Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 May 2014, 19:53 (Ref:3403886)   #101
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
If her contacts have got her in to F1 why could they not get her a competitive Indycar ride?
One word: ovals. In IndyCar, the Indy 500 is arguably more important than all the other races combined, so if you're not a decent oval driver, good luck finding a top drive. And, long story short, Simona has had quite an horrible time getting to grips with the ovals.
Old 8 May 2014, 20:02 (Ref:3403892)   #102
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno, I think if it looked like someone like James Jakes would get an F1 seat I'd be equally annoyed. I don't think it is a sex thing. She's pretty good actually, good enough to be an average IndyCar driver. I just think that F1's a bit out of her depth.

I still don't see it happening. At the moment I don't see Sauber entering any drivers at all next year. Spain's really vital for their season and likely beyond.
Old 9 May 2014, 20:21 (Ref:3404286)   #103
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
She's more deserving than a guy like Chilton. So let her have a crack at it. She turned heads on pace in Indycar on roadcourses early on, so she has talent within her that needs maybe a disciplined, focused environment.

I like her work ethic and attitude. She's not a prima donna like princess Danica. There's none of that glam garbage, she's a serious character.
Old 9 May 2014, 20:54 (Ref:3404299)   #104
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
She's more deserving than a guy like Chilton. So let her have a crack at it. She turned heads on pace in Indycar on roadcourses early on, so she has talent within her that needs maybe a disciplined, focused environment.

I like her work ethic and attitude. She's not a prima donna like princess Danica. There's none of that glam garbage, she's a serious character.
I think this is all totally fair, especially the Chilton comparison.

Selby
Old 9 May 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3404307)   #105
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are others more worthy in IndyCars who won't get a look in from F1 though. She's reasonable enough and might not be totally out of her depth if she gets a chance, but there are more talented guys who are unable to get a chance - Robin Frijns for a start.
Old 9 May 2014, 22:51 (Ref:3404334)   #106
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide View Post
There are others more worthy in IndyCars who won't get a look in from F1 though. She's reasonable enough and might not be totally out of her depth if she gets a chance, but there are more talented guys who are unable to get a chance - Robin Frijns for a start.
There are. She was finally in a competative car, without the awful 'Lotus' engine and got 2nd place in Houston but I feel she should have stuck it out in IndyCar this season, considering what a short season it is, getting some more great results and experience under her belt and then made the jump to F1.
Old 9 May 2014, 22:58 (Ref:3404335)   #107
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebastian Saavedra just got a pole in her old car.
Old 9 May 2014, 23:02 (Ref:3404336)   #108
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
If she finally gets the gig she'll do a fair job, do her one or two years and then back to Indycar. She'll be a female answer to Ralph Firman Jr I think.

Sure, there are hotshots more worthy but hotshots getting passed over because they are potless, well that's the age old story of F1. You can be certain the top dogs are world class but from mid field down, you better have a pot of gold on hand or you're not going anywhere.
Old 9 May 2014, 23:21 (Ref:3404338)   #109
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Sebastian Saavedra just got a pole in her old car.
Because of the weather Saavedra and Hawksworth are over a second ahead of third place, so that really renders that fact meaningless.
Old 9 May 2014, 23:24 (Ref:3404339)   #110
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post

This is why I don't mind her being where she is. If we are going to have female drivers for the sake of having them in F1 to attract female viewers and participants, I'd much rather have SdS than any of the ones currently out there or that have previously filled that void. Despite her record she's always been very serious and I think she's good enough to be in that position right now, and she wouldn't embarrass herself should she be thrown into a race seat in the future. You could argue that Willy T. Ribbs didn't deserve a Brabham test but 21 years later we had a black world champion. Some people need to see the forest for the trees and realize that this is a process and that todays formula racing world needs to change a lot for women to be able to eventually succeed. And Simona getting this oppurtunity, because of what she's done in a car MORE THAN her looks or who she's married to, helps.
Old 2 Oct 2014, 13:57 (Ref:3459532)   #111
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
After the initial hype and the hiatus Simona de Silvestro's been dropped by Sauber.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116121
Old 2 Oct 2014, 19:37 (Ref:3459623)   #112
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
After the initial hype and the hiatus Simona de Silvestro's been dropped by Sauber.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116121
No money, no go.
Old 2 Oct 2014, 20:55 (Ref:3459647)   #113
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sad,but not surprising.It would be nice if she got a chance to demonstrate her potential at some point.There are countless other drivers of whom the same could be said and too many so-so drivers with a pile of money occupying seats their talent would not justify.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 01:03 (Ref:3459686)   #114
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This where F1 shoots it's self in the foot...
Simona de Silvestro was a great opportunity to show race fans, look we have a woman driving a F1 car and doing a darn good job of it. That is/was very cool...She is really very talented, what a shame...
Old 3 Oct 2014, 16:52 (Ref:3459872)   #115
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
This where F1 shoots it's self in the foot...
Simona de Silvestro was a great opportunity to show race fans, look we have a woman driving a F1 car and doing a darn good job of it. That is/was very cool...She is really very talented, what a shame...
I totally agree.

After all the PR blurb we've had with Susie Wolff (and others with even less potential...) Simona was the one I really thought could make it. She's a proven winner and a real talent.

As you say, an opportunity lost.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 17:06 (Ref:3459876)   #116
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I don't know where this leaves her, as far as a drive is concerned. A return to IndyCar?
Old 3 Oct 2014, 19:46 (Ref:3459924)   #117
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is really sad to me, because she was a driver who genuinely looked like she might have the ability to make a good job of it, F1 kinda seemed on the cusp of a big moment in terms of having a good, competitive and talented female driver who was actually there on merit and a serious, dedicated character who was just another 25 year old newcomer to the sport with a real chance of making the grade. Gender less of an issue, ability more.

In contrast to someone like Danica Patrick who is all gloss and hype over any remote substance as a racing driver, or Susie Wolff who seems like a lovely person but it blatantly nowhere near the standard to ever set foot in a F1 car were she not, y'know, married to Toto Wolff. Those two would not be positive because the only reason they're anywhere near where they are is gender. Simona De Silvestro is actually a talent, a proper, genuine talent who with the right combination of luck, application and grit might actually one day stand on an F1 podium or better.

If not her, who? Back to Susie driving a Williams? Great.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 20:09 (Ref:3459936)   #118
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sauber have massively dropped the ball this season so I can understand them not wanting to take a risk, but then again they've employed two of the slowest drivers on the grid this year... I wonder whether SdS was bringing any money to Sauber or if she was asking for money. Compared to F1, Indycar drivers pretty much all get paid a decent amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m355y View Post
or Susie Wolff who seems like a lovely person but it blatantly nowhere near the standard to ever set foot in a F1 car were she not, y'know, married to Toto Wolff.
To be fair when Susie got the drive with Williams Toto wasn't allowed to help make the decision and I think she did a very respectable job in Germany.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 20:40 (Ref:3459948)   #119
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post
Sauber have massively dropped the ball this season so I can understand them not wanting to take a risk, but then again they've employed two of the slowest drivers on the grid this year... I wonder whether SdS was bringing any money to Sauber or if she was asking for money. Compared to F1, Indycar drivers pretty much all get paid a decent amount
I don't know about that according to this article from,

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...ar-comparison/

''DRIVERS
Top F1 team: $47 million; Top IndyCar team: $3 million. Two times world champion Fernando Alonso is one of the highest paid sports stars in the world, receiving an annual salary of $40 million from Ferrari. In contrast leading IndyCar drivers receive $1-2 million per year. Unlike F1 drivers they also receive prize money – $2.5 million for Dario Franchitti when he won last year’s Indy 500 – but are usually expected to give at least half of this to their team.'' and IndyCar has it's fair share of pay drivers.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 20:57 (Ref:3459954)   #120
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alonso get's paid the most I think but for more than half the grid they're bringing money to the team rather than the team paying them I believe. I could be completely wrong but it seems to me F1 will pay more at the top end but you've got a better chance of making money in Indycar than you do in F1.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 21:08 (Ref:3459956)   #121
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
And as we all know there's only one person that makes serious money from F1 and he doesn't even drive
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Oct 2014, 00:15 (Ref:3460029)   #122
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
And as we all know there's only one person that makes serious money from F1 and he doesn't even drive
I wonder who that could be?
Old 4 Oct 2014, 10:20 (Ref:3460150)   #123
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rebellion should pick Simona up!
Old 4 Oct 2014, 12:40 (Ref:3460179)   #124
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whilst those at the top of F1 get paid mega bucks to drive, those at the bottom pay mega bucks to drive.

At least in Indycar she would be getting paid.
Old 4 Oct 2014, 18:47 (Ref:3460362)   #125
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Simona had other ideas though...