Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 24 Nov 2009, 18:20 (Ref:2588566)   #1
Alexander86
Rookie

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Alexander86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alexander86's Tracks

I made my first track on a computer, using Paint.NET (Thanks Quintin!).
It's just a rough sketch, no facilities or infrastructure, but it's a start.

The track is designed as a technically challenging track, there are not to many slow corners so overtaking may be limited. But I just don't like the Hermann Tilke style start stop tracks. I think this track would work best with low downforce cars. Track length would be about 5km (3.12m), so the home straight should be just under 1km. But I haven't measured it. Is the an easy way in Paint.NET instead of pixel counting?

I've done a lot of simple tracks on paper, in fact I spent a lot of time in high school drawing them instead of paying attention. No one understood what those strange curly things where .

I added numbers for the turns and sections, so there are no misunderstandings. Sp=speed trap, P=pit speed in and out, Sx=sector, S/F= Start Finish line. Pretty simple...

I also added the possibility to split the track in three parts, like most modern tracks.

Please be honest in your comments, don't spare me. Thanks for your comments in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
1st try.jpg  
Old 24 Nov 2009, 19:12 (Ref:2588591)   #2
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very good track as a starter.
I would like to sugest a few things though: firstly moving the pitlane to the outside with the exit halfway through turn one for extra safety and space, secondly I'd change the shortest option as it leaves little room inbetween the sections.
Fortunately these are my only complaints and the pitlane dilemma could also be solved by exiting after t1. Keep 'em coming, Alex.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 19:32 (Ref:2588604)   #3
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintin03 View Post
A very good track as a starter.
I would like to sugest a few things though: firstly moving the pitlane to the outside with the exit halfway through turn one for extra safety and space, secondly I'd change the shortest option as it leaves little room inbetween the sections.
Fortunately these are my only complaints and the pitlane dilemma could also be solved by exiting after t1. Keep 'em coming, Alex.
Agreed, welcome here and congrats for your first effort!

But... I guess the pitlane is just great the way it is - moving it to the other side would be a grave mistake. SBF will shortly arrive and explain

bio
Old 24 Nov 2009, 19:37 (Ref:2588606)   #4
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Alexander,
I find nothing to really complain here - a great one, I wouldn't guess it's not a work of someone who had already designed a lot of tracks. Great job, I'm looking forward to your next ones!

bio

(BTW, this one bears some kind of resemblance to one of the oil-tracks, Bahrain or Quatar, I could never remember which one is which - only this one looks like an (enjoyment-wise) improved version of the real one.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 19:39 (Ref:2588607)   #5
Alexander86
Rookie

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Thanks a lot for your comments.

I would say Bahrain. Unfortunately I got influenced by the fashion of the moment...

I agree with bio on the pit lane. Moving it to the outside would mean you have to go around the run off of t20, which means it's going to be quite long and takes up a lot of space. If you want a larger paddock, it might be better to adjust the second sector and move the back straight some 50-100 meters.

Last edited by Alexander86; 24 Nov 2009 at 19:41. Reason: new post by bio
Old 24 Nov 2009, 20:19 (Ref:2588620)   #6
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a really good track.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 20:24 (Ref:2588624)   #7
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
Agreed, welcome here and congrats for your first effort!

But... I guess the pitlane is just great the way it is - moving it to the other side would be a grave mistake. SBF will shortly arrive and explain

bio
I guess you're right. The other option to ensure a safe pit exit would probably be better.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 20:26 (Ref:2588625)   #8
Roy4
Rookie

Australia
Roy4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice track, really love the way it's design. Hop we some more great tracks from you.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 10:35 (Ref:2588948)   #9
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice circuit.

The pitlane is definitely fine where it is, no need to change that.

The one observation I'd make is there there is perhaps too many corners, some could be smoothed out a little to bring up the average speed and allow the circuit to flow a little easier.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 14:21 (Ref:2589032)   #10
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the blot shape is very Sakhir, but the corner shapes are not.

That is somehow comparable to the blot shape of Barcelona / Montmelo being rather like Estoril.

Learning from existing tracks is a good way to start designing your own.
Welcome to the board.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 18:22 (Ref:2589132)   #11
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
there is perhaps too many corners, some could be smoothed out a little to bring up the average speed and allow the circuit to flow a little easier.
Just to amend this observation a little, I guess we agree that 20 corners on a track this length is not too many by definition - here, in this case some of them might be omitted to preserve track flow everywhere. Right, SBF?

BTW, I could name real tracks' real corners that seem more disturbing flow-wise than any here

bio
Old 25 Nov 2009, 18:24 (Ref:2589134)   #12
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Sure, Yannick, yoiure right: this track resembles Sahir only for the first look, that's what i meant - the corner structure is a whole different story...

I got replies to some of my designs back in my thread about my tracks resembling this or that track and i could never see the similartiy

bio
Old 25 Nov 2009, 23:56 (Ref:2589311)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
Just to amend this observation a little, I guess we agree that 20 corners on a track this length is not too many by definition - here, in this case some of them might be omitted to preserve track flow everywhere. Right, SBF?

BTW, I could name real tracks' real corners that seem more disturbing flow-wise than any here

bio
Again you and I are thinking on the same lines.

20 corners in 5km is perfectly fine given the correct layout and flow, In this case the smoothing out would only eliminate perhaps 2 or 3 corners.

For example in this design, I don't see the stretch between 10 and 11 as being long enough for overtaking into 11 (especially when 10 is a hairpin), smooth out the 11-12-13 chicane into a sweeping corner that then leads up through the 14 into an overtaking chance at 15
Old 25 Nov 2009, 23:58 (Ref:2589313)   #14
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Yeah, I would agree on these changes.

bio
Old 26 Nov 2009, 12:36 (Ref:2589640)   #15
Alexander86
Rookie

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Thank you for the useful comments. I'll try to incorporate them into my next designs.