Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Feb 2009, 14:12 (Ref:2398513)   #51
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't doubt the McLaren claim with previous line ups that both drivers got equal chance. But it would be naive in the extreme to suggest that is still the case. As soon as McLaren realised they had a potential great on their hands in His Almighty Deity Hamilton they also realised that the Ferrari strategy with Schumacher was the only way to go to maximise their asset - i.e. run him as clear number one and employ a driver who, while very, very good in his own right, is able and willing to fulfil a number two role.
Old 16 Feb 2009, 14:27 (Ref:2398521)   #52
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what do u expect? Mclaren are corrupt to the core! as previously mentioned other driver have been screwed over, DC, Monty, Alonso. Alonso had the courage to stand up an make noise. If I ever meet him I will congratulate him on standing up for himself and black mailing dirty Dennis! Hk is just being a good boy and getting shafted, he is made to look bad with crap stratepies, heavy loads.
Old 16 Feb 2009, 14:45 (Ref:2398528)   #53
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wouldn't say Heikki's getting shafted, but Hamilton gets the inevitable slight favouritism on strategy. I couldn't see Hamilton having been beaten by Vettel in Monza though. That said, Kovalainen looked dismayed on the podium. I get the impression he was annoyed by being fuelled heavily there, but I think Hamilton would have made it work and won.

I rate Kovalainen though. He got an OTT amount of stick in 2007 for a few bad races at the start of the season which appeared to give him a reputation throughout that year.
Old 16 Feb 2009, 15:09 (Ref:2398541)   #54
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer
what do u expect? Mclaren are corrupt to the core! as previously mentioned other driver have been screwed over, DC, Monty, Alonso. Alonso had the courage to stand up an make noise. If I ever meet him I will congratulate him on standing up for himself and black mailing dirty Dennis! Hk is just being a good boy and getting shafted, he is made to look bad with crap stratepies, heavy loads.
Do you think McLaren should favour one driver or not?
Old 16 Feb 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2398587)   #55
RF_Racer
Veteran

no, let them race!
Old 16 Feb 2009, 18:22 (Ref:2398610)   #56
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
no, let them race!
Right, well Alonso's battle with McLaren stemmed from his desire to be given unequivocal number one status, and their reluctance to give it to him. So why did you support his blackmailing of Ron Dennis?
Old 16 Feb 2009, 18:53 (Ref:2398623)   #57
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it may have been more like he was number one, but then the Hamilton dream started to come true and the team switched priorities!
Old 16 Feb 2009, 19:20 (Ref:2398638)   #58
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was never a number one. Alonso and Hamilton were racing all season. Alonso had his crew and Hamilton had his. Sometimes Alonso was faster, sometimes Hamilton was faster. It was always the team's reluctance to enforce team orders while both had a shot of winning the WDC that ultimately led to neither winning it.
Old 16 Feb 2009, 23:01 (Ref:2398752)   #59
RF_Racer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Right, well Alonso's battle with McLaren stemmed from his desire to be given unequivocal number one status, and their reluctance to give it to him. So why did you support his blackmailing of Ron Dennis?
Because Alonso is no pussy, he had the courage to fight against bully tactics used by Ron and the Hamiltons. Heikki is behaving is just taking all the crap its about time he made some noise if he is really getting screwed over by the tea,m.

Its take a brave man to do something like that, I admire him a great deal for that!
Old 17 Feb 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2398934)   #60
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree - I like HK's manner and I hope that the situation comes to him a little this year. If the new car spec suits his style things might be quite different. Hamilton's technique is tough on tyres and it might not work out quite so dominant for him this year.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 10:26 (Ref:2398941)   #61
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Because Alonso is no pussy, he had the courage to fight against bully tactics used by Ron and the Hamiltons. Heikki is behaving is just taking all the crap its about time he made some noise if he is really getting screwed over by the tea,m.

Its take a brave man to do something like that, I admire him a great deal for that!
I believe Alonso's behaviour stemmed from his dislike of being challenged by his team-mate. On the rare occasions that Fisichella was faster than him at Renault, he displayed similar behaviour, which would back this up. Alonso is just one of those drivers who likes the focus of the team to be solely on him.

I find it quite odd that you claim to oppose a driver hierarchy yet vociferiously support a driver who insists on it.

I also disagree with your theory that blackmail is a brave and courageous act.

Last edited by Super Hans; 17 Feb 2009 at 10:31.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 10:44 (Ref:2398948)   #62
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I like HK too. He seems like a nice bloke without any tickets on himself (very rare in F1!), and an excellent racer, he beat the mighty Schumacher in the Race of Champions, let's face it.
I just think he's suffered more than Hamilton with Mclaren's bizzare strategy choices (sometime I just wonder what on earth they're on?), and that's why his results don't reflect his abilities.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 10:44 (Ref:2398949)   #63
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
I agree - I like HK's manner and I hope that the situation comes to him a little this year.
I like Heikki too, he seems a lovely fella. If he manages to overcome Hamilton in 2009 then good on him, I just can't see it happening.

Last edited by Super Hans; 17 Feb 2009 at 10:48.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2398975)   #64
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Heikki continues to struggle with the McLaren, he may yet fall back even further this year. Both drivers struggled with tyres last year, just Kovalainen never had strategies dictated by strong advice from Bridgestone. Hamilton wore out the front tyres fast, Kovalainen the rears. So with the balance in tyre grip Kovalainen needs to work doubly hard to keep the rears alive.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 12:31 (Ref:2398992)   #65
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Macca doesn't claim to have an outright #1 driver, there was never a declared #1 when Mikka Hakkinen won his 2 WDCs even though DC was clearly playing support from early in the season.
Heikki will have a fair shot until he's too far behind lewis for it to make sense to run him in any other way. This is what Mclaren have always done and i assure you than their sentiments of 'golden boy Lewis' would not stop them backing Heiki in the WDC is circumstances dictated it.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 18:14 (Ref:2399169)   #66
RF_Racer
Veteran

Quote:
I believe Alonso's behaviour stemmed from his dislike of being challenged by his team-mate. On the rare occasions that Fisichella was faster than him at Renault, he displayed similar behaviour, which would back this up. Alonso is just one of those drivers who likes the focus of the team to be solely on him.

I find it quite odd that you claim to oppose a driver hierarchy yet vociferiously support a driver who insists on it.

Put it this way, Alonso was getting 2nd rate treatment by Mclaren, did you see how they jumped for joy when he ha da big crash at Fuji? That just about sums it up.. Mclaren is a Hamilton team any other driver would get screwed over, most likely reason Rosberg turned down Mclarens advances.

Hell yeah, blackmail was a brave and noble act against dirty Ron!
Old 17 Feb 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2399177)   #67
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Put it this way, Alonso was getting 2nd rate treatment by Mclaren, did you see how they jumped for joy when he ha da big crash at Fuji? That just about sums it up.
Yes, the McLaren team tended to favour Hamilton (in terms of support) after Alonso tried to blackmail them. Funny that.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 18:42 (Ref:2399190)   #68
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
There's no bravery in blackmailing people - whoever they are - instead it's the most coward thing one can do.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2399244)   #69
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the end of the day, Lewis is probably going to beat Heikki in 2009, due to one reason.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 23:32 (Ref:2399334)   #70
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I like Heikki too, he seems a lovely fella. If he manages to overcome Hamilton in 2009 then good on him, I just can't see it happening.
I don't see it happening either and I'm not sure McLaren would want him to try. But Heikki is a far better driver than most people on this thread seem to realise.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 23:47 (Ref:2399342)   #71
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
helterskelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
I don't see it happening either and I'm not sure McLaren would want him to try. But Heikki is a far better driver than most people on this thread seem to realise.
I agree. And you can't judge him on one year. If I had to take a year to judge him, I'd consider 2007, when he came 2nd in Fuji, beating champion-to-be Kimi Raikkonen on a super wet track, in a Renault, against championship winning Ferrari, and clearly outpaced Fisichella. Let's wait some more time before saying he's wasted his chances in F1
Old 18 Feb 2009, 12:51 (Ref:2399609)   #72
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Mclaren is a Hamilton team any other driver would get screwed over, most likely reason Rosberg turned down Mclarens advances.

Hell yeah, blackmail was a brave and noble act against dirty Ron!
I'll have what he's having

Funny however that it was Frank Williams who turned down McLarens advances and not Rosberg.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2399876)   #73
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's good, but Hamilton is simply better. And i don't know if he got a set-up handle on the car last year. He's a great guy, hopefully he'll be at the sharp end of the field this year.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2399913)   #74
amdb7gt
Rookie

England
elland, west yorkshire
amdb7gt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanfisique
McLaren has used the 2008 rear wing during the last couple of tests...what´s their target???

Check It Out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rvomv4w0Us
McLaren ran a 2008 rear wing in Portugal because they had little rear end grip with the 2009 version in the pouring rain. This seemed to be a common problem with most teams that attended the test.

Mclaren are never going to win the constructors championship with a team consisting of Hamilton and Kovalinen because HK isn't consistant enough.

Remember when thinking about his performances last year he did have a massive accident which wouldn't have done his confidence much good.
Old 21 Feb 2009, 12:04 (Ref:2401335)   #75
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by helterskelter
I agree. And you can't judge him on one year. If I had to take a year to judge him, I'd consider 2007, when Vettel crashed into Webber due to Hamilton antics.. Hamilton convieniently elimating Webber who was lapping faster and would have swept into the lead with ease,
Fixed that for you. Hardly a strong second in the Renault for Heikki there, two cars went out ahead which were both faster.