Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Oct 2007, 19:37 (Ref:2041028)   #1
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota set to bail out?

Here we are, http://www.italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=16743&cat=1 , not sure about this but even they can't have a bottomless pit of money, if they do leave i hope they carry on with engines, maybe put a bit of extra cash into Williams.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 19:39 (Ref:2041030)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they don't race next year (and Frank Williams gets his way), we will have a 16 car F1 next year. Which will be stupid.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 19:52 (Ref:2041044)   #3
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
They probably will race next year but 2008 may be the finale...
They would be far better to put their resources into engines and do a couple of teams as suppliers. It would cost less than 20% of what they are spending now and they would learn as much and could still use the sport as a training ground for engineers.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 19:54 (Ref:2041046)   #4
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think they're speculating on Toyota leaving at the end of 2008, nevertheless 2009 could have a pretty lean grid.

I'm very surprised Toyota are still in F1 to be honest, I'm not sure how their RoI is derived.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 20:55 (Ref:2041113)   #5
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, i read it as deliver next year or bow out at the end of it, they need to get a star in to replace Ralf because they wont do anything with Trulli and Glock.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 21:18 (Ref:2041123)   #6
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
If they don't race next year (and Frank Williams gets his way), we will have a 16 car F1 next year. Which will be stupid.
I don't get what you mean by Frank getting his way? i would of thought he'd of wanted more teams on the grid not less?
Old 15 Oct 2007, 21:43 (Ref:2041146)   #7
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Moss
I don't get what you mean by Frank getting his way? i would of thought he'd of wanted more teams on the grid not less?
I think Mr. Toaster's implying to the loss of all of the customer car teams, since if Williams legal action is fully successful, Prodrive & Super Aguri would be unlikely to be on the grid next season - and I've assumed he means Toro Rosso too, but I'm sure the resources for a quick glue and snap together would manifest themselves in their case.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 22:06 (Ref:2041164)   #8
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
You'd get 3 car teams before that

But I would wonder about a potential domino effect if they go. Perhaps Renault would as well as they're notorious waverers, and 1 going might tip them over. Then with 2 manufacturers gone you could get a WRC effect
Old 15 Oct 2007, 22:16 (Ref:2041172)   #9
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone on another forum was saying that they know someone who works for Toyota.

Word is they are desperate to get out of F1 at the earliest opportunity and go back to Le Mans with a petrol-electric hybrid LMP. They would also invest their time and money into Williams in a similar way that Mercedes have in McLaren.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 15 Oct 2007, 22:24 (Ref:2041179)   #10
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I think they would be better off investing their funding into Williams than doing what they are doing now. Better return on investment surely.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 00:22 (Ref:2041218)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Frank was very smart in going direct to Toyota Japan regarding engines instead of through the team's bosses in Cologne.

It presented an opportunity for Toyota Japan to benchmark the team against Williams and evaluate for the future.

I daresay the 2007 results have not been favourable for Toyota F1 - and it would need a pretty drastic turnaround in 2008 to remain on the grid the following season.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 01:44 (Ref:2041239)   #12
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota did really well in 2005, and I thought that they would be doing even better in 2006 and be a championship contender this year. But since 2005 things have only gotten worse, and if they have another terrible season in 2008 they will probably leave very quickly.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 03:22 (Ref:2041257)   #13
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it a good idea because i cant see them getting any better,if they do go they should supply engines to teams or focus on 1 team say williams.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 03:50 (Ref:2041262)   #14
Racenut7
Veteran

Racenut7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1GP Boss could take over those two seats.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 07:23 (Ref:2041326)   #15
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP
Well I think they would be better off investing their funding into Williams than doing what they are doing now. Better return on investment surely.
How about this scenario: Toyota pull out of the championship and supply engines, money and other support to Williams. Williams then in turn supply customer cars to be run by Prodrive?
(You can laugh now, but remember where you saw this first...)
Old 16 Oct 2007, 08:35 (Ref:2041388)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT
How about this scenario: Toyota pull out of the championship and supply engines, money and other support to Williams. Williams then in turn supply customer cars to be run by Prodrive?
Williams would rather pack it in than supply another team with their chassis.

Toyota giving up and supplying engines to Williams and whoever takes their place is a possibility however.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 08:50 (Ref:2041400)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Should never have left sportscars.........
Old 16 Oct 2007, 09:42 (Ref:2041473)   #18
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think Toyota will have to get some results soon or admit defeat and pull out. I question whether we'd see them develop a relationship with Williams like the one between McLaren and Mercedes though - I've always got the impression that Williams don't want a manufacturer having too much input into the way they do things, and that was one of the reasons for their relationship with BMW going sour. There's no reason why Toyota couldn't continue as an engine supplier, but I think with Williams they would have to be just an engine supplier and nothing more.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 16 Oct 2007, 09:45 (Ref:2041475)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If Toyota secures Mr Alonso, it might just be a whole other ballgame
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Oct 2007, 09:50 (Ref:2041481)   #20
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Funny how every thread comes back to him, isn't it?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 16 Oct 2007, 10:36 (Ref:2041541)   #21
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT
That certainly wouldn't be such a bad thing. Could see Williams back up the heap with the extra money and the feedback coming in from Prodrive. Ironic, but not bad.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 10:52 (Ref:2041567)   #22
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
If Toyota secures Mr Alonso, it might just be a whole other ballgame
Don't think he'd make much difference to be honest... and he knows that too.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 15:45 (Ref:2041875)   #23
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Toyota buying customer cars at a gracious rate from Williams for their Cologne squad? Up to now, they've been very gracious when it came to buying parts, so why not buy cars at the same rate?

In turn, ProDrive would be allowed to buy whomever's cars.

My guess is that Spyker wouldn't like the idea.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 16:04 (Ref:2041902)   #24
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This news doesn't surprise me. Toyota came in wanting and expecting wins and Championships, and after this long without even a win, it's getting embarrassing and no wonder they want to pull the plug.

Toyota would be better off supplying engines and perhaps buying into a team like Williams.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 16:10 (Ref:2041908)   #25
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Should never have left sportscars.........
Or rallying

I hope if they do go it doesn't persuade other teams to go as well. Renault and Honda in particular. But then it'd serve F1 right for relying on manufacturers too much