Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 13 Oct 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1737389)   #1
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Baby Bertha at Mallory

I don't think this has been posted before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkxxpMI__5o

For those who remember Special and Super Saloons in the 70's.

A few familiar faces appear as well
Old 13 Oct 2006, 23:12 (Ref:1737489)   #2
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
move it....

marvellous, marvellous stuff but should be moved to one of the sports sedan threads....cheers for that
Old 14 Oct 2006, 00:11 (Ref:1737498)   #3
Dex
Racer

Dex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
on that same site is a great video of the Droopsnoot launch race at Thruxton - Vauxhall really got the launch of that car right - now that's what a one-make race should look like
Old 14 Oct 2006, 07:22 (Ref:1737569)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done for posting Gerry and Bertha, thats the kind of racing that would bring back the spectators! I got to know Gerry well over the years [and Bertha for that matter], he always maintaned that it was the best car he ever raced!.
Old 14 Oct 2006, 07:22 (Ref:1737570)   #5
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brilliant stuff, fantastic memories and a great example of how club racing should be before the noise police got hold of it.
Old 14 Oct 2006, 08:12 (Ref:1737576)   #6
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
While in the brilliant 1970s mode, remember the huge F3 pile-up at the Brands GP meeting in 1978?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enR2z...brands%20hatch
Old 14 Oct 2006, 08:34 (Ref:1737598)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Well done for posting Gerry and Bertha, thats the kind of racing that would bring back the spectators! I got to know Gerry well over the years [and Bertha for that matter], he always maintaned that it was the best car he ever raced!.
Nice video but I don't think total and predictable domination by one car/driver would bring back crowds. Now if they were all more evenly matched......
Old 14 Oct 2006, 08:43 (Ref:1737603)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
It is the spectacle that would bring back the crowds if we had supersaloons again. Most of those cars were spectacular, even circulating alone. How many modern race cars can you say that about? Not many. In general, over engineered, handling too good, too quiet, few 'Gerry/Tony' type characters = boring.
Old 14 Oct 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1737613)   #9
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Nice video but I don't think total and predictable domination by one car/driver would bring back crowds. Now if they were all more evenly matched......
It wasn't always predictable as sometimes they were a bit unreliable, but Marshall and Baby Bertha were the cream of the crop and were always going to be hard to beat. It's possibly why Super Saloons faded away.

Like Andrew I would love to see them back on track but unfortunately the noise police might take away some of the sparkle. Also, I don't think anybody could drive the way Marshall did, although that guy last week at Snetterton seemed to be having a good go in the Jag!
Old 14 Oct 2006, 11:42 (Ref:1737689)   #10
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at the Mallory meeting. I remember Gerry apologising because he had to drive for the championship and not throw the car around. Great stuff. Also notice where the barriers are, particularly around Gerards.
Old 14 Oct 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1737743)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Aussie V8 Touring cars for GB would be a damned good start:-)
Old 14 Oct 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1737746)   #12
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Now that would be good.
Old 14 Oct 2006, 12:48 (Ref:1737749)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great stuff. The in-car footage was particularly interesting.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1738966)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Oh that fantastic Repco V8 noise gives ya goosepimples doesn't it?!

That must've been pretty impressive to watch trackside, with 20 odd other beasts snarling their way round as well.

Great link!!
Old 16 Oct 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1739053)   #15
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
It was brilliant. Great noise, big crowds, little run-off allowing close up spectating. What went wrong?
Old 16 Oct 2006, 12:48 (Ref:1739284)   #16
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tremendous stuff chaps, I was there too, Mallory I mean, October '76 IIRC. Surprised to that Cortina mk3 going so well, was it the Shelton brothers car, or maybe Alistair Thompson. Will check the old prog later !
Old 16 Oct 2006, 18:22 (Ref:1739540)   #17
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thought you may have been there Dan! Don't think I was, not for that one.

Anyway, Gerry's family are putting together a website in rememberance of the big man. Take a look although early days with much to add. It has a guest book if you would like to leave comments.
http://www.gerrymarshall.com
Old 16 Oct 2006, 18:33 (Ref:1739548)   #18
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I saw no CoCoTinA.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 20:33 (Ref:1739636)   #19
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the cortina belonged to Alistair Thompson/dave thompson it was based on a f5000 car
Old 18 Oct 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1741071)   #20
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
big Andy, it was based on an ISO-Marlboro F1 car, really a Williams I guess. Thompson came out in it in the F1 form a few years later, in period livery too. V interesting car, anyone got any comments about it ?
Old 18 Oct 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1741131)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
None other than (IMO) thats what kille d the formula, stuff like that based on single seaters.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1743467)   #22
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
While in the brilliant 1970s mode, remember the huge F3 pile-up at the Brands GP meeting in 1978?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enR2z...brands%20hatch
Thanks Andrew, that has brought back all the memories of the period when I was involved in F3 with Colin Thorpe in the late 70's & early 80's.

Terry
Old 1 Dec 2006, 10:20 (Ref:1779369)   #23
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Man oh man what an incredible piece of footage. Gerry Marshall was a true legend... some reckon one of the greatest racing drivers of all time ! Is it just me, or was motorsport just better then ? There was fantastic variety in the cars, charismatic drivers, fantastic sounds and great racing. And just look at the way Bertha twitched down the hill past the start/finish... that's what we want to see racing cars do !

Give me 5 minutes to grab a set of flairs and droopeye sunglasses before I press that red button to time-warp my way back there right now !
Old 1 Dec 2006, 11:13 (Ref:1779406)   #24
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Is it just me, or was motorsport just better then ? There was fantastic variety in the cars, charismatic drivers, fantastic sounds and great racing
IMHO I think it was. Less technical, corporate and not so politically correct!
Old 1 Dec 2006, 18:44 (Ref:1779757)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep.