Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 27 Jul 2012, 11:11 (Ref:3112044)   #1
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the kitbag

I've been shooting with a DSLR for around 10 months now and I feel like I'm missing out a bit in terms of what I have in my camera bag. I've got the following:

Canon 1000D
18-55mm Kit Lens
Tamron 70-300mm A17e Lens and hood
Canon 50mm F/1.8 Prime Lens

And thats it really. No filters, the kit lens is good for paddock shots, and Tamron is good for trackside.

What would you look at buying to compliment that bundle?
Old 27 Jul 2012, 11:46 (Ref:3112077)   #2
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Save up for a better lens. The Canon 70-200 f4 L whilst shorter will give sharper and more vibrant images, and there are better lenses serving the 70-300 range or thereabouts.

The 18-55 can be improved on quite easily.

Then consider a body upgrade.

For the time being you've got the basics covered - paddock lens, track lens, body and a prime.

Last edited by andrewc; 27 Jul 2012 at 11:54.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 15:01 (Ref:3115990)   #3
autoidiodyssey
Rookie

United States
Maryland
autoidiodyssey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A circular polarizing filter could be useful to cut down on reflections. Maybe a couple of Neutral Density filters, these allow you to take slow shutter speed pans without having your f stop go super high on bright days. I don't have one of these yet but I think this will be my next purchase.

As far as different lenses go, are you happy with the focal range you have? I started with the kit lens and a Canon 55-250. After a couple of races I decided I needed something longer than 250 so I picked up a Sigma 150-500. If you are happy with the range you have you can look to upgrade. I have the 70-200 f4L mentioned above, it is a very good lens.
Old 6 Aug 2012, 15:01 (Ref:3116697)   #4
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
The pola filter should be somewhere around 2 stops of light dropped, so that can help with the ND issue as well...
Though I've not felt the need to use an ND in 15 years?
Just stop down.
I second buying better glass though. Go for the best optics you can afford, at any one time, and treat it all as a long term investment.
Possibly a flash, to fill in shadows, and light things up at night?
Old 2 Oct 2012, 18:26 (Ref:3145321)   #5
Treadbrook
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Treadbrook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends how keen you want to get and what the budget is. I shot for years using a 70-200 f2.8L - still my favourite lens - before investing in a large prime. I really went mad and bought a 400 f2.8, but even the 300 f4 produces stunning results, better than you'll ever get out of a zoom.

I second the comments about a circular polariser. I never take it off.

So - depending on your budget - 70-200 f2.8 first, 7D body next, prime lens after that.

There! I've kept you poor for years!!