Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 5 Mar 2014, 03:51 (Ref:3375177)   #1
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
12 Hours of Sebring - 2014

Who is going?
Old 5 Mar 2014, 04:18 (Ref:3375183)   #2
Over 9000
Rookie

United States
Midwest USA
Over 9000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there!

It's a shame that my first Sebring will also be the first one with no P1 cars - The sound of Rebellion's P1 is really what hooked me on this sport when I saw them at Austin last year - But there's so much else to look forward to, and I'll leave the bickering to the USCC thread

Any tips you guys have for a first timer would be appreciated. We don't have tickets yet, and since there's no discount at this point for pre-ordering, we're planning on deciding between pit boxes and general admin when we get there (Just in case there's a freak monsoon, like what happened to us at COTA last year...vid related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLqnAAbNexg)

So! Is camping with other racing fans the only way to go? Sounds like a blast to me, but my old man isn't exactly convinced of it yet. To anyone who's been in the pit boxes before - are they nice?

Also, how is parking? Is getting in and out of the track at the end of the day a nightmare?
Old 5 Mar 2014, 05:15 (Ref:3375201)   #3
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
If anyone needs tickets I've got two extra 4 day passes to sell at face value ($90), would save you $30 if you bought both.

I did have pit box tickets one year. Wouldn't do it again. The shade is nice, but watching the front straight is a bit boring, they just go by in a straight line, not a lot of action. I'd rather be at the hairpin, or turn 3-4-5 complex.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 05:17 (Ref:3375202)   #4
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Will be camping at our regular spot inside the hairpin. In the middle of the grassy area there, halfway between the road and the restrooms. Look for an ALMS flag and a Michelin flag. Stop by and have a beer.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 06:35 (Ref:3375214)   #5
Over 9000
Rookie

United States
Midwest USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
If anyone needs tickets I've got two extra 4 day passes to sell at face value ($90), would save you $30 if you bought both.

I did have pit box tickets one year. Wouldn't do it again. The shade is nice, but watching the front straight is a bit boring, they just go by in a straight line, not a lot of action. I'd rather be at the hairpin, or turn 3-4-5 complex.
Sure. Only reason I'd even consider the pit box is if we showed up and the weather was absolutely horrid. Braking zones and corners are what makes racing interesting, after all. I wouldn't be about to drive 18 hours out of my way to just watch the cars in a straight line

I'll take you up on that beer and bring a few of my own, man. Looking forward to hanging out with other racing fans, especially former ALMS ones!
Old 5 Mar 2014, 14:07 (Ref:3375365)   #6
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Yup, trackside again, not sure where we exactly end up but look for the orange!
Old 5 Mar 2014, 14:30 (Ref:3375373)   #7
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over 9000 View Post
Sure. Only reason I'd even consider the pit box is if we showed up and the weather was absolutely horrid. Braking zones and corners are what makes racing interesting, after all. I wouldn't be about to drive 18 hours out of my way to just watch the cars in a straight line

I'll take you up on that beer and bring a few of my own, man. Looking forward to hanging out with other racing fans, especially former ALMS ones!
Awesome! If you're unsure about camping, just do it! We have so, so, so much (some might say too much) fun! You're welcome to make your camp next to ours. We'll be getting there Wednesday evening. When do you plan to arrive?

The good thing about our camping spot is that we are in Green Park and a one minute walk to the hairpin. Yet we are far away enough from the bands and craziness by the flag pole that it gets relatively quiet once it's time to go to bed.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 14:32 (Ref:3375374)   #8
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I shouldn't have checked this thread, I can't make it to the track and reading this just makes me jealous of y'all!
Old 5 Mar 2014, 15:56 (Ref:3375392)   #9
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Here is last year's thread, which may contain helpful information http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136614
Old 5 Mar 2014, 17:14 (Ref:3375412)   #10
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm going!
Old 5 Mar 2014, 17:18 (Ref:3375414)   #11
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

So! Is camping with other racing fans the only way to go? Sounds like a blast to me, but my old man isn't exactly convinced of it yet. To anyone who's been in the pit boxes before - are they nice?

Also, how is parking? Is getting in and out of the track at the end of the day a nightmare?
How old is your old man? I think camping is the only way to go, but Green Park is a little nutty.

From the time I arrive to Sunday morning, I am not fit to drive, so I can't tell you how easy to get in and out it is.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 17:32 (Ref:3375419)   #12
Over 9000
Rookie

United States
Midwest USA
Quote:
Awesome! If you're unsure about camping, just do it! We have so, so, so much (some might say too much) fun! You're welcome to make your camp next to ours. We'll be getting there 11Wednesday evening. When do you plan to arrive?

The good thing about our camping spot is that we are in Green Park and a one minute walk to the hairpin. Yet we are far away enough from the bands and craziness by the flag pole that it gets relatively quiet once it's time to go to bed.
Sounds like the place to be....between the party atmosphere and the over hour cue wed have to apparently fight to just leave the track, im pretty well settled on camping then.

Unfortunately i have midterms the week of the race, so it looks like super early friday might be the best arrival i can manage..would love to be there earlier, but i will be at the whim of my professors. So. No hard feelings if you cant save me a spot that long next week cant come soon enough! Im super pumped.

The old man is in his 50s. I doubt hell be pulling weekend long benders like me and you, J, but he loves racing and a good time too. I bet between a fairly quiet spot at night and an air mattress hed have no complaints.

Last edited by Over 9000; 5 Mar 2014 at 17:44.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 18:16 (Ref:3375432)   #13
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Quote:
Sounds like the place to be....between the party atmosphere and the over hour cue wed have to apparently fight to just leave the track, im pretty well settled on camping then.

Unfortunately i have midterms the week of the race, so it looks like super early friday might be the best arrival i can manage..would love to be there earlier, but i will be at the whim of my professors. So. No hard feelings if you cant save me a spot that long next week cant come soon enough! Im super pumped.

The old man is in his 50s. I doubt hell be pulling weekend long benders like me and you, J, but he loves racing and a good time too. I bet between a fairly quiet spot at night and an air mattress hed have no complaints.
I'm sure we could still squeeze you in somewhere. Stop by and we'll try to make something happen. Or you are of course welcome to do your own thing.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 18:19 (Ref:3375433)   #14
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
What's everyone else's rule of thumb on how much beer to bring? We usually get 12-18 beers per person, per day. Then by about Friday night we realize that wasn't enough, head into town and get more. Last year we did this, bought what was surely more than humanly possible to drink in 36 hours and then still ended up running out! Not sure how that happened...
Old 5 Mar 2014, 18:58 (Ref:3375445)   #15
Over 9000
Rookie

United States
Midwest USA
Quote:
I'm sure we could still squeeze you in somewhere. Stop by and we'll try to make something happen. Or you are of course welcome to do your own thing.
Awesome. Even if we end up camping in the car, well be by to hangout with you all.

If anyone has any midwestern beer requests, let me know! Sharing is caring, after all.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 19:38 (Ref:3375466)   #16
scottypinthemix
Racer

United States
atlanta
scottypinthemix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there.
Leaving Atlanta before dawn on Wed. morning

This will be the 1st time since 2005 that I have had everything work out in my schedule so I can make it.

I have some good friends that have been going for decades and always get the the RV somewhere between the bathrooms and the hairpin in Green Park. That's where I'll be.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 21:20 (Ref:3375520)   #17
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottypinthemix View Post
I'll be there.
Leaving Atlanta before dawn on Wed. morning

This will be the 1st time since 2005 that I have had everything work out in my schedule so I can make it.

I have some good friends that have been going for decades and always get the the RV somewhere between the bathrooms and the hairpin in Green Park. That's where I'll be.
Assuming there is a place to camp, that's where I will be too.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 02:30 (Ref:3375599)   #18
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
I'll be there bright and early until late at night every day from March 12-15.

Which means I have to drive back central Floridian backroads and into Sarasota with a bunch of drunk spring-breakers.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 02:49 (Ref:3375601)   #19
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Assuming there is a place to camp, that's where I will be too.
I'd like it if we can get in there somewhere too. Just to make certain we can see "her" again.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 02:52 (Ref:3375602)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Which means I have to drive back central Floridian backroads and into Sarasota with a bunch of drunk spring-breakers.
That's a beautiful smell; drunken adolescences, mixed with FLA swamp nasty and burning what have yous.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 02:55 (Ref:3375603)   #21
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I shouldn't have checked this thread, I can't make it to the track and reading this just makes me jealous of y'all!
Sorry, joeb, but .

We'll see you in the Georgia foothills in Autumn, I hope.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3375827)   #22
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone is looking for accommodation, I have a double Queen Bed room reserved at the Holiday Inn in Lake Wales, and can share my room at the Ramada Inn in Lake Placid. Both rooms are from check-in March 11th and check-out the 16th. I'll have to cancel the Holiday Inn by the 11th to avoid the first night's charge.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3375866)   #23
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Awesome. Even if we end up camping in the car, well be by to hangout with you all.

If anyone has any midwestern beer requests, let me know! Sharing is caring, after all.
I have some beer requests but it depends on what part of the midwest you are in, and if you want to make a slight detour through Louisiana to deliver since I can't make Sebring!
Old 7 Mar 2014, 04:08 (Ref:3376007)   #24
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Visit the Turn 10 group, they are a great bunch, and it is a great viewing area. Take a hat even if you have hair (I used to a long time ago). Sunscreen. Stay hydrated. Forget the "I will survive on beer and beer only" thing, it proves nothing to anyone, and you will end up miserable.

Enjoy the experience. The place is hallowed ground. The sport's greats, from the 50's onward have raced there-manufacturers and drivers.

Apparently there is some race in France that is longer and people talk about, but it ain't Sebring, because nothing is.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 04:58 (Ref:3376018)   #25
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My advice is, bring earplugs if you're camping unless you like to listen to a train horn while you try to sleep.

Bring an air mattress.

The real partying happens Thursday night, as it should, because people are still hyped about night practice and don't care if they wake up late Friday. You don't want to be hungover Saturday morning!

My best beer drinking advice is, drink as much beer as you want, but everytime you pee, drink a bottle of water.

And lastly, try to walk the entire inner perimeter of the track at least once during the race to see all the unique views from each turn .