Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 8 Jul 2013, 13:26 (Ref:3275392)   #1
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

TheNotSoHidden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NotSoHidden Tracks

Hi everyone. For those on other racing forums,like F1Rejects,you may know me as WaffleCat.But here on Ten-Tenths,I chose the name NotSoHidden because...why not?

Anyway,practically the only forum I've browsed in Ten-Tenths is the My Tracks forum,and although I'm not a user of Paint or Sketchup or whatnot, I use a simple,rather more efficient tool:Google Maps. And not just the Pedometer,I use the "Create Maps" feature to implement things like VIP areas,Parking lots,Grandstands,Paddocks,the whole shop.

And so,here's my introduction:Kansas City Raceway

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...97a4784c0a7be3

This 2.79 mile race track is located in the parking lot surrounding the stadiums of both the Kansas City Chiefs and the Kansas City Royals. The tracks begins with a short straight to turn 1,a tight hairpin good for overtaking.Turn 2 is an immediate sweeping left that leads into a short straight. Turns 3,4 and 5 are a right-left-left sequence that is used to 'mix up' battles from the previous straight. Turn 6 is a right-angle left that spits drivers out onto the back straight that has a fast,long right hander,turn 7,preceding it.

The straight curves right into turn 8,a tight hairpin created for overtaking opportunities,while turn 9 is immediate tight left that creates opportunities for cutback manouvers. The next two turns are a fast left-right kink combo that is dangerous to go side-by-side with. Turn 12 is another right angle right that goes into the turn 13-14-15 complex,creating a good area for spectator viewing but admittedly not a good corner complex.However,this gives a good chance to get alongside to pass heading into the fast and furious turn 16,a long sweeper.This turn would have been a fast turn to lead onto the main straight,but the Chicane has been added in not only for safety of the drivers,but to test their ability to maintain speed heading onto the front stretch.

Keep in mind that I did not include runoffs,otherwise this track would have taken literally ages to make.

Comments,criticisms and revisions are welcome.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3276798)   #2
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always have mixed feelings about street-circuits in American city's near the mayor stadium. Because of the massive carparks they are usally pretty easy to draw, there is plenty of space. But, how do the people get there? Usally by car, but the parkinglots are already used...

Btw, how do you create the colored squares?
Old 11 Jul 2013, 23:10 (Ref:3276807)   #3
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Werner, that's what Park-and-Ride is for in a major city. Park some distance out, and take a train or bus in to the event.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3276810)   #4
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNotSoHidden View Post
Hi everyone. For those on other racing forums,like F1Rejects,you may know me as WaffleCat.But here on Ten-Tenths,I chose the name NotSoHidden because...why not?

Anyway,practically the only forum I've browsed in Ten-Tenths is the My Tracks forum,and although I'm not a user of Paint or Sketchup or whatnot, I use a simple,rather more efficient tool:Google Maps. And not just the Pedometer,I use the "Create Maps" feature to implement things like VIP areas,Parking lots,Grandstands,Paddocks,the whole shop.

And so,here's my introduction:Kansas City Raceway

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...97a4784c0a7be3

This 2.79 mile race track is located in the parking lot surrounding the stadiums of both the Kansas City Chiefs and the Kansas City Royals. The tracks begins with a short straight to turn 1,a tight hairpin good for overtaking.Turn 2 is an immediate sweeping left that leads into a short straight. Turns 3,4 and 5 are a right-left-left sequence that is used to 'mix up' battles from the previous straight. Turn 6 is a right-angle left that spits drivers out onto the back straight that has a fast,long right hander,turn 7,preceding it.

The straight curves right into turn 8,a tight hairpin created for overtaking opportunities,while turn 9 is immediate tight left that creates opportunities for cutback manouvers. The next two turns are a fast left-right kink combo that is dangerous to go side-by-side with. Turn 12 is another right angle right that goes into the turn 13-14-15 complex,creating a good area for spectator viewing but admittedly not a good corner complex.However,this gives a good chance to get alongside to pass heading into the fast and furious turn 16,a long sweeper.This turn would have been a fast turn to lead onto the main straight,but the Chicane has been added in not only for safety of the drivers,but to test their ability to maintain speed heading onto the front stretch.

Keep in mind that I did not include runoffs,otherwise this track would have taken literally ages to make.

That is a very good effort - not only are you designing a track (which has a wide variety of corners and a very good feel about it), but you are designing the other parts of it, too. Very nice job!

And welcome to the forum!
Old 12 Jul 2013, 09:04 (Ref:3276926)   #5
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

werner,There are parking lots outside the main "circle" on which the track is located,and that is where they park. I also chose a stadium because that is an easy place to drop a track in,bar an airport or an open field. I chose the Kansas City track because it is so,so open and so,so big,compared to say,Caesar Palace.

Beetle,thanks for the comments. I'll try to get another track up by Sunday at least,although I'm having doubts over some sections of the track.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 00:20 (Ref:3277192)   #6
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

After the first track,I decided to recreate a gmap-pedometer track I did for another forum,and hopefully I made it better than before.

15 miles southwest of London,in an airport,I present to you: Biggin Hill Raceway.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...4be2f0be&msa=0

A Lap of the Track:

The start finish straight is wide,and gets wider after the pit exit when it takes up almost the entire width of the runway. Then comes a 1st,possibly second gear hairpin due to the wide track,that is a prime overtaking spot on the circuit,turn 1. After the massive overtakes at turn 1,overtaked drivers have a chance to redeem themselves in the following straight.Then comes the second hairpin in a row,turn 2. However,this one is different from turn 1 in the fact that the track tightens significantly after this,and should be taken in first gear unless you really want to go in second.Yet another straight is after this as we fly down into turn 3,a 3rd gear right hander that could yet be another overtaking spot,but only for the brave this time. The first sector ends on the straight leading up to this turn.

Turn 3 is not to be taken lightly,as a long,long,long turn 4 comes straight after that.As you are accelerating through turn 4,be mindful that it tightens directly into turn 5 ,and a quick deceleration to third,second for some,should get around the tight bit.The track opens up considerably due to being on yet another runway,and a perfect time to open the taps. Then it's on the brakes again for the second gear chicane,turn 6-7,inviting another overtaking opportunity. A short straight follows,before heading into the dreaded,sometimes crazy,turn 8. Taken in 4th for the seriously brave,this is a sharp,fast kink with the smallest of runoff areas due to the A233 and an unfortunately placed set of landing guide lights in the way.And there's no straight after that to take a breather. After that the track narrows into a lightning fast S-bend that is straight-lined and does not count as a turn,thought it's there to catch those off-guard from turn 8. Turn 9 comes immediately after the S-bend and has slightly more runoff,before leading onto a not-so straight straight.

After crossing the second sector,cars brake for the Brands Hatch chicane,the only named turn on the track.The chicane was placed there to give cars a minor overtaking opportunity and the VIP spectators something to see.Also,this gives drivers some respite off the throttle.Following this is turn 12 and 13,a fast right-left esses sequence that has been name by drivers as their favourite part of the track as cars accelerate from third through fourth through the bends.A minor straight leads to the final turn of the track,turn 14,a decreasing radius turn that spits drivers back out onto the main straightaway to complete a lap of the 3.44 mile Biggin Hill Raceway.

The sections that I said I had doubts with is at the extreme bottom-left of the track,especially between turns 8 and 9. Any revisions,suggestions and comments on my latest track are greatly appreciated.
Old 14 Jul 2013, 15:31 (Ref:3277593)   #7
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Werner, that's what Park-and-Ride is for in a major city. Park some distance out, and take a train or bus in to the event.
I'm familiar with the concept. In most large Dutch city's, it is the most convenient way to reach the city-center andy day of the week. However, I had doubts that enought Kansasians (if that's what they are called) would be willing to use any other form of transport than their own car. Your tickled reaction makes me think they might be. Good!
Old 21 Jul 2013, 00:15 (Ref:3279871)   #8
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

After a week away,I present my latest track which should be a solution for the lack of motor racing in Singapore:

Tanjong Rhu Raceway

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...06028,0.011662

A Lap of the track:

This track is mostly meant to be run with touring cars or GT cars,though low-class open-wheelers are fine too.

The track starts with a run down into turn 1,a tight hairpin that is a definite overtaking spot.Then comes a short blast into turns 2 and 3,with a need to take turn 2 slower than you expect to get a good run out of 3 in order to try to overtake at the straight into turn 4,a medium speed left hander. Following that is a short blast into turn 5,a flat-out left kink that challenges driver's ability to be on the limit. However,there is not much time to go too far on the limit,as a turn right for turn 6 follows immediately afterwards.Turn 6 is quite a quandry,a double-apex right with the second apex not playing much of a role other than to make sure the track does not intersect with the paddock access road.

After turn 6 is a tight hairpin 7,that presents a probable overtaking opportunity for the daring.Turns 8 and 9 are two consecutive left turns that,although it looks easy enough,a smooth line is hard to obtain.Turns 10 and 11 are two quick kinks forming an esses section that is almost a mirror image of Albert Park's Waite chicane. From there,a long straight that passes the Sector 2 marker follows,though the straight gradually sweeps to the right near the end.The second true overtaking opportunity comes at Turn 12,a tight hairpin left that is oh-so slightly cambered. A short run to the final chicane,13 and 14,is present before blasting off on the back straight.

There are also two optional layouts that could be taken that make the track different. The Outer circuit connects Turn 5 to Turn 9,making 10 and 11 even faster while the National circuit connects Turn 2 to Turn 6,and makes Turn 7 a bigger overtaking opportunity than normal. The Main circuit is 2.14 miles in length,while the Outer and National circuits are an estimated 1.68 and 1.64 miles respectively. The dirt road that can be seen intersecting turn 2 is the paddock access road,and there is a bridge immediately before turn 2 that sees the access road go under the track.

Comments,criticisms and Revisions are again welcome.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3280580)   #9
apri
Rookie

United Kingdom
apri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they are pretty good tracks, but how do you make the lines on google maps? I really want to try this! Would you mind if I used your idea?
Old 25 Jul 2013, 04:00 (Ref:3281340)   #10
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

Rouen Raceway

apri,to make tracks with Google Maps,go to "My Places",and there should be a button that says "Create Map". Click on that and have fun.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyhow,I've noticed that there are several tracks in France,but none of the tracks that could be suitable to host major competitions (Magny-Cours,Le Mans Bugatti,Paul Ricard) are not exactly tracks I like. And for those tracks in France that I do like (Dijon-Prenois,Charade,Mas du Clos,Ledenon) are not really suitable to host a major competition,save maybe Dijon. So what I've done is design a track in France that I like and could be a future French Grand Prix track. I present to you....Rouen Raceway.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...868fe5a7&msa=0

Located just a couple of miles away from the centre of Rouen,this accessible track is both fast yet technical in some places.Long straights,a few hairpins and long turns,this track is for the speed freak. Spectator-wise,there are not too many grandstands,but there are 2 General admission areas that have a wide view of the track.

The Track:

T1(Rosier)--A slow,but not tight,hairpin that gives drivers a good overtaking opportunity early in the lap.

T2(Trintignant)--A right hander taken in 3rd gear,4th if you want to risk it,that gives drivers who were overtaken at T1 a chance to fight back. A good run out of here is also crucial to get a chance into T3.

T3(Behra)--Yet another opportunity to overtake,this turn is slightly cambered,and thus third gear is possible,but highly improbable.

T4(Ligier)--A fast kink that might need a dab of the brakes to get round and get a good chance into the backstretch

T5(Cevert)--A fast sweeper that could be treated as a straight. Not really much to talk about.

T6(Laffite)--A long right hand turn,this provides yet another overtaking opportunity. Also,there is the first noticeable gradient in the track as the track rises uphill at the exit of this turn,and the uphill continues to T7.

T7(Pironi)--This is the turn that is recognized,much like Turn 8 at Istanbul or Eau Rouge at Spa.This turn is a double apex,long left that is could be taken in fifth gear. The first apex continues uphill,but between the apexes,the track downhill through the second apex. The track also remains the same width throughout,thus giving no room for error.

T8(Arnoux)--Those that get a good exit from T7 stand a good chance overtaking at T8,which has a downhill approach but the track becomes level at the apex.The exit,though,is rather harsh and could catch out those putting the power on too early.

T9(Prost)--Possibly the most technical turn of the track,T9 is slightly off camber and the exit does not help either.Overtaking is possible,but could end your race by doing so.

T10(Alesi)--Simple really.Think of the final turn at Watkins Glen.Slightly cambered,wall on outside with little runoff and good exit speed is important for the long main straight that follows.

In all,the track is 3.39 miles long,though there is a short circuit variant with an extra turn (Jarier) at the middle of the backstretch that is roughly 2.19 miles long.

Once again,any comments on this are welcome.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 12:56 (Ref:3283773)   #11
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

Seville Speedway

The tracks that I have produced for this forum,so far, have just been tracks with barely any reasoning for creating them and no backstory behind the history of the tracks whatsoever. This track,however,is different. I present to you all....

...Seville Speedway:https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...04793,0.011662

The Backstory(all fictional,of course):

Way back in 1959,Aerodromo de Tablada was being abandoned after the war and was,simply put,left to rot. The Spanish government,however,decided to sell the land surrounding the runway. Bits and pieces of the land went to housing developments and warehouses,but there were two large plots of land that went,both surrounding the highway. One of them was for a new car manufacturing plant and the second,located right next to it,went to businessman Marco Luis Alfonso, who started up a racetrack :Autodromo de Tablada.

The 1.53 mile track was open in 1962 and became an instant hit among locals not only driving the track,but also spectating it as well.The unique main straight configuration meant spectators in the main grandstand could see both the main and back straights,with the hairpin connecting the two being a prime action spot. The rest of the track also became well loved,the fast turn 2 kink,the long turns 5,6 and 7 giving drivers and cars a test. A new grandstand and general admission area was formed to allow the World Endurance Championship 750 miles of Spain in 1981. It was a fantastic success among drivers,spectators and event organizers alike,and attracted more championships like the 500cc World Championship from 1986 to 1990 and an array of Sports Cars and Touring Car championships to the little track in Seville.

In 1996,the car maker that opened next to the circuit moved to a new location,leaving the factory abandoned and useless. This,however,opened up a new opportunity for Autodromo de Tablada to expand to potentially create a permanent home for high-level international competitions. Plans were made for an extension. However, disaster struck just a year later when Alfonso was forced to sell his track to European Track Developments, headed by Marlon Locking,known for his boring designs that often had no flavour or ruined flavours of old circuits. Locking,however,promised that he would try his best to maintain the flavour,if not improve the overall experience of the track. However,the redesign was a complete botch. The original track layout proposed by Locking was so horrid,even his sympathizers lashed out at him. Several concepts of redesigns were followed by backlash after backlash,until finally Locking ignored these comments and commenced construction of the new extension in 1999, which caused the 750 miles of Spain to move to Jerez,where it has stayed all the way until 2011,where a one-off return arrived to the new circuit.

The new circuit was finished in 2001 to little fanfare,with local racers just happy that the old layout still existed.The new layout also came with a new name:Seville Speedway. The layout was,in almost everyone's minds,rubbish. The grandstand at the hairpin was made redundant except for local events,and except for turns 5 6,the layout was criticized turn by turn,straight by straight,even grandstand by grandstand for their views of the circuit. Locking failed to two of his three targets with the new layout: MotoGP and DTM,though the WTCC has consistently hosted their Round of Spain...on the short circuit,and sold the circuit back to the Alfonso family in 2009. Jose's son,Victor,has done better than Locking in attracting series to the circuit,with the aforementioned 750 miles of Spain return and being the latest track to join the World Superbike Championship calendar. The circuit's future is looking bright,and plans are in place to redesign it in the near future.

A Lap of The Track

A long,long straight leads into a tight,ninety-degree turn 1-a staple of Locking's-that leads into a tight,featureless turn 2. Turn 3 is a kink that looks fast,but is so off camber that it almost turns like a chicane.Turn 4 is a long,niggling left turn that is,described by drivers,as simply annoying and cause almost no challenge other than test driver's patience.That is sector 1 done.

Sector two starts off with two of Locking's best additions,though they have appeared in his other tracks quite often,are two fast kinks,a left and a right that lead onto the back straight. Then comes the old circuit,with turn 7 being a 4th gear kink that could be taken very,very fast if you take the right line and get just the right amount of kerb. The next turn is known for being a turn that you can afford to take a very wide line,though this turn presents load of varieties of lines that one can take.Turn 9 is a crazy fast kink,with turns 10 and 11 being long,long lefts that are known to create battles going onto the next long turn,turn 12 that heads onto the main straight.

Comments,criticisms,revisions and other forms of communications are welcome.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 02:39 (Ref:3287130)   #12
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

Tropicana Street Circuit

This one is just a quickie,so there will not be much track description,but a backstory will do fine.

So here it is,around the streets of St. Petersburg: Tropicana Street Circuit

Backstory:

The year is 2014,and air traffic in Tampa Bay has grown tremendously over the past few years. This was a cause for concern,as Tampa Airport was already bursting with flights.This meant they had to find one more airport to serve Tampa Bay full time.That airport was Albert Whitted Airport.

However,the use of Albert Whitted Airport to handle full time flights caused problems for the IndyCar series. Having used the circuit for so long,they can no longer run the St. Petersburg Grand Prix at the airport,and sought for a replacement venue. Thankfully,the owners of Tropicana field stepped in and submitted a proposal, similar to the street circuit used there from 1996 to 2000. A few tweaks here and there,and Tropicana street circuit was ready to be used.

Track Description:

The track begins with a short blast to a tight turn 1.Turns 2,3 and 4 are a tight left-right left sequence that leads cars onto the long back straight. After this 850m straight,a double-90 right throws cars onto yet another straight,before leading into the twisty bits in Tropicana Field's carpark.

A right-left chicane after the straight leads cars into the long left hander,turn 9.This is immediately followed by turn 10,a tight hairpin that has an arena feel to it thanks to the grandstand.Turn 11 is a tight left leading into the fast turn 12 left.Turn 13 is a long right similar to 12,but heavy braking is needed in the middle of the turn as turn 14 is a tight right hander that follows immediately after that takes cars out of the Tropicana Field parking lot.A final fast S-bend,turns 15 and 16,takes cars onto the main straight.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 17:10 (Ref:3288352)   #13
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks very good. Lots of overtaking opportunities and long straights. I would remove the Turn 10 hairpin as it seems out of place and ruins the flow.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 04:50 (Ref:3289531)   #14
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
After a week away,I present my latest track which should be a solution for the lack of motor racing in Singapore:

Tanjong Rhu Raceway
this is a good general shape although I have problems with the infield loop.
The two previous ones were more interesting as proposals for me.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 04:57 (Ref:3289533)   #15
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Roen and Tropicana have good parts in their layouts but Rouen is almost too fast in the light of the current point and squirt thing FIA goes for.

Tropicana
idea has a couple of real slow sections I'd redraw but what you are doing is certainly stimulating ideas and venues not considered.

I may even have a go at a couple of them myself.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 02:15 (Ref:3290858)   #16
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

Thanks SpeedingTortoise for your opinion and Teretonga for your revision of Tropicana. I commented on it in your own track thread.

As for now,though,here's a new track. Following rumours or stories that I heard that IndyCar is going to Calgary,why not get a road course prepared for them?

Soon to host a(fictional) IndyCar race:Calgary Speedpark

Track Description:

Completely flat,the track starts out with a long,fast run to turn one,a 90-degree right with plenty of tarmac run-off on the outside of the track,a la Watkins Glen turn 1. A long straight follows into a flowing sweeper at turn 2 into a double apex turn 3,a long,long right hander that actually feels like two completely separate turns. Yet another long straight goes into a chicane-hairpin at turns 4 and 5,present to give drivers being overtaken a chance to fight back.Next is turn 6,a dreadfully fast left,going into a cambered,sweeping turn 7.

A long straight leads into turn 8,which may look like a fast kink from above but is actually taken in 3rd or second gear being tighter than it looks,and presents a passing opportunity for those brave,daring drivers.A short straight leads into a long hairpin,turn 9,that shoots drivers onto the very long back straight.Turn 10 is a ninety-left,almost a mirror image of turn 1,before heading into a 3rd gear chicane,turns 11 and 12. Turn 13 is just a long,flat out right hander that leads directly into the hairpin turn 14 that completes a lap of Calgary Speedpark.

A unique feature of the Speedpark is the fact that one of the grandstands and parking lots are temporary. Grandstand E and Parking lot D are located alongside the grass runway at Cheadle Airport,and although the Carpark uses the runway,the Grandstand is normally taken down or reduced in size after major events like IndyCar,NASCAR and the like. Also, Cheadle Airport has also handed out warnings that the back straight is in danger should an aircraft misjudge their landing. Thus,on days when Cheadle Airport is receiving flights,which is not often,cars take to the short circuit,a fun 1.65 mile alternative that connects turn 6 to turn 13 via a long,sweeping bend.

Opinions and revisions are once again welcome.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 08:26 (Ref:3290904)   #17
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rouen is a really nice design. It's simple and effective and that's always best.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 03:53 (Ref:3295995)   #18
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

First track in a while,and I feel it's probably one of my more detailed tracks yet.Located in an old,probably abandoned airfield near Oxford,named after a nearby village...

Oakley Raceway

This track is one of my personal favourites so far. Fast,yet handling is a must. Tight turns,yet long,sweeping bends. A blend of modern track design with the old.I don't think any description does this track justice.

The main reason I like the track,though,is because I created "old" layouts of the track,from the original in 1953,to the safety revisions in 1984,to the latest layout. I've even taken the time to go into detail as to why the track layout was changed in each segment. These old layouts give the track...character,which is the one thing that makes a track good. You can design a track in the middle of the desert shaped exactly like Monza,Brands or Spa,with the exact elevation changes,tarmac surfaces,runoff areas,the whole lot,and yet your track will be worse than all of those because of character,which is what I try to do with all my tracks.

Opinions,remarks and revisions are more than welcome.
Old 31 Aug 2013, 01:00 (Ref:3296424)   #19
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice history to the track. I like it.

What i would welcome is some basic and important data - like the tarck length or track direction. From the pitlane I presume the track direction is clockwise?

bio
Old 31 Aug 2013, 01:29 (Ref:3296429)   #20
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree the pitlane looks clockwise but I don't like T1 in that direction.

I'm not a fan of the bustop for a T1 complex running in the other direction either, but removing that, I like the overall shape better anti/counter clockwise with the T3 sweeper leading up into the hairpin.
Old 1 Sep 2013, 01:55 (Ref:3296938)   #21
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

The track is indeed clockwise and it's 3.39 miles long.

To be honest,I was heavily doubting my placement of the bus stop,and that was why I decided to create all the old layouts. Originally,the track was just supposed to be a racetrack on an abandoned airfield,with the runways and aprons being general guidelines as to how the track was laid out. But my rather random inclusion of the bustop made me think...why would a bustop be placed there,in the beginning of the straight? And so that's how I developed all the backstory. Just from that one random bus stop.
Old 2 Oct 2013, 05:19 (Ref:3311752)   #22
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

I'm back!

After some time preparing for examinations,I've cooked up a quick track in Switzerland,meant to be the second permanent track in the country,taking over Airport Bouchs,on the other side of the Lake of Lucerne.

Here it is:Lucerne Raceway

A fast,2.37 mile track,running counter-clockwise,this is a mostly fast affair except for a "stadium" section and,yet again,a bus-stop on the runway,though faster and longer.

Old 3 Oct 2013, 02:47 (Ref:3312074)   #23
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I'm back!

After some time preparing for examinations,I've cooked up a quick track in Switzerland,meant to be the second permanent track in the country,taking over Airport Bouchs,on the other side of the Lake of Lucerne.

Here it is:Lucerne Raceway

A fast,2.37 mile track,running counter-clockwise,this is a mostly fast affair except for a "stadium" section and,yet again,a bus-stop on the runway,though faster and longer.

Oh, I love Lucerne! One of the most beautiful towns I've ever visited.

I'd just extend turn 1 a bit further east to the next corner. The exit of the current turn 1 looks a bit narrow considering the width of the front straight and that could cause unnecessary havoc. Otherwise, great!
Old 10 Nov 2013, 03:16 (Ref:3329508)   #24
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good tracks!
Reminds me a little bit of my own style. You certainly have a very characteristic style where you put tight corners after fast sections, I's love to ride those in my bike after making sure my brakes are on top form and my forearms too!!
Old 12 Nov 2013, 05:31 (Ref:3330258)   #25
TheNotSoHidden
Rookie

Thanks Luiggi!

Also...exams sure take up one's time,don't they? Anyway,with my exams out of the way for now,I can unleash my latest experiment!

This one is based off a real-life event: Forumla E. The new all-electric racing series are hosting every single one of its races on temporary and street circuits. Funny thing is,they have already announced their destinations for their inaugural season,yet there are no plans on the layout of the circuits,save for Monaco,obviously. Locations have already been decided for the rounds in London,Hong Kong and Berlin as far as I know,yet the circuits themselves for those rounds and other races have yet to even get a rough layout identified.

This is where I step in. My next batch of tracks will focus on how each track in each destination of Formula E should be laid out,to help track designers overcome their challenges of having to produce nine temporary circuits. And I start the challenge here:

This is the Formula E Round of Berlin. As mentioned previously,the place for the track was already decided,that being the empty apron of Templehof Airport by the old terminal. However,as no track layout was announced,I guessed I would take the initiative.

The 2.61 mile,counter-clockwise track begins with a right-left "extended chicane",as I like to call it. A short blast leads into another similar chicane,turns 3 and 4,though this time left-right. Turn 5 is a slow,long left hairpin that ends sector 1 and leads cars onto the backstraight.

Turn 6 is the showpiece of the circuit,a fast right sweeper that drivers need to control into braking into the tight left,turn 7.This leads into a tight sequence,8 and 9,before opening up into a straight of decent length.Turn 10 is an increasing radius turn that presents an opportunity to pass,before the double-apex turns 11 and 12 curve right to form a little "arena" section. This leads into the final corner sequence,a right flick into a slow,long left that slingshots cars onto the pit straight.