Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 28 May 2015, 15:38 (Ref:3542121)   #426
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
In response to the newly announced Sprint X GT series:

The TBA sponsor will most likely be Blancpain.

Interesting to see WC Vision launching a direct opponent to their existing World Challenge series, maybe their plan is to split their rather large grid number (and which are causing too many issues for PWC to handle right now) over the 2 racing series and add a couple to make it more controllable (roughly 25 cars in each series) and increase the opportunity for more green lap racing???

I do think it's a good idea to provide a platform for Pro/Pro and Pro/Am driver pairings but feel the two series will ultimately just blend in with each other.

Also: 8Star will be joining the current series at the end of the year: http://sportscar365.com/gt/world-cha...-with-ferrari/

Last edited by Coach Ep; 28 May 2015 at 15:45.
Old 28 May 2015, 16:42 (Ref:3542137)   #427
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't get it. A 60 minute race with a mandatory driver and tire change? Now you have a race that's 10 minutes longer and that's somehow better? I like PWC the way it is right now. It's successful. Why change it? I've been to two races this year (I know that's not as much as the rest of you go to each year) but this seems like a mistake to me. In Europe, they have endurance races and their version of a sprint is a 60 minute race with a pit stop (I assume they do tire changes but I can't remember if they did tire changes when I was at an event last year).

This makes no sense to me at all.

I am trying to make it out to Laguna Seca for the race there. That will make three for me in a season. I know it's not much but I try.
Old 28 May 2015, 16:46 (Ref:3542138)   #428
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a phone call today that will get some questions answered about Sprint X. Should have something up tomorrow morning
Old 28 May 2015, 16:56 (Ref:3542140)   #429
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
I don't get it. A 60 minute race with a mandatory driver and tire change? Now you have a race that's 10 minutes longer and that's somehow better?
I agree. If you are going to have a driver change, then extend the race to 1.5 hours so each driver is accountable. This reaks of "put money guy in until the first caution, then pit for the pro".
Old 28 May 2015, 17:43 (Ref:3542149)   #430
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
It's not terribly offensive to me. What it does seem like is a way to utilize yellows. Instead of having inevitable yellows with cars just waiting to go back to green, let the yellow play into strategy. Not sure how much strategy there is in a 60 minute race with probably no more than 40 minutes on a single set of tires...

Matt on your call can you find out if the Pirellis will be the exact same as the current ones tasked with 50 minutes?
Old 28 May 2015, 18:37 (Ref:3542172)   #431
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
It's literally the exact same format as the Blancpain Sprint Series....
Old 28 May 2015, 19:16 (Ref:3542198)   #432
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
It's not terribly offensive to me. What it does seem like is a way to utilize yellows. Instead of having inevitable yellows with cars just waiting to go back to green, let the yellow play into strategy. Not sure how much strategy there is in a 60 minute race with probably no more than 40 minutes on a single set of tires...

Matt on your call can you find out if the Pirellis will be the exact same as the current ones tasked with 50 minutes?
Sorry, didn't see your questions until now and just had the call, but I am pretty sure they will be using the same tire going forward. I'm trying to find the exact article that mentions the Pirellis now.

edit: http://www.blancpain-gt-series.com/n...orld-challenge

Last edited by nasportscar; 28 May 2015 at 19:26. Reason: found article
Old 28 May 2015, 19:22 (Ref:3542202)   #433
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
BSS has 18 cars and no fans. PWC should stick to what they already know, and sometimes do really well.
Old 28 May 2015, 19:25 (Ref:3542205)   #434
ttdriver2009
Racer

At Mosport for race #1, there were 11 laps of green. So, I guess we will get 13 laps of green with two different drivers in the car for 2016. So, driver 1 gets one lap and driver 2 gets 12.

Seems that this is a way to be like in IMSA where the Bronze or Silver driver runs around until the Gold or Platunim driver gets in and then finishes up the race. Is there a minimum drive time? Are the Pro/Am rules in effect? Is there going to be a separate trophy just for the GTA guys? Is GT Cup going to run? This seems like a way to make a series even more confusing to the people that don't follow it all of the time.

I still don't get it.
Old 28 May 2015, 19:38 (Ref:3542220)   #435
ttdriver2009
Racer

I went to the BSS race a Zolder last year and it was a pretty good amount of cautions and the attendance was good but on great. Many more at Mosport for the PWC race but as for COTA, Zolder won that contest.
Old 28 May 2015, 20:01 (Ref:3542231)   #436
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's see...

Do I spend time and money on a second banana racing series, the PWC.

Or do I spend a little more time and money on something that considered a lower teir racing to the second banana racing series dispite it being 10 minutes longer and requires a expensive tire change, the Sprint X

Or do I spend even more time and money on the TUSC GT3 class next year that has multiple pit stops, last so many time longer but because the class is a 4th and lowest class, it has no commercial exposure for my sponsorship and any success will be dwarf by the Protos and Factory GTE teams.

Decisions, Decisions...
Old 28 May 2015, 20:28 (Ref:3542234)   #437
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Let's see...

Do I spend time and money on a second banana racing series, the PWC.

Or do I spend a little more time and money on something that considered a lower teir racing to the second banana racing series dispite it being 10 minutes longer and requires a expensive tire change, the Sprint X

Or do I spend even more time and money on the TUSC GT3 class next year that has multiple pit stops, last so many time longer but because the class is a 4th and lowest class, it has no commercial exposure for my sponsorship and any success will be dwarf by the Protos and Factory GTE teams.

Decisions, Decisions...
Wealthy amateur drivers really don't care about exposure and such, they wanna be in the same race as the fast pro boys and visit famous events and/or iconic racetracks. IMSA will continue to offer more of that, at a higher price in TUSC yes, but at a similar price as PWC for their new still to be announced sprint series. I'm sure we'll gonna see a few folks doing both series or at least swapping back and forward as the season goes on.
Old 29 May 2015, 14:07 (Ref:3542540)   #438
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Scott Bove answers some questions and gives a little more detail on Sprint X: http://nasportscar.com/scott-bove-pr...alks-sprint-x/
Old 29 May 2015, 16:01 (Ref:3542574)   #439
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
Scott Bove answers some questions and gives a little more detail on Sprint X: http://nasportscar.com/scott-bove-pr...alks-sprint-x/
Lol.

-mike
Old 29 May 2015, 16:29 (Ref:3542582)   #440
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Lol.

-mike
mike, mind elaborating so we can "lol", too?

TIA
Old 30 May 2015, 15:34 (Ref:3542921)   #441
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Great stuff Matt!
This clears up a lot of questions I had regarding the series.
I like the fact the fastest pitstop will be awarded championship points.
Quote:
...and there will be a separate 1 hour TV show on CBSSports and separate live stream that will include live in-car.
Does this mean the livestream will be entirely in car cameras?
Old 31 May 2015, 12:36 (Ref:3543323)   #442
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
Great stuff Matt!
This clears up a lot of questions I had regarding the series.
I like the fact the fastest pitstop will be awarded championship points.

Does this mean the livestream will be entirely in car cameras?
Nope, it will be a normal stream, but they will be using a lot more cool onboard footage during the races and tv shows.

I'm also checking in the initial scheduling ideas, but it sounds like 2016 will have races at the events where PWC is the headliner/standalone
Old 31 May 2015, 14:38 (Ref:3543408)   #443
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently there's no stream for today per PWC twitter.
Old 31 May 2015, 16:14 (Ref:3543443)   #444
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Nope, it will be a normal stream, but they will be using a lot more cool onboard footage during the races and tv shows.

I'm also checking in the initial scheduling ideas, but it sounds like 2016 will have races at the events where PWC is the headliner/standalone
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 3 Jun 2015, 15:00 (Ref:3544590)   #445
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sprint X.....seems kind of ridiculous. If you want an 'endurance' influenced type event the time on track should be extended. 10 minutes more than their current headlining sprint series is a little bit of a head scratcher.

The primary reason for this play, from what I would guess, is to be able to provide enough racing 'product' to hold more stand-alone weekends and run as a headlining series overall.
Old 3 Jun 2015, 17:10 (Ref:3544610)   #446
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GREAT NEWS FOR FANS ATTENDING ROAD AMERICA!

Round 11, the catch up for the missed Detroit round, will be run on Friday at RA! This means three races on the weekend! (June 26-28, BTW)

Bummer that this comes at the expense of Detroit fans, but this is fantastic news for me, as I'm going to be at Elkhart Lake for the weekend's races!

http://www.world-challenge.com/news/...a-weekend.html

Tickets are available here, BTW:
http://www.roadamerica.com/buy-ticke...challenge.html
Old 3 Jun 2015, 17:37 (Ref:3544622)   #447
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Sprint X.....seems kind of ridiculous. If you want an 'endurance' influenced type event the time on track should be extended. 10 minutes more than their current headlining sprint series is a little bit of a head scratcher.

The primary reason for this play, from what I would guess, is to be able to provide enough racing 'product' to hold more stand-alone weekends and run as a headlining series overall.
They aren't promoting it as any type of endurance event and it gets only GT3 cars on the track for their own race to very similar race format as Blancpain Sprint Series. I love the idea
Old 3 Jun 2015, 18:18 (Ref:3544639)   #448
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post

Round 11, the catch up for the missed Detroit round, will be run on Friday at RA! This means three races on the weekend! (June 26-28, BTW)

Bummer that this comes at the expense of Detroit fans, but this is fantastic news for me, as I'm going to be at Elkhart Lake for the weekend's races!

1:35pm Green Flag
Old 3 Jun 2015, 18:26 (Ref:3544645)   #449
DeezPutz
Racer

DeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDeezPutz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have them run the go kart course on Friday. It should be exciting.
Old 3 Jun 2015, 20:42 (Ref:3544695)   #450
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post

That is Awesome!