Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 8 Apr 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2860605)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2012 World Rally Championship

A provisional 2012 WRC calendar has been leaked. The most significative news is that three of them will be held on two countries (among them mine, Uruguay!). These would have over 500km of special stages. The FIA is also looking of a Monte Carlo WRC/IRC doubleheader. Italy would be dropped, NZ would replace Australia as usual, a new Gulf race would replace Jordan and Japan wouldn't return.

Except for the absence of Japan, this is a great calendar. I'd love a Corsica-Sardinia endurance race, and Germany and France (Alsace) be merged.

Sweden-Norway
Mexico
Portugal
Argentina-Uruguay
Greece
Finland
Germany
New Zealand
France
Spain
Abu Dhabi-Oman-Dubai
Great Britain
Old 8 Apr 2011, 18:59 (Ref:2860633)   #2
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the merged country rallies are a good idea and I heard a rumor about the FIA lengthening some of the rallies to longer events.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 23:11 (Ref:2890821)   #3
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
January 22 - Monte Carlo
February 12 - Sweden
March 11 - Mexico
April 1 - Portugal
April 29 - Argentina
May 27 or June 6 - Greece
June 24 - New Zealand
August 5 - Germany
September 16 - Great Britain
October 7 - France
October - Italy
November 4 - Spain

Monte Carlo for Finland, only 3 non-European races... not sure if I like that.
Old 4 Jun 2011, 01:10 (Ref:2890846)   #4
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Finland's on 5th August.

http://www.rallybuzz.com/monte-carlo...calendar-news/
Old 4 Jun 2011, 01:14 (Ref:2890847)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
And Germany on August 26. My mistake, sorry. Now it's much better. But a 13-race world championship shouldn't have 10 European races. Japan should be back.
Old 4 Jun 2011, 14:47 (Ref:2891064)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
No Finland? Oh dear. That's one of the classic events.
Old 4 Jun 2011, 17:18 (Ref:2891118)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
And Germany on August 26. My mistake, sorry. Now it's much better. But a 13-race world championship shouldn't have 10 European races. Japan should be back.
Japan and Abu Dhabi could be part of the WRC in future years, but it was more important to get Monte back and have some endurance events like Argentina.
Old 5 Jun 2011, 00:56 (Ref:2891274)   #8
The Eye
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
The Eye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I think the merged country rallies are a good idea and I heard a rumor about the FIA lengthening some of the rallies to longer events.
It is not a merged Rally Sweden and Rally Norway. Rally Norway have been an economic fiasco, the same goes for the attendance. Introducing stages in Norway is just a way of strengthening the Swedish Rally.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2892194)   #9
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Official news: "There will be one full day of stages run in Norway"
Old 8 Jun 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2893840)   #10
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do miss the Tarmac rallies we see a few years back...
Old 9 Jun 2011, 12:02 (Ref:2894241)   #11
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if this is a sign that the economic conditions are forcing rallying to return to its 'core' European market? If so its a backward step. F1 is going in the other direction.

I guess we've all got favourites but I'd like to see the Safari back. Okay its expensive but its a great spectacle and would really add something to the championship. Jordan was fairly spectacular too. I wonder if we'll get a US round in the future given the profile of rallysport in the X-games?
Old 9 Jun 2011, 14:41 (Ref:2894347)   #12
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
4 out of 13 (including Monte Carlo) isn't brilliant, I agree. And we surely won't see any tarmac rally outside Europe in a long time - unless the Arabs build a ridiculously huge Nordschleife of the Sands.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 14:58 (Ref:2895165)   #13
quinton11
Rookie

quinton11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
A return to the Lombard RAC would be nice the night parts as well England , Wales & Scotland a proper test of car and crew
Old 21 Jun 2011, 14:31 (Ref:2902903)   #14
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you change Abu Dhabi to TBA please as i saw on Autosport that has been ditched and still planning to go to Middle East but we have to wait for a new place to be found
Old 21 Jun 2011, 17:57 (Ref:2903000)   #15
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
The 2011 Rally Abu Dhabi will be a WRC Candidate Event, that is non-points and I guess also no-World Rally Cars.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 16:12 (Ref:2960014)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Confirmed 2012 World Rally Championship calendar:

January 17/22 - Monte Carlo
February 9/12 - Sweden
March 8/11 - Mexico
March 29 / April 1 - Portugal
April 27/29 - Argentina
May 25/27- Greece
June 22/24 - New Zealand
August 2/5 - Finland
August 24/26 - Germany
September 13/16 - Great Britain
October 4/7 - France
October 18/21 - Italy
November 1/4 - Spain

2012 Super 2000 World Rally Championship calendar:

February 9/12 - Sweden
March 29 / April 1 - Portugal
June 22/24 - New Zealand
August 2/5 - Finland
September 13/16 - Great Britain
October 4/7 - France
November 1/4 - Spain

No Mexico (major Fiesta market), Germany and Italy (tarmac rallies) - terrible decision. They should have left New Zeland out instead.

2012 Production World Rally Championship calendar:

March 8/11 - Mexico
April 27/29 - Argentina
May 25/27- Greece
June 22/24 - New Zealand
August 24/26 - Germany
October 18/21 - Italy
November 1/4 - Spain

No Finland and Great Britain - terrible decision, they are Group N classics. Mexico and Germany should have been left out instead.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 11:46 (Ref:2987181)   #17
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WRC 2012 - Rumours, Facts, Opinion......

Hi. My first post in the Rally section of ten tenth!

I've been very surprised (and pleased) to learn that Mikko Hirvonen is switching camps and joining Citroen for next year. (Official anouncement due later in the day, at 2pm GMT) Finnaly things are changing at the front, which can only be exciting since the situation was getting boring these last year, with Loeb dominating.

I'm impatient to see how Mikko fare against Seb on equal machinery!

Also, this reveals tensions between Ogier and Loeb inside Citroen have reached the breaking point.

So now Ogier is off, heading to one of the three other camps. Where do you think he's going? My bet is on Volkswagen, but I'd be happy with any of the possible move. If he's not going to Ford, who's going to partner Latvala?(which was pretty solid this season, even stronger than in 2007 IMO)

Btw thanks to the people of the forum who kept raising WRC threads over the years when nearly nobody seemed to bother. I regret having not contributed, but I will do it from now. WRC is gaining some momentum again after a long dark period, and I believe in two years it will be one of the most popular motorsport again.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 11:55 (Ref:2987187)   #18
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyselegend View Post
I've been very surprised (and pleased) to learn that Mikko Hirvonen is switching camps and joining Citroen for next year. (Official anouncement due later in the day, at 2pm GMT)
I wasn't expecting that, but yes it should make things more interesting at the top end. Ford are very competitive though, I wonder if Ogier will move there in a straight swap for Hirvonen?
Old 16 Nov 2011, 12:32 (Ref:2987200)   #19
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ogier will be going to Ford, Suprised Mikko has gone to a team where he will be the number 2 driver, but atleast now we might get to see what Seb2.0 and JML can do without being held back.

Also will be intresting to see what happens with Petter, Only works drive left would be VW, but is he a good test and development driver as thats what they need. They have said they want 2 front running driver.

Think Mini will keep the 2 drivers they have, but after such a good first season, i wonder how many of the second string teams will switch from Citroen/Ford to Mini!
Old 16 Nov 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2987214)   #20
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Looks like being an interesting off season in the WRC (which is a welcome change!).

So lineups for next year?

Ford: Latvala, Ogier
Citroen: Loeb, Hirvonen
MINI: Meeke, Sordo
VW: Solberg, ?

If VW are looking for another experienced driver who's most likely?

I think Hirvonens best chance of beating Loeb was this year I'm not convinced he'll be able to match him in identical equipment. On the other hand I think Ogier needed to move - he's obviously very good but was number 2 behind Loeb, the move will give him a chance to stake a claim to the Ford team leader role (although Latvala will obviously be pushing for this too).
Old 16 Nov 2011, 14:59 (Ref:2987258)   #21
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now official: Autosport-Mikko Hirvonen replaces Sebastien Ogier at Citroen

Indeed Ogier is unanimely expected to be confirmed at Ford, so it's a direct swap. The reason I thought he was heading for Volkswagen was because I have read interviews of Volkswagen Motorsport's boss Kriss Nissen in which he confirmed trying to snatch Ogier (after failing to secure Loeb's services) was amongst the priorities. And Carlos Sainz was sharing the same opinion.

But it's good news for Ford, because not only they get strong fresh blood to shake things a little, plus signing a new driver's contract proves the CEO board must have given the green lights to continue the WRC program, which was not looking obvious recently.

Also, both manufacturers have diversified their line up with that move, which is good for both from a marketing point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_cooper View Post
Also will be intresting to see what happens with Petter, Only works drive left would be VW, but is he a good test and development driver as thats what they need. They have said they want 2 front running driver.
Petter have been very keen to continue with his own structure if possible, but on the same time seemed to struggle a lot to find the fundings. Since the overall level of the championship is likely to increase further from now on, he'd be wise to revise his position and link himself with either Mini or Volkswagen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_cooper View Post
Think Mini will keep the 2 drivers they have, but after such a good first season, i wonder how many of the second string teams will switch from Citroen/Ford to Mini!
Yes! Mini has been quite a surprise. Their asphalt performance is really top notch. On the tarmac they're already ahead of Ford!

Sure Prodrive has such a score that it could seem obvious to some that they were going to perform well, but after the last years of the Subaru program, and the total Fiasco of the AMR-One sportscar journey, it was not so obvious they would meet succes with that Mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
On the other hand I think Ogier needed to move - he's obviously very good but was number 2 behind Loeb, the move will give him a chance to stake a claim to the Ford team leader role (although Latvala will obviously be pushing for this too).
I think at least Ford do not decide who's number 1 before the season, unlike Citroen. So both him and Jari-Matti have their chance.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 12:36 (Ref:2987699)   #22
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
So, after six straight seasons driving a works Ford Focus and clinching three vice-championships, Mikko Hirvonen will switch to Citroën to join eternal rival Sébastien Loeb.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 13:36 (Ref:2987723)   #23
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very surprised at this move. Seems Loeb has managed to get the youngster the boot!

He never was bothered with Sordo when he was his team-mate but ogier beating him cleraly doesnt wash!

Eitehr that or Ogier knows what dies his bread is buttered on and while Loeb is at Citroen, he knows he will never get the best of everything or have the car built round him.

Latvala is good, but Ogier has proved to be the only guy around at the moment who can beat Seb if not all the time, with a car built for him perhaps, he might start to chip away.

Let's hope so as WRC remains a dull thing to watch up front, if not further back.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 16:16 (Ref:2987795)   #24
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hope that other manufactures join the new 1.6T WRC's. I also hope that one day it would be possible to compete with current rented or bought WRC's rather than team orders. To be honest I only like to watch the tarmac stages and those in snow and Wales...
Old 17 Nov 2011, 17:16 (Ref:2987828)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ogier has always been a bit of a hothead and he will never equal Loeb's record. I think initially a lot of people thought he could be a direct replacement of Loeb, but I don't think that's ever was going to happen.

In any case I was a bit surprised to see the news on my phone yesterday and it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.