Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 5 Jun 2004, 23:07 (Ref:995034)   #1
davidmoore83
Rookie

davidmoore83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suspension Design

i am designing a suspension setup for a formula 3000 car. Anyone got suggestions for type of material to use and why? Also what design of setup to go for?
Old 7 Jun 2004, 00:34 (Ref:995696)   #2
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Triple dampers front and rear to give drivers a chance to learn what they will be using in F1. Push rods front, rear depends on gearbox design. steel suspension parts to keep costs down. Geometry you can work out yourself.

Im guessing this is for a Uni project because if you worked for an F3000 manufacturer you would already know what to do.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 00:53 (Ref:995702)   #3
davidmoore83
Rookie

davidmoore83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes it is a uni project.....its in conjunction with shell and VW......i know what i am doing to an extent just wanted to see what others said here......already have gone for carbon fibre as money is no object. Thanks for your reply
Old 7 Jun 2004, 12:58 (Ref:996136)   #4
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope you have some composite experience to make the choice of carbon fiber worthwhile...
Old 7 Jun 2004, 23:09 (Ref:996766)   #5
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pullrods would lower the center of gravity, as well as put the rods in tension which is much better for carbon in that shape but you run into aero issues by putting the shocks down low and trying to clean up the underbody aero. I have read something about the rollcenteres in F1 approaching 30 cm below track level not sure where or how true that is though.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 14:15 (Ref:997336)   #6
Goran Malmberg
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm Sweden
Goran Malmberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have read something about the rollcenteres in F1 approaching 30 cm below track level not sure where or how true that is though. [/B]
Just a rumor. I you look at the A-arms they are pretty much paralell to ground. This makes for a ground level Rc.
Goran Malmberg
Old 11 Jun 2004, 17:28 (Ref:1000936)   #7
flatbroke
Racer

flatbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Use torsion bars
Old 11 Jun 2004, 21:39 (Ref:1001156)   #8
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
money is an oblect at F3000 level, the teams arent all going to be supported by a manufacturer are they. Shell and VW may be able to afford any bespoke solutions you care to imagine but if you ar producing a car which will have to be sold to teams trying to make a profit then you will have to use more standard components. Coil over springs and dampers on steel suspension etc. It doesnt lose much in lap times but it will gain a lot in money saving.

An example of how going for advances makes things too expensive is the Formula BMW championship. The guys that came up with the FBMW concept wanted to make a championship with all the best components in the world. They asked Mygale to produce it. After getting the designs completed with this brief they had made a car which was going to cost over EUR100,000. Obviously at this level of motorsport no driver can afford that sort of expense. BMW were very reluctant to reduce the advances available to them but Mygale managed to back them down and end up producing a car that costs EUR56,000 which is more acceptable but still expensive.

If you want to get a good mark in Uni you need to take this sort of thing into account, this is what makes you a professional and not a dreamer.