Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Oct 2007, 10:08 (Ref:2053117)   #1
pdman
Racer

New Zealand
Napier
pdman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie whingeing about Silverstone again

I see Bernie is threating not to renew Silverstones contract after 2009 (interview on 5 live).

So what's wrong with Silverstone ?
Personally I like it, to me it feels like a race circuit and their should be more circuits like it....
BUT the trend seems to be making the circuits where you can turn up in your best suit and polished shoes with the girls wearing the best party frock and we all have jolly time sipping champangne whilst watching the dashing young drivers scoot along the track ...........AHHHH.

I want to be close to the track not stuck up in some grandstand where I need bino's and big TV screens to see the race...
Old 28 Oct 2007, 10:34 (Ref:2053136)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I don't believe for a minute that Bernie wants Silverstone off the calendar. He just wants to keep the BRDC on their toes.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 10:39 (Ref:2053137)   #3
orrmate
Rookie

United Nations
Leeds, Yorkshire, England
orrmate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Interlagos keeps its place, then surely Silverstone is worthy? I agree it could do with a few upgrades, but don't take it off the calendar.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 11:17 (Ref:2053156)   #4
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdman

So what's wrong with Silverstone ?
Personally I like it, to me it feels like a race circuit and their should be more circuits like it....
I want to be close to the track not stuck up in some grandstand where I need bino's and big TV screens to see the race...
Have you been to Silverstone? Or compared it to many other circuits, for that matter?
Old 28 Oct 2007, 11:21 (Ref:2053159)   #5
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
I don't believe for a minute that Bernie wants Silverstone off the calendar. He just wants to keep the BRDC on their toes.
I agree. If Bernie really, genuinely wanted rid of Silverstone he could have engineered it years ago.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 28 Oct 2007, 11:55 (Ref:2053187)   #6
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes i don't know what he has against the place. Perhaps it's the BRDC he has something against. I have raced there and spectated there since the late 60s and I like the place. Much preferred it in it's original configuration though. But it's still a proper race circuit not a Mickey Mouse track like those designed by Tilke. Ecclestone reminds me of a that sad old grandad who keeps his sweets in his pocket and wont give any to the kids. Like Moseley, whenever he opens his mouth he makes a fool of himself now. The interview with Martin Brundle on the grid in Brazil was a typical example of this.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 13:02 (Ref:2053230)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
The circuit itself is fine, especially for F1, but the facilities are very dated. That's comparing them with Monza, Spa-Francorchamps and even Mugello, which is 'only' an F1 test track.

They performed wonders at Spa before this year's race, particularly considering it's built on the side of a hill. If they can do it, then so should the BRDC. Actually, I don't much like the BRDC either. They're far too smug and self-satisfied. The only period when they appeared to be in touch with reality was when Martin Brundle was Chairman, but he soon realised he was banging his head against a brick wall and left them to it.

Don't forget that if it hadn't stopped raining just before this year's race, the event would have been a disaster. Water-logged car parks and camp sites; they were even panicking about areas inside the circuit.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 13:20 (Ref:2053242)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
I don't believe for a minute that Bernie wants Silverstone off the calendar.
Especially with Lewisyteria at its peak
Old 28 Oct 2007, 13:32 (Ref:2053251)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Bernie has also said that the "London GP" is not yet dead.Personally I think it would be better situated in South Yorkshire somewhere,but that's my opinion.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 13:40 (Ref:2053255)   #10
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Silverstone as a racing circuit is just fine, but its whats next to it thats the problem it badly needs a new pit complex, proper covered grandstands, proper spectator facilities, a museum and a far better technoparc.

however the grand prix as an event has not caused problems it has also not shone - its TV ratings aint great (in the UK more people watch the USGP than the British), Bernie doesn't get on with the BRDC.

You get people like Jackie Stewart banging on about the fact that the government does not help, well the government did pump a load of cash into british motorsport while back - try and find out what it was spent on!!

Also the government solved the Silverstone traffic issues by building the A43 - a huge undertaking.

Silverstone needs to make itself a destination - hotels, conferencing, shuttle busses to a main line station, a museum, a proper technology park.... that will fund the improved facilities

The london GP isn't dead but... it aint gonna be F1!!!
Old 28 Oct 2007, 14:02 (Ref:2053263)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I thought this was all in the works with Silverstone though..Bernie is just reminding The BRDC that they need to get there fingers out..

I am sure that Damon's letter about The Mosley/Stewart remarks has prompted BE to lean on Silverstone yet again.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 14:52 (Ref:2053310)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The spats come to mind for me too here.

It's all too irritating for words. Take Interlagos. Wonderful circuit and I wouldn't see it go for anything. But it is third world stuff in terms of facilities apparently, yet Bernie doesn't seem to care about that.

These things never boil down to facilities or whatever, there is always an underlying issue to these points Bernie tries to make about Silverstone.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 15:19 (Ref:2053331)   #13
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They don't know they are born. I remember the old grass paddock at Mallory Park. Now you knew about it when it was wet there, i can tell you.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 15:27 (Ref:2053336)   #14
pdman
Racer

New Zealand
Napier
pdman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Have you been to Silverstone? Or compared it to many other circuits, for that matter?
Thought that was clear in my orginal post
Old 28 Oct 2007, 16:03 (Ref:2053369)   #15
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdman
Thought that was clear in my orginal post
It's just that your opinion of Silverstone is so different to what other people think of it, especially when you compare it to other tracks like Brands, Cadwell, a hillclimb venue or other non-F1 tracks, I began to doubt!
Old 28 Oct 2007, 17:14 (Ref:2053419)   #16
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interlagos is getting a paddock upgrade as part of the new deal extension to 2014

But then Silverstone are planning one as well and it is moving forward so I can't see why Bernie should complain. Probably just his way of hurrying it up

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he complains even after it's finished
Old 28 Oct 2007, 22:03 (Ref:2053638)   #17
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Exactly - he'll always find something to complain about at Silverstone, if only because he has issues with the BRDC.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 28 Oct 2007, 23:30 (Ref:2053686)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
We like to complain don't we...
Old 29 Oct 2007, 00:11 (Ref:2053709)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
We like to complain don't we...
It's a British thing.

Even in Heaven we'd complain about the weather.
Old 29 Oct 2007, 00:20 (Ref:2053711)   #20
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
It is indeed Martyn I know because I am one( British that is) and I am sure we will in heaven (complain that is) between talking about F1 of course...Do they tea in heaven do you know?
Old 29 Oct 2007, 00:39 (Ref:2053716)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Do they tea in heaven do you know?
I've no idea..........however,if you like your tea hot.........
Old 29 Oct 2007, 01:04 (Ref:2053722)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
Exactly - he'll always find something to complain about at Silverstone, if only because he has issues with the BRDC.
Or more to the point, the government. Britain's about the only place F1 goes to where, when asked to lick his shoes doesn't reply 'how shiny?'

Sorry, but it's all about power politics and the British government doesn't play ball. And long may that remain the case, I say.
Old 29 Oct 2007, 15:59 (Ref:2054147)   #23
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bernie's just doing BRDC a favour. If they didn't have some complaint or other of his to complain about they'd have no reason to exist.
Old 29 Oct 2007, 19:05 (Ref:2054286)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'ver never been so i cant comment on the facilities and i agree with those that make the argument that these things have more to do with personal matters rather than real world problems of facilities and logistics etc....

and here comes the but...but if England wants to maintain is status as the centre of the racing world why should they not be expected to also provide an example, rather set the standard, of what F1 track should be. in fact i find it hard to believe that the desire to build the best track & facilities in the world is not fundamentally the priority.

it's really a shame that the government doesn't take a larger role in this, but thats hardly BE's fault. of course you can say that he should be doing more - like maybe paying for it himself
Old 29 Oct 2007, 19:12 (Ref:2054289)   #25
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl
i'ver never been so i cant comment on the facilities and i agree with those that make the argument that these things have more to do with personal matters rather than real world problems of facilities and logistics etc....

and here comes the but...but if England wants to maintain is status as the centre of the racing world why should they not be expected to also provide an example, rather set the standard, of what F1 track should be. in fact i find it hard to believe that the desire to build the best track & facilities in the world is not fundamentally the priority.

it's really a shame that the government doesn't take a larger role in this, but thats hardly BE's fault. of course you can say that he should be doing more - like maybe paying for it himself
You can not imagine the outcry in the UK if the government were to support Formula 1. There would be the usual, how many hospitals could have been built with the money etc etc. There is zero chance of UK government support from any of the parties. However we must remember that it is BE who sets the charges and as this is a private business the GP,s will go to the highest bidders. That is always going to be Governments.