Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Sep 2017, 21:12 (Ref:3765504)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Walkinshaw + Andretti Autosport + United Autosports (NOW CONFIRMED)

Story Here

The story talks about an equity position...

The odd part is the article talks to selling a slice of that business in order to invest in more engineering capability.

Surely that is an operating cost, needing to be funded the next year too... or is the plan to keep selling slices, to facilitate a complete exit
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 9 Sep 2017, 01:23 (Ref:3765541)   #2
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Story Here

The story talks about an equity position...

The odd part is the article talks to selling a slice of that business in order to invest in more engineering capability.

Surely that is an operating cost, needing to be funded the next year too... or is the plan to keep selling slices, to facilitate a complete exit
Article doesn't say anywhere that the team is for sale, so I have no idea why this thread has the title it does?

Investing in more engineering capability may be more of a capital cost - could be physical machinery, software, hardware, test rigs, simulators etc. Engineering capability is more than just employing more (or more expensive) engineers - which would be a recurring cost.

Makes sense for WR to bring in some investment, widen the knowledge base and share some risk/reward with others. It seems to have worked OK for 888, DJR and Prodrive as examples.
Old 9 Sep 2017, 01:32 (Ref:3765542)   #3
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Adderton had an ownership of BJR back in the late-90s too didn't he?
Old 9 Sep 2017, 01:43 (Ref:3765545)   #4
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe it was part ownership of Audisport Australia, for which BJR was contracted to operate.
Old 9 Sep 2017, 03:14 (Ref:3765572)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Article doesn't say anywhere that the team is for sale, so I have no idea why this thread has the title it does?

Investing in more engineering capability may be more of a capital cost - could be physical machinery, software, hardware, test rigs, simulators etc. Engineering capability is more than just employing more (or more expensive) engineers - which would be a recurring cost.

Makes sense for WR to bring in some investment, widen the knowledge base and share some risk/reward with others. It seems to have worked OK for 888, DJR and Prodrive as examples.
If the team is opening to the release of an equity position, it is for all intents and purposes for sale, either partially or in full.

In the case of 888, an additional REC showed up not long after the release of a shareholding, bringing both more revenue & resource utilisation for that business and racing team.

Prodrive was a case of necessity with the parent pulling out, and DJR was absolutely destined to fall without outside assistance of some sort.

WP was the very best team in the country for a lot of years, commanding top level sponsor dollars from all of their partners... bringing in new investors has probably been possible many times during their history, yet if an investor wants some level of active participation in that business now, when it is not at the top of their game, they clearly understand doing the same thing over and over again is not the answer..

What price Mr Michael to be team principal?
Old 9 Sep 2017, 05:45 (Ref:3765584)   #6
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Equity position for a minority shareholding is not "for sale" but I'll disagree with you and move on.

Whomever takes on the gig will have a big job to do, no doubt about it.
Old 9 Sep 2017, 08:46 (Ref:3765611)   #7
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even back when it still had Holden sponsorship, there was a budget shortfall which the Walkinshaw family were having to meet. So while there has been some reduction in the cost base with Messers Burgess and Tander no longer on the payroll and a bit more income from engine supply deals with Erebus and GRM, likely the team is still running at a loss. So by selling equity, this in theory will offset the need for the Walkinshaws to inject further cash.

These things tend to go one of two ways. Quite well as appears to be the case at 888 with the partners seemingly happy to remain silent and let Roland get on with things, or quite badly as at DJR where Charlie and Dick were constantly at loggerheads. That the prospective partners appear already in disagreement before the deal is even done doesn't bode well.
Old 9 Sep 2017, 08:49 (Ref:3765612)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I really hope Ryan sells up and he can get back to doing what he enjoys.
At the moment he is trying to live someone elses dream
Old 9 Sep 2017, 08:56 (Ref:3765615)   #9
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No he's not.

When I met him he told me of his dream to one day go back to Le Mans with Jaguar like his dad did. He's such a race fan. He loves it.

They haven't been successful under his tenure but you can't say he doesn't have passion.
Old 9 Sep 2017, 09:08 (Ref:3765616)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-star View Post
No he's not.

When I met him he told me of his dream to one day go back to Le Mans with Jaguar like his dad did. He's such a race fan. He loves it.

They haven't been successful under his tenure but you can't say he doesn't have passion.
You actually just really suggested that he is living someone elses dream, His dads dream was to win Le Mans, His dream is to do what his dad did, ie his dads dream or someone elses dream.

They have been a massive failure under his tenure, killed the goose that laid the golden egg and now they are 5th out of 6 holden two cars teams. Just LDM below them.

Not the only team to lose manufacturer support this year either, but well below the other one
Old 9 Sep 2017, 09:32 (Ref:3765622)   #11
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
So it isn't possible for somebody to have the same dreams or aspirations as their parents? Sure things haven't gone well, but from interviews and his at track demeanour, Ryan does seem passionate. And he certainly did handle being dropped by a manufacturer with a lot more dignity than the other more seasoned player did when faced with the same news.
Old 9 Sep 2017, 11:05 (Ref:3765634)   #12
T-star
Racer

So much derp
Old 9 Sep 2017, 11:07 (Ref:3765635)   #13
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-star View Post
So much derp
agreed, if he sells the team however it might fix that problem
Old 9 Sep 2017, 11:54 (Ref:3765650)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 9 Sep 2017, 12:07 (Ref:3765652)   #15
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed.
Old 9 Sep 2017, 12:14 (Ref:3765654)   #16
T-star
Racer

Living someone else's dream apparently
Old 10 Sep 2017, 07:23 (Ref:3765773)   #17
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
With McLaren wanting out of its contract with Honda and the Walkinshaw Racing V8s up there with the best, maybe Ryan was in Woking trying to cut a supply deal?
Old 10 Sep 2017, 08:15 (Ref:3765778)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
With McLaren wanting out of its contract with Honda and the Walkinshaw Racing V8s up there with the best, maybe Ryan was in Woking trying to cut a supply deal?
The funny thing is... Mr Brown recently bought the Tander/Percat Bathurst winner... I wondered from the image and that connection whether Mr Brown's United Autosports wouldn't be a great partner for WP...
Old 11 Sep 2017, 06:32 (Ref:3765971)   #19
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
No.They were both keynote speakers at the Trashing An Iconic Race Team conference.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 08:24 (Ref:3765981)   #20
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What then happens if nobody wants to buy into WR?
Old 11 Sep 2017, 09:19 (Ref:3765995)   #21
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You'd have to think that a meeting was organised to discuss the continued services of James Courtney and that Peter Adderton would want to ensure some continuity as a sponsor and an investor/shareholder.

It's actually quite a telling photo, although the McLaren link doesn't necessarily point to Zak's potential involvement. He'd be a great commercial adversary!
Old 12 Sep 2017, 00:55 (Ref:3766186)   #22
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

now they are 5th out of 6 holden two cars teams. Just LDM below them.
I tell you what, that sentence is an alarming stat, no matter how you look at it. Even more so considering the teams heritage.
Old 12 Sep 2017, 02:21 (Ref:3766187)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I tell you what, that sentence is an alarming stat, no matter how you look at it. Even more so considering the teams heritage.
Especially with 2 of the teams ahead of them running customer WP engines
Old 12 Sep 2017, 08:38 (Ref:3766206)   #24
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

GTR any idea if Paul Little was approached before the news was made public ?

Is HSV in play in any way? Is Jeff Browne still involved.

Both gentlemen were close to Tom I believe.
Old 12 Sep 2017, 10:01 (Ref:3766224)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
GTR any idea if Paul Little was approached before the news was made public ?

Is HSV in play in any way? Is Jeff Browne still involved.

Both gentlemen were close to Tom I believe.
Mr Little was said to be in the mix for a Garth Tander Racing opportunity last year after WP chucked him.. not clear who else (if anyone) may have been approached.