Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Mar 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2426887)   #1
stump_1100
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
stump_1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shocking ONE HD commentary

I haven't caught the BBC coverage yet as we in Australia are fortunate(?) to have the new ONE HD channel. I've watched both Friday and Saturday hoping that they will rectify the terrible audio and the stupidity of the commercial break timings, but I guess I'm to be disappointed.

We lost 4 minutes of stage 1 of quali so they could jam in some commercials and this continued through the final stages. Pretty poor show! I almost jumped on the PC to find a live BBC stream.

I bet no one on 10 Tenths realised that Mark Webber has changed his name, the idiots (Greg Rust and the other moron - I can't even recall his name) continually call him "our Mark Webber" - It's so bloody embarrassing and cringe worthy.

I'd rather listen to James Allen than these clowns!
Old 28 Mar 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2426889)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stump_1100 View Post
I'd rather listen to James Allen than these clowns!
Are you sure?! It must be really bad!
Old 28 Mar 2009, 08:56 (Ref:2426895)   #3
stump_1100
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Yep, never thought I'd say it but our home grown team are rubbish (commentary team that is). All I can say is thank god we get to listen to the BBC during the race.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 09:38 (Ref:2426937)   #4
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's bad.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 09:48 (Ref:2426949)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I'd be living with the poorer (though perfectly watchable) standard of the internet feed, if I were you.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2426968)   #6
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
The Land Of More Then One Crow
Another Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The UK viewers don't know how lucky you have it.

For the Australian viewers, Channel TEN and their affiliates are ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!!!!!

Remember that when you ever think of emigrating. I'm an Australian that lived in the UK for 10 years and then came back home so I know what I'm talking about.

There is no HD channels in the bush so first off living less then 6 hours from the race in Melbourne the first program was midday Saturday for GOD SAKE, you would swear we live in the THIRD WORLD!!! Thanks Southern Cross Broadcasting, you're amateurs, sell the broadcasting business to someone with passion and who CARES about their customers!

Then when we finally did get some broadcast, qualifying was FULL OF ADS!!!!

I DID stream the live timing from the F1 site whilst watching it so I could see what was happening, instead of having to watch some idiot actor pulling a stupid face pretending he had eaten some rubbish chicken product that had given him a hot breath. IDIOTS!!!

To top it off this is our HOME RACE, so this is as GOOD AS IT GETS!!!!

As I said in another thread its enough to make you move to the UK so you can watch some decent F1 coverage.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 10:14 (Ref:2426973)   #7
hgmonaro
Racer

hgmonaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greg Rust thinks his name is "Australia's Mark Webber" I don't think I've heard him say his name any other way. Diffy just called him "Mark Webber" and I thought 'gee is that a new guy in the field!!'

the BBC commentry during qualifying was abysmal. Brundle's fine but the other bloke (Jonothan?) was hopeless.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 10:37 (Ref:2426991)   #8
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
As I said, not getting the HD in the bush I can't comment but from what you have said about the commentary it sounds not only terrible but embarrassing.

But with the standard free to air transmission I must admit when they "crossed" to the BBC commentary team I found it lacking compared to past years ITV commentary (god forbid I even said that, that in itself says something!!!), but further add to that I also found the directing of the live program pretty poor as well.

Not much better then a primary school play to be honest.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 10:37 (Ref:2426992)   #9
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see you guys are in or around melbourne, why don't you just go to the track?
Old 28 Mar 2009, 10:54 (Ref:2427002)   #10
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
6 hours, just near the track!

Jee's I know we are Australians but 6 hours is stretching it for "just near the track".
Old 29 Mar 2009, 05:07 (Ref:2427558)   #11
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft View Post
I see you guys are in or around melbourne, why don't you just go to the track?
I have two young daughters who need parenting more than I need to go to the race. I've only missed three Melbourne grands prix since Jeff Kennett brought the race to Melbourne and today will be my fourth. It is not always possible for locals to attend the race even when they want to.

But your point is merely a red herring. The standard of the coverage, particularly with the number of ads jammed in to the first third of the qualifying hour, was appalling. Network Ten should be hanging their heads in shame but they know they have a captive market so they will continue to treat their viewers with contempt.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 06:27 (Ref:2427594)   #12
Prospeked
Rookie

Prospeked should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THis BBC ledger guy is a god damn blithering idiot. Never thought id say i would prefer James Allen
Old 29 Mar 2009, 07:07 (Ref:2427619)   #13
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospeked View Post
THis BBC ledger guy is a god damn blithering idiot. Never thought id say i would prefer James Allen
I'm SO with you - he needs to stop gabbling, calm down a bit, stop spitting out the word "Button" and just say it and lastly learn a bit about racing so that he talks sensibly about it.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 08:27 (Ref:2427759)   #14
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Old 29 Mar 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2427776)   #15
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mate

I'm an Australian...haven't used this term for years....but who the hell was the (10/One HD) "ocker" roving reporter whose every third word was mate
Old 29 Mar 2009, 08:40 (Ref:2427782)   #16
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
I'm SO with you - he needs to stop gabbling, calm down a bit, stop spitting out the word "Button" and just say it and lastly learn a bit about racing so that he talks sensibly about it.
I was much more comfortable with him in quallyt than the race. He seemed to be always on the wrong pace to me. He is all hyped up and excited when nothing is happening and when it's all going on he is calmly telling some irellevant story while Martin is trying to comment on the action on screen.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2427794)   #17
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Leigh Diffey still hasn't learned to talk without shouting
Old 29 Mar 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2427818)   #18
hgmonaro
Racer

hgmonaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite enjoyed the 'roving reporter' (who name escapes me). Some std questions along with some offbeat ones.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 09:06 (Ref:2427825)   #19
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Legerd was quite good, and a MILLION times better than Allen. Thats just an insult. Brundle as good as ever, I think the BBC coverage is better than ITV, and they haven't exactly changed much, just some of the presenters. NO ADVERTS!!!
Old 29 Mar 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2427828)   #20
stump_1100
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
He also does the "colour" reporting for the Beach cricket! I reckon they bought him in so Diffey doesn't get all the criticism.

Well done to the Brawn team and Webber can't take a trick can he?
Old 29 Mar 2009, 09:22 (Ref:2427854)   #21
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just watched ONE HD's news coverage of the GP on Sports Tonight. The graphic, 2008 Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix.
An interview with Rubens I think it was was then supered with "Sir Richard Branson"
These people actually get paid to do this.
On the BBC Coverage Legered was WAY better than James Allan but technically at least on the ONE HD feed the audio was badly over compressed. Peaks were clipping and levels were lacking in any light and shade.
First up effort need to do way better.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 09:25 (Ref:2427857)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Can we start a poll? Which verbose nothing-sayer would you prefer??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 29 Mar 2009, 09:39 (Ref:2427887)   #23
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on, its got to be Legard, it's the first race fir years where the whole commentary hasn't just been re-caps.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 09:47 (Ref:2427897)   #24
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Legard deserves a few races to get into the swing of things! Even James Allen, over the course of the years, went from utterly-unbearably-hurrendous to just-about-bearable-though-still-totally-annoying.

Allen would annoy the crap out of me even when he was saying something relevant and useful, whereas I don't mind listening to Legard even when he is gibbering on. That, to me, is the major difference that makes him WAY preferable to Allen.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2427901)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Legard talked over Mr Brundle through the whole telecast. Mr Brundle barely got a word in edgewise.. he is the professional, lets listen to his perspective rather than the James Allen-inspired drivel about some cars being 0.2s quicker on some laps than others....

Maybe its the BBC stats man we need to remove??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods