Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2017, 16:03 (Ref:3733636)   #1
pagey318
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 69
pagey318 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rounds 10, 11, 12 - Oulton Park

Oulton Park this weekend...

What do we think will happen? Will the BMW dominate at what is normally kind to RWD? Will Subaru begin their fight back as we approach RWD friendly circuits? Will Tom Ingram continue his good form and mature drives to extend or maintain his title push? Will Honda be in the mix?!
pagey318 is offline  
Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 17:48 (Ref:3733647)   #2
crmalcolm
Veteran
 
crmalcolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Italy
Posts: 1,795
crmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagey318 View Post
Oulton Park this weekend...

What do we think will happen? Will the BMW dominate at what is normally kind to RWD? Will Subaru begin their fight back as we approach RWD friendly circuits? Will Tom Ingram continue his good form and mature drives to extend or maintain his title push? Will Honda be in the mix?!
Mixed messages from Plato in the latest blog. We found a problem with the chassis - or it was a radical setup change that fixed the front end?

The car has a great CoG due to the boxer engine - or it was only a perceived advantage due to lack of ballast.
It still seems to me that they are unsure why Plato is off Sutton's place, and they want more boost from TOCA to compensate.

Will Honda go well, Neal hopes so with little ballast going into the weekend.

Who will take the most points, I wouldn't be surprised to see a BMW podium shutout in R2.
crmalcolm is offline  
Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3733653)   #3
S griffin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,544
S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jordan needs to get his mojo back, he seemed to have lost it after a good season opener at Brands. Plato needs a good weekend too, can't make many more excuses and Motorbase need to have a clean weekend
S griffin is offline  
__________________
He who dares wins!
He who hesitates is lost!
Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3733654)   #4
luckn002
Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
England
South England
Posts: 208
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully the MGs will do better too, and another strong circuit for the VWs which dissapointed at Thruxton. It would be great to see Mat Jackson get a few top tens though I can't remember the Focus having strong form at Oulton compared to other teams.
luckn002 is offline  
Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3733658)   #5
skells22
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,830
skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there another question that needs answering, will we safety get past this round without a visit from the red flag? we seen 4 of them this year plus will the weather play a part
skells22 is offline  
Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 18:27 (Ref:3733666)   #6
crmalcolm
Veteran
 
crmalcolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Italy
Posts: 1,795
crmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Hopefully the MGs will do better too, and another strong circuit for the VWs which dissapointed at Thruxton. It would be great to see Mat Jackson get a few top tens though I can't remember the Focus having strong form at Oulton compared to other teams.
If 888 or Motorbase have another poor weekend, you wonder where they go next. Both teams should be putting in podium results.
crmalcolm is offline  
Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 19:49 (Ref:3733687)   #7
Rob877
Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 114
Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First time visit to Oulton Park this weekend for me, some free tickets helping make up my mind to travel. Heading down from Newcastle and in two minds whether or not to drive down on the Saturday and camp at the track or just drive down on Sunday morning. What's it like for traffic etc on race day? I'm guessing busy as I think it's the busiest weekend of the year BTCC wise. Also looking at Google maps it looks like there are 3 separate entrances to the circuit, any tips on which one is best for a quick exit? Really looking forward to it, haven't been down since 1996! Sorry if this has been asked before, have tried to look through other threads but couldn't find much info.
Rob877 is offline  
Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 22:46 (Ref:3733708)   #8
thetool
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 502
thetool has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
First time visit to Oulton Park this weekend for me, some free tickets helping make up my mind to travel. Heading down from Newcastle and in two minds whether or not to drive down on the Saturday and camp at the track or just drive down on Sunday morning. What's it like for traffic etc on race day? I'm guessing busy as I think it's the busiest weekend of the year BTCC wise. Also looking at Google maps it looks like there are 3 separate entrances to the circuit, any tips on which one is best for a quick exit? Really looking forward to it, haven't been down since 1996! Sorry if this has been asked before, have tried to look through other threads but couldn't find much info.
Traffic will be very bad in the morning, it's quite rural and the roads aren't the best access wise. Also it tends to draw huge crowds which exacerbate the problem. I wouldn't worry about exit/entry choice, you likely won't get one as there tends to be police/stewards directing people on race day.
thetool is offline  
Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 07:13 (Ref:3733757)   #9
5five
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 12
5five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC Race 3 is before the last race of the day at Oulton. Last year, if you parked on the infield part of the track via the main entrance, we were stuck in a queue you couldn't get out until all the racing of the day had finished, as cars were being directed out via the track.
5five is offline  
Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 07:22 (Ref:3733760)   #10
thlbtcc
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 940
thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Mixed messages from Plato in the latest blog. We found a problem with the chassis - or it was a radical setup change that fixed the front end?

The car has a great CoG due to the boxer engine - or it was only a perceived advantage due to lack of ballast.
It still seems to me that they are unsure why Plato is off Sutton's place, and they want more boost from TOCA to compensate.

Will Honda go well, Neal hopes so with little ballast going into the weekend.

Who will take the most points, I wouldn't be surprised to see a BMW podium shutout in R2.
A very interesting read indeed.

"We found a problem at Thruxton with the chassis which was a carry over from the shunt at Brands Hatch. Itís a big problem but a very small thing to find. I now know why thereís a 0.5 second gap between me and Ash."

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/blog/20...ru-riddle.html
thlbtcc is offline  
Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 07:50 (Ref:3733766)   #11
BLiTZ
Racer
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
United Kingdom
Posts: 155
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
A very interesting read indeed.

"We found a problem at Thruxton with the chassis which was a carry over from the shunt at Brands Hatch. Itís a big problem but a very small thing to find. I now know why thereís a 0.5 second gap between me and Ash."

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/blog/20...ru-riddle.html
Would that problem with the chassis be the Jason Plato shaped bit in the driver's seat?

That said, it can't be as Price and Cole's chassis dont have the same part fitted

But in all seriousness, If Plato is playing some sort of long game, he's leaving it too late into the series to claw his way back unless the Subaru dominates again like it did last year. If we have a post-Thruxton repeat of 2016 then I'm sure TOCA would step in sooner to level things out again (though they do like having Plato in with a shout of the title going into Brands so who knows!).
BLiTZ is offline  
Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 08:10 (Ref:3733775)   #12
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 4,060
Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!
I don't think he's playing a game, because otherwise Sutton is ruining it.

However it's pretty easy to poke holes in that blog post. They claim the CoG adjustment ruined their car, but then he says they were fastest through S1, which is where the CoG would hurt the most. Also says that Sutton was gaining round the bends too. So this CoG clearly didn't hurt the car as much as claimed, since it still handles fine. And are all cars meant to be equal? Or have different strengths and weaknesses? Because the Subaru appears to have most of its strength in the corners. What exactly is the problem with that?

It's also not that terrible in a straight line to get a decent position at Thruxton.

All just smoke and mirrors, but the mirror is broken and the wind is blowing the smoke away. The car isn't that bad, the CoG didn't kill it, the straight line speed is not a game changer. It appears they did have a problem with the chassis, so we'll see if that makes a difference at Oulton. Realistically, he should be up with Sutton.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 16 May 2017 at 08:24.
Akrapovic is online now  
Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 08:30 (Ref:3733779)   #13
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran
 
VIVA GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
England
Leicestershire
Posts: 2,921
VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!
Well, I admit that I've never been a Plato fan (I always think it's a good idea to get your 'understatement of the day' out of the way early), but I do admire the sense in the idea of using time in the races for testing. (Of course, it could have been his engineer that suggested it). Where he was at Thruxton there was no chance of salvaging any kind of result, so at least they made use of being there...
VIVA GT is offline  
__________________
Incognito: An Italian phrase meaning Nice Gearchange!
Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 08:39 (Ref:3733781)   #14
Urinal2001
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Chile
Posts: 10
Urinal2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
First time visit to Oulton Park this weekend for me, some free tickets helping make up my mind to travel. Heading down from Newcastle and in two minds whether or not to drive down on the Saturday and camp at the track or just drive down on Sunday morning. What's it like for traffic etc on race day? I'm guessing busy as I think it's the busiest weekend of the year BTCC wise. Also looking at Google maps it looks like there are 3 separate entrances to the circuit, any tips on which one is best for a quick exit? Really looking forward to it, haven't been down since 1996! Sorry if this has been asked before, have tried to look through other threads but couldn't find much info.
Oulton is one of the best campsites in the BTCC calender imo. I can recommend staying over on that basis.
Urinal2001 is offline  
Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 09:58 (Ref:3733809)   #15
crmalcolm
Veteran
 
crmalcolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Italy
Posts: 1,795
crmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
Would that problem with the chassis be the Jason Plato shaped bit in the driver's seat?

That said, it can't be as Price and Cole's chassis dont have the same part fitted
It would be interesting to hear his explanation for why Price and Cole are performing to about the same level if their chassis' are fine?

If his car is off the pace due to a chassis fault (that can be fixed with a radical set-up) - then how much better could Sutton go with the same radical set-up, when Scott said the car is already 'handling extremely well but the straight line speed deficit is certainly curtailing the efforts from our drivers'?

Perhaps the argument for a CoG amendment is no longer relevant and the car is now on a par with others for weight distribution?
crmalcolm is offline  
__________________
"Wasn't fair! I brake for animals, Lewis doesn't"
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[BTCC] Rounds 10, 11 & 12 - Oulton Park BillWiskins WTCC & European Touring Car Series 18 16 Jun 2012 23:28
[BTCC] Rounds 10, 11 and 12 - Oulton Park - 5/6 June 2010 Last2LiftOff WTCC & European Touring Car Series 18 10 Jun 2010 11:42
BTCC Oulton Park (Cheshire) - Rounds 13-15, June 24th 07 Hazard WTCC & European Touring Car Series 24 26 Jun 2007 18:22
Oulton Park F3, Who will win Rounds 1 & 2 Race to Win National & International Single Seaters 67 11 Apr 2007 09:01
Peugeot preview for Oulton Park Rounds 5 & 6 ziggy stardust WTCC & European Touring Car Series 2 16 May 2001 17:10


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2016 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.