Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Apr 2009, 13:49 (Ref:2430614)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Old "Melbourne Grand Prix" track

Just wondered if anyone had any images of this old track? Apparently Melbourne held an F1 GP in the 50's billed as the "Melbourne GP".

Anyone got any information?

Cheers

Selby
Old 1 Apr 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2430682)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/racing...tPark1956.html

Formula Libre races, held as the Aussie GP in 53 and 56. Held at Albert Park, with Lauda (then called Lucas), Lakeside Drive Albert Road Drive and the section after the chicane are at the same place.

Any help?
Old 1 Apr 2009, 22:59 (Ref:2430947)   #3
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Google maps link

Selby's link has the circuit info but unfortunately does not overlay the two different track layouts as it does for most that have changed over the years. Have a look at the above link, you can see the road linking turns 2 and 15 - this was the original start-finish straight. The road went straight at turns 3 and 5, forming "the other side of the square" with turn 4 (if that makes sense). Turns 9/10 and 11/12 were a lot smoother - you can see where the road is on the telecast (which is used as the normal road ~360 days/year).

Another view can be seen from the 1966 street directory:
http://melwayed1.ausway.com/057.jpg
http://melwayed1.ausway.com/058.jpg

The "Australian Grand Prix" page on Wikipedia has a list of winners and venues for all AGP's since 1928.

This link has some photos from the 1956 race:
http://www.autopics.com.au/cache/lis....html?cache=no

There is an iconic shot of the grid, featuring Stirling Moss etc and a very young Alan Jones at the side of the track watching his father Stan on the front row, I can't find it online though.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 23:51 (Ref:2430974)   #4
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Selby's link has the circuit info but unfortunately does not overlay the two different track layouts as it does for most that have changed over the years.
I managed to get the old and new tracks to overlay.

Clicky:http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/racing...lia/index.html

Click on the link then on the old track, then the new track and hit back. You can see the bits that are common between the two.

Jeff

Old 2 Apr 2009, 00:04 (Ref:2430978)   #5
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The1956 race was known as the "Olympic GP" due to Melbpuorne hosting the games at the same time.
It's a long time ag so my memory might be gtting a bit off, but as I recall the circuit came up nearer to the top of the Albert road drive and did not use the section that cuts across the top of the lake. and as stated by john went straight from what was Melford to Jaguar.
I presume wen the mention of smooth was made it was regarding the curve radius rather than the surface, Even by the pretty crude stadards of race circuits in Australia at that stage it was tight and bumpy in places.
Even without the lobyists to protect them there was no way any parkland trees were going to be removed and many very largeones were right on the edge of the bitumen protected by a few scattered hay bales.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 01:07 (Ref:2430998)   #6
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It also ran the opposite direction in the 50's as well.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 08:17 (Ref:2431097)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks guys - Looks like the same main skeleton but with less turnings Which was what I expected, really...

I can't wait to get my new PC so I can play all these old tracks on rFactor! I've been researching older tracks recently and I love seeing how they've changed over the years. What's been kept, modified, or simply scrapped and for what reason.

Selby
Old 2 Apr 2009, 09:33 (Ref:2431166)   #8
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i went to a couple of events at the old Albert Park circuit in the late 50s. The circuit ran in the opposite direction to the new track and safety was pretty non existent as was the go in those days.

I was at the March 1957 meeting and remember seeing some of the greats of Australian motor sport of that era, Davison, Jones, Whiteford etc. It was the first race meeting I ever attended and I was hooked on the sport.

I also attended the 1958 Melbourne Grand Prix at Albert Park when Stirling Moss and Jack Brabham ran Coopers for the Rob Walker and factory teams respectively.

I remember running alongside Moss as famous Aussie journo David McKay interviewed him as he ran to a helicopter to ferry him to Essendon Airport because he had a plne to catch that night.

Amazing to think that all these years later we are again enjoying thrilling motor races at Albert Park such as last weekends AGP. Long may it continue!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2431265)   #9
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Powerhouse esses are aptly named.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 05:34 (Ref:2432035)   #10
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Selby if you go to http://www.exige.me.uk/Motorsport.zip and download it. It has the location and various incarnations of ccts all over the world. Brings them up on Google Earth.

Cheers
Old 3 Apr 2009, 14:17 (Ref:2432413)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Thankyou sir! Some great responses here - thanks again guys.

Selby
Old 3 Apr 2009, 14:30 (Ref:2432426)   #12
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Selby if you go to http://www.exige.me.uk/Motorsport.zip and download it. It has the location and various incarnations of ccts all over the world. Brings them up on Google Earth.

Cheers
Thanks to M Coupe who put me onto that several years ago in the My Tracks thread. It was updated only recently