Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 19 Jan 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1205026)   #1
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you need to bed in brake pads?

I need to change my front brake pads soon but do you still need to bed the pads in? i have seen about 300 miles as a bedding in period but i do alot of motorway miles and dont have the luxury of 300 miles where i can be gentle on the brakes. I know the next day after changing them, the first time i'll need them would be for a BIG stop!
Old 19 Jan 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1205078)   #2
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont be gentle on them, thats no bedding them in. Drive up a quiet road and keep braking real hard for about 20 mins.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 00:05 (Ref:1205193)   #3
Carlos
Racer

England
Cumbria
Carlos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wont that just scorch the surface?
Old 20 Jan 2005, 02:02 (Ref:1205233)   #4
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would suggest that rather than just giving them **** for 20 minutes, it depends on the type of pad to be honest. It used to depend very much on what type of pads I ran in my race car, just how they were bedded in.

Last edited by Slippy Diff; 20 Jan 2005 at 02:02.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 02:52 (Ref:1205248)   #5
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To bed the brakes in the way I always did it was give them two really hard stops and you will feel them start to fade. Then drive around for about 10 minutes not using them to slow the car (use the gear box and engine to slow the car), by that time the heat should have gone out of them and they should be ok. It will take a week or 2 of normal driving to get heat cycles in them to fully bedded in. I wouldn't give them a hard time for 20 minutes a suggest above as you will warp the brake discs and end up with brake shudder.......
Old 20 Jan 2005, 02:52 (Ref:1205249)   #6
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It depends on how the pad is finished when produced, but here is a guide froma company that produced 55 million sets of pads per year.

In order to maximise the benefits FERODO brake pads offer the driver, it is essential they are bedded in correctly.
1. Accelerate vehicle to 60KPH. (37MPH)
2. Apply brake using moderate pedal pressure, reduce speed to 5kph (do not stop if possible)
3. Repeat setp 1 and 2 between 8 and 10 times allowing 0.3 to 0.6 km between brake applications.
4. Avoid strong pedal pressure for the first 200km. After completing bedding in procedure, the vehicle can be driven like you stole it (or in a normal manner).
Adherence to this necessary procedure will optimize the performance of the FERODO asbestos-free disc brake pad.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 08:33 (Ref:1205353)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinbond
To bed the brakes in the way I always did it was give them two really hard stops and you will feel them start to fade.
'Fading-in' isn't needed with modern pad materials. Most will not exhibit the 'green fade' characteristic which makes that process necessary; those which do are scorched as part of the production process to ensure consistent braking right from the start. Just a few gentle applications (in essence what Ferodo advises) will be adequate to bed pads in properly.

Last edited by Dave Brand; 20 Jan 2005 at 08:35.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 09:33 (Ref:1205412)   #8
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
'Fading-in' isn't needed with modern pad materials. Most will not exhibit the 'green fade' characteristic which makes that process necessary; those which do are scorched as part of the production process to ensure consistent braking right from the start. Just a few gentle applications (in essence what Ferodo advises) will be adequate to bed pads in properly.

No quiet correct. We have found the Ferodo way to promote disc warping. I have a lot experiance with brake issues with working in GM dealerships. 2 good stops is enough to bed them in without stressing the brake disc
Old 20 Jan 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1205609)   #9
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the info guys. Was planning on changing to standard pads from manufacturer, as the current Tar-0x pads now seem to struggle without putting quite a force onto the pedal and and planning on selling it in a month or so.