Au http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En-lLjWuO-8
Old 15 Oct 2007, 13:41 (Ref:2040723)   #147
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Great Video. Thanks
Old 15 Oct 2007, 13:50 (Ref:2040736)   #148
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimaxlee
CEEDEEBEE "Too many half-truths and misinformation circulating. Most of us Snetterton 'Nimbys' have had it in our backyard for up to 50 years - without
complaining. Now we get the screech of unsilenced cars and bikes 7 days a week, up to 11 hours a day".

So you are correcting these half truths and mis-information? Your post, is in my opinion, disingenuous to say the least, with further half truths, and will inevitably simply hurt your arguement, not strengthen it with those readers on this forum.

11 hours a day?. how often exactly?.. surely not every day?... Unsilenced cars and bikes 7 days a week?.. is this actually correct???

Every test day I have attended is run to a maximum of 108 decibels, every race meeting I have been to is the same. In fact since MotorSport took over, the testing and control of noise from cars has been tightened if anything, with unsilenced cars not allowed to participate in these general days, but having to make their own bookings for specific days.

When I first started attending test days at Snetterton back in 1994, the test days were a free for all with anything rocking up and being able to test, whatever the noise, and they certainly weren't checked before they went out.

A contemporary techy if mine, who goes to Snetterton a couple of times a year, with a team who run a car in the Le Mans Series, tells me that the circuit has a strict 5.00pm finish for them as they are unsilenced?.. They have never been allowed to run 11hours.... never....

Perhaps the 11 hour days are 'track days?...and not unsilenced days as you post states? And that these happen less frequently than your post implies? Looking on the "uktrackdays" website it shows Snetterton having maybe one evening per week, if at all, between May and August and nothing outside of those times, presumably because it is darK??

I am sure, as with most controversy, that the 'truth' lies somewhere in the middle of the two opposing sides' "stories"... perhaps that is the case here? Maybe the circuit will accept that it must operate with more restriction, isn't that why they are working with the council at the moment? to find a compromise?.. and the local people will have to accept that noise is inevitable from a race track?
its annoying yes, but we have already had the argument, got the t-shirt and all
Old 16 Oct 2007, 17:54 (Ref:2042027)   #149
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks Al. Can't beat the sound of a V8. Your car looks like it always wants to go sideways too which must be hard work!!

On the noise subject, I was told in Anglesey earlier this year that my car registered 112db's....this with a standard exhaust box!! We were told to run a few bolts through the tail pipe which apparently brought it down to 105. On the pit wall you could hardly hear my car pass however a BMW M3 that was also running had a sound that was ear splitting as it passed, so bad that you had to keep ones head turned as it drove by. Are the noise tests in the UK not done during events as well as in assembly? And surely this shows that short of running at 3000rpm you can never fully silence racing cars as they are all different at racing speeds.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 19:08 (Ref:2042097)   #150
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
No mostly they are not drive by tests as i understand although I think Combe and Donington may but not sure and that has always been my argument, I bet the BMW in question was making more noise through the intake than it was from the exhaust hence my argument for mandatory air filters as a lot of that noise would be cut. Taking readings from the rear of a stationary car not underload IMO is a nonsence.