formula1fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who knows?
Old 30 Oct 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1753820)   #27
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
V8_TURBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks kind of like it has been lengthened.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1753854)   #28
formula1fan
Racer

England
China Clay Country, Cornwall
formula1fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That pit-lane entry looks REALLY dangerous.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1753884)   #29
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula1fan
That pit-lane entry looks REALLY dangerous.
Totally agree...also there is no run-off on the outside of the second part of the chicane because of the where the pitlane is situated.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 21:48 (Ref:1753887)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Do you need run off there? COnsidering the attitude of the cars and the speed of the cars at that point? In addition there was no run off there before and it was quicker.

I also think that the cars that are pitting will be able peel off without hindering those staying on track (a bit like in Malaysia, although not quite as good).
Old 30 Oct 2006, 21:53 (Ref:1753890)   #31
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't really look lengthened as such, more that the kink after the chicane has been taken out, due to the way the new chicane is placed.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 22:37 (Ref:1753933)   #32
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Do you need run off there? COnsidering the attitude of the cars and the speed of the cars at that point? In addition there was no run off there before and it was quicker.

I also think that the cars that are pitting will be able peel off without hindering those staying on track (a bit like in Malaysia, although not quite as good).
I agree that the second part of the bus stop had no run off, but in latter years it was little more than a kink, this one appears to have potential for interlocked tyres on open wheelers, and side-by-side "love taps" in enclosed cars. Both scenarios require at best space to recover, and at worst somewhere soft to land.

Had the pit entry been shown on the outside of the second part of the chicane I would agree, but it appears to be actually between the two apexes, meaning that a car entering the pits is going to have a much slower apex speed as it will have to hold a tighter exit from the first apex.
If the driver of a car behind doesn't realise what's happening and squirts the throttle, he'll launch straight over the top of the pitting car.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 23:08 (Ref:1753951)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Obviously we speak before really seeing the full design. However;

I don't think the pit entrance is an issue. I had considered the tighter line aspect which you mention. This depends on the length of track before the left into the pit lane proper. I suspect there is plenty of space there to allow the pitting car to be travelling (slightly) quicker while in the chicane proper as it doesn't have to complete the tight chicane.

The wall at the exit does not provide an unreasonable risk. You describe two accidents which are possible, but they are an acceptable risk IMHO. Interlocking wheels are more likely on the entrance and mid part of the corner and this corner profile has now provided run off that would more likely cover that situation.

Yes, it isn't the safest thing in the world (that is sat at home), but I don't find it "REALLY dangerous". The rest of the circuit is actually more dangerous and the rest of the circuit is completely acceptable.

It won't stop me racing there.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 08:11 (Ref:1754133)   #34
cosmicpanda
Rookie

cosmicpanda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's not more dangerous than locked wheels at, say, Monaco or some parts of Albert Park and Montreal :P
Old 31 Oct 2006, 09:58 (Ref:1754249)   #35
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see no problem with the pit lane entry. Please enlighten me.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1754297)   #36
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your going to have cars slowing down WAY too much to get into the pits, and they will be on the racing line, very dangerous IMO.

Last edited by Chatters; 31 Oct 2006 at 10:55.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 31 Oct 2006, 10:55 (Ref:1754299)   #37
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think it matters too much. Considering the slow speeds at the chicane, the run-off they've got there is fine
Old 31 Oct 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1754301)   #38
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only time will tell.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 31 Oct 2006, 11:18 (Ref:1754319)   #39
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
I think the cars heading for the pits will be quicker through that little part between the right-hand en left-hand section of the chicane. Why? Simple: because their left-hander into the pits is further away from the right-hand entry to the chicane then the left-hand exit that cars on the racing line will choose.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1754353)   #40
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
More info and pics Here

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 31 Oct 2006 at 12:31.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1754362)   #41
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Looks like a pretty impressive overtaking spot.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1754377)   #42
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That pit entrance looks absolutely fine. It's not on the racing line, it's at least a car width and a half off to the right. Cars that are pitting will take the first part of the chicane as normal but simply not accelerate as hard and peel off to the right. No problem at all IMO.

It seems I was spot on about the relative positions of the old and new chicanes too

I think overall it'll be alright, but we could do with a bit less of this asphalt run off IMO.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 12:57 (Ref:1754383)   #43
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
WAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Your going to have cars slowing down WAY too much to get into the pits, and they will be on the racing line, very dangerous IMO.
From Peter's pictures I don't think a car going into the pits will be going significantly slower (if at all) than a car staying on the track.

It is still difficult to see from these artists impressions.

It is no worse that Donington's pit entrance which is just after the final corner. The corner configerations are a little different, but do people coming out of here significantly slower to keep left and pull into the pits cause a problem?

Last edited by Adam43; 31 Oct 2006 at 13:00.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 13:02 (Ref:1754388)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the entry speed into the chicane will be increased because its straighter than the entry to the Bus Stop, also its another 50m down the road. But, I think it will cause more bunching at La Source because the current Bus Stop allows the cars to pull away from the first part and the exit is pretty quick so there's no means of staying with the car infront.

Its got a similar feel to the final turn at Istanbul which has the same effect of keeping the cars together for the run to the first corner.

For those of us who race there I think its going to be quite exciting.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 13:21 (Ref:1754406)   #45
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Looking at the other graphics, my concerns over the run off issue are appeased to a certain extent.

I do still have a worry regarding the pit entry, and in particular the right rear corner of an open wheel going into the pits being rather exposed to a car behind accelerating quicker.

I'm not sure the Donington comparison stands up, given the pitlane entry is on the straight after the chicane/hairpin. Not on the quick squirt between 2 parts of a chicane.

But as has been said, the real evidence one way or the other will come when car get onto the track, and the new pitlane is used "in anger".
Old 31 Oct 2006, 19:22 (Ref:1754643)   #46
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
The Donington example is different except that it demonstrates your perceived problem that one car entering the pitlane has to slow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
I do still have a worry regarding the pit entry, and in particular the right rear corner of an open wheel going into the pits being rather exposed to a car behind accelerating quicker.
I presume you mean left rear corner (looking from the rear)? The car going into the pits will also be accelerating at that point and possibly more than the car that is remaining on the track (which still have to negotiate the final part of the chicane). i.e the car entering the pits will squirt more. Furthermore one will turn right and the other keep left.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 22:11 (Ref:1754777)   #47
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
My oops I did mean the left rear corner...and point taken about the pitting car also accelerating.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 03:56 (Ref:1758669)   #48
ausracefan
Rookie

Australia
Frankston
ausracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't drivers just run wide at the exit of the corner to enter pit lane, thus getting out the quicker drivers way. Or am i missing something here
Old 6 Nov 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1758994)   #49
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
The pit entry as best as can be determined from various graphics released so far, is to Drivers right immediately after the right hand apex of the right left chicane.