Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 Sep 2001, 16:16 (Ref:148721)   #1
Sodemo2
Racer

Sodemo2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lexus say "no" to works BTCC effort for 2002

Just read it at Autosport.com

They said however that they would not rule out a BTCC works program in the near future.
Old 20 Sep 2001, 20:03 (Ref:148833)   #2
BIG OLLIE
Rookie

BIG OLLIE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a shame about Lexus....
Old 20 Sep 2001, 20:38 (Ref:148856)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am really dissapointed... I thought there was a very good chance of a works campaign in 2002, but at least we've still got the two TMSR IS200's for the time being.

Also, we've got Proton entering and Vauxhall withdrawing to look forward to - just what the BTCC needs...
Old 21 Sep 2001, 07:19 (Ref:149038)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What did I tell you.......Sorry folks, but as a rule spending money on motorsport is item 123,569 on the marketing plan.
Old 21 Sep 2001, 09:26 (Ref:149071)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
As I understand it the reason for Lexus not entering the BTCC was because they wish to grow their dealer network before entering motor sport.
Old 21 Sep 2001, 10:39 (Ref:149097)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Super Tourer, I think the BTCC is very high on the Lexus marketing plan.

There UK MD said that a third party research campaign had indicated that the BTCC would be very good for Lexus, but he also said that he would rather build a good dealership base first, like Stephen said, so then people could get access to the cars easier. I can see that being very logical for Lexus.

And he wished TMSR luck next year - I reckon there'll be a few Lexus badges on that teams cars - that way there advertising the IS200 cheaply for themselves.
Old 21 Sep 2001, 11:37 (Ref:149119)   #7
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend

Also, we've got Proton entering and Vauxhall withdrawing to look forward to - just what the BTCC needs...
Did I miss something, are these confirmed?
Old 21 Sep 2001, 12:28 (Ref:149129)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Well, just nearly. Vauxhall are defintely reducing their money being spent on the BTCC, some are saying they have already decided to quit.

Proton seem to be entering - a 'strong BTCC source' told Autosport that they have signed a 3-year deal, but still official announcement to come from Proton or TOCA yet.
Old 21 Sep 2001, 14:03 (Ref:149148)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So will the arrangement be the same as this year? Will there be 1 or 2 peivcate Lexus cars ran by the same people as this year? Will Thomas Erdos still be behind the wheel? Will VIncent Radermacker get his chance?
Old 21 Sep 2001, 17:11 (Ref:149212)   #10
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope TMSR/ABG do carry on with the Lexus next year, they had begun to really show promise with that car.
Old 21 Sep 2001, 18:30 (Ref:149231)   #11
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And i hope Tommy Erdos stays on at TMSR....

I expect Lexus to give TMSR a bit more financial support for next year, though, whatever they say.
Old 21 Sep 2001, 20:32 (Ref:149271)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I suspect Lexus will give TMSR some sort of support next year too hunttheshunt, it'd pay them too.

Many of my family & friends think this years cars are works cars - the casual BTCC goer sees "Lexus" or "IS200" plastered over the car and they automatically assume that it is the actual company, it's only us that know the full story.