Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Mar 2009, 10:42 (Ref:2427961)   #1
teammoda
Racer

teammoda has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Did F1 look cheap?

I know the cost cutting is a plus for the sport but my word F1 did look cheap today and the coverage from the BBC was desperate,on Saturday Coulthard and Jordan were mainly interested in slagging each other off! and the Sunday coverage could only be described as amateur.It has to be said that the front wings kill the cars appearance and frankly did little to bunch the field up(FIA its all in the tyres,always was always will be!!).As usual the drivers gave us the entertainment that will always be there but Hopefully as the season goes cost cutting F1 wont look so cheap .
Old 29 Mar 2009, 10:50 (Ref:2427968)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
So, um, you are proposing expensive cost-cutting? That seems to have been the FIA approach most years, but of course it was not actually cost-cutting in the end.

I thought it looked the same as it always does. The cars look a bit weird, but not cheap. There was overtaking. There was racing when the cars were close to each other.

Is it just that you have to find a few things to complain about?
Old 29 Mar 2009, 10:59 (Ref:2427980)   #3
zakeriath
Racer

Wales
Swansea
zakeriath should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No not at all, close racing, overtaking, big difference in tyre strategies, weird looking cars, (but the first time they removed the air boxes it looked different). Admittedly Jordan & DC seamed a bit prattish but it was their first meeting together, give it until spain.

If all the races this season are going to be as exicting as this one, we should be in for a good one.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2428018)   #4
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just get rid of Jordan and the coverage will be as good as possible. I think that if the rest of the season is this close and exciting, its going to be great. As for it looking cheap, I don't think it looks that different. I suppose the Renault maybe, but that's just because it looks like some lower formula car and has a terrible paint job. I think F1 looks better than it has the last five years at least.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2428020)   #5
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakeriath View Post
No not at all, close racing, overtaking, big difference in tyre strategies, weird looking cars, (but the first time they removed the air boxes it looked different). Admittedly Jordan & DC seamed a bit prattish but it was their first meeting together, give it until spain.

If all the races this season are going to be as exicting as this one, we should be in for a good one.
Yes!! weird looking cars...they looked like miniature F1s...and the race was mostly processional
Old 29 Mar 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2428022)   #6
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Not cheap at all.

Racing good, stewards decisions bizarrely correct (!), didn't even notice the difference in car shapes one the race got going, BBC coverage good (DV/EJ just need practice), Legard commentary OK, Red button options great! Enjoyed the forum stuff afterwards, good interview with VJM.

No, not cheap in my view. Not much to dislike at all.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2428030)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I disagree with this thread starter. I suggest that teammoda gives up on F1 now!

The cars looked like they were closer. They did change the tyres!
The beeb coverage wasn't desperate and was astep up.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 11:44 (Ref:2428032)   #8
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
The racing was closer, the TV coverage was an improvement and it didn't look cheap at all.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2428035)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Yes!! weird looking cars...they looked like miniature F1s...and the race was mostly processional
I thought there was a perfectly respectable amount of passing and general "raciness" when the cars were close to each other. Cars 5 seconds apart are obviously going to follow each other to no effect, but that is just the way it is. It seemed to me, whenever cars were followingly closely to each other, there was a decent chance somebody would be having a go soon (and with a pretty respectable chance of making it stick).

There were lots of different teams challenging each other for the various positions.

Is the idea that there has to be overtaking for the lead every single lap, and a different three drivers on the podium each race?
Old 29 Mar 2009, 11:48 (Ref:2428038)   #10
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
F1 has never been a feast of overtaking and never will be. What's important is that the cars can at least get close enough to each other to attempt a move. On today's evidence this had been acheived and I'm delighted.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2428040)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Sort of Merc 'S' class on the outside with Kia Picanto interior.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 11:52 (Ref:2428041)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I am trying to not let myself get too hopeful, since Melbourne can often produce good action, but it does seem like the OWG may have got it right.

It may have achieved in one go that which the FIA has failed to achieve for goodness knows how many years. The people with the know-how were the best to use to get the desired result: who would've thunkit?
Old 29 Mar 2009, 11:54 (Ref:2428044)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It looked quite expensive when Vettel and Kubica hit the wall.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 11:55 (Ref:2428046)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Yes,the cars were able to follow each other quite closely even on fast corners,and the opportunity to overtake was always there.The difference between the tyres was also very noticeable.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2428050)   #15
Ogami musashi
Racer

Ogami musashi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Same.
We'll have to wait a bit to judge but compared to last years the cars seemed to be able to follow each other, as noted by marbot, even in the fast corners.

Also i note that despite the braking distance felt considerably (according to brembo it went from 74m to brake into turn 11 in 2008 to just 33m this year!) there were a lot of braking overtakings (probably due to longer slipstream and more grip in turn from the slicks).

Now hope it won't be ruined by diffuser's developments throughout the year.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2428051)   #16
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by teammoda View Post
I know the cost cutting is a plus for the sport...
That's the idea of it, even though not everyone agrees. See Budget Cap thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114214

Quote:
...the coverage from the BBC was desperate,on Saturday Coulthard and Jordan were mainly interested in slagging each other off! and the Sunday coverage could only be described as amateur...
I thought it was pretty good actually. A view I made in the BBC Coverage Thoughts thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114481

Quote:
...It has to be said that the front wings kill the cars appearance and frankly did little to bunch the field up...
I can't say I like them either. Perhaps you should put your point across in the Front Wings thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112418

Quote:
... FIA its all in the tyres,always was always will be!!
Might be worth mentioning in the Tyres 2009 thread then: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=tyres

Quote:
As usual the drivers gave us the entertainment that will always be there...
Agreed. Feel free to discuss today's race thread here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114393

Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 29 Mar 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2428075)   #17
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rules weren't intended to bunch the field up - just to try and enable them to run closer when one was faster. I'd like to hear the drivers opinions on this (Brundle said in the BBC commentary he hadn't heard anything to say either way)- but I don't think it will become clear for a few races.

As Super Hans said - Formula One isn't an overtaking fest, same as football isn't a goal fest. There needs to be a balance of the cars being able to get close to each other and still maintaining the skill in overtaking, so you know how much effort has gone into an overtaking move.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2428094)   #18
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
It looked quite expensive when Vettel and Kubica hit the wall.
:-)

But yeah, I disagree with the OP entirely. The whole thing was a big improvement on last year. Well, except for Piquets driving.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 14:30 (Ref:2428139)   #19
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didn't find the BBC commentary as intrusive as with ITV - and I certainly didn't miss the commercial breaks!

I don't like the appearance of front wings, but I thought the racing was better - KERS certainly mixing things up a bit.

Who knows what the rest of the season will bring - but I will certainly be watching to find out.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 14:32 (Ref:2428141)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
teammoda, I have been in touch with your optician and organised an appointment for you for tomorrow afternoon.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2428186)   #21
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it went well and looked good.

Start was good with the kers guys getting in there at the 1st turn, cars could get close and did overtake, the soft tyres went off quick for everyone and the smart guys got the benefit of using them last knowing to run as few laps as possible on them.

All in, positive start but lets give it a few races and revisit.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 16:31 (Ref:2428233)   #22
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogami musashi View Post
Same.
We'll have to wait a bit to judge but compared to last years the cars seemed to be able to follow each other, as noted by marbot, even in the fast corners.

Also i note that despite the braking distance felt considerably (according to brembo it went from 74m to brake into turn 11 in 2008 to just 33m this year!) there were a lot of braking overtakings (probably due to longer slipstream and more grip in turn from the slicks).

Now hope it won't be ruined by diffuser's developments throughout the year.
i agree with this completely. the new rules seem to have worked as intended. but the FIA will have to be careful to prevent aerodynamic development from negating the effects of these rules over the season. perhaps a futher restriction will be necessary for 2010, with some of the refinements which we will see introduced this year getting prevented next year...
Old 2 Apr 2009, 16:07 (Ref:2431562)   #23
teammoda
Racer

teammoda has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie View Post
That's the idea of it, even though not everyone agrees. See Budget Cap thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114214

I thought it was pretty good actually. A view I made in the BBC Coverage Thoughts thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114481

I can't say I like them either. Perhaps you should put your point across in the Front Wings thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112418

Might be worth mentioning in the Tyres 2009 thread then: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=tyres

Agreed. Feel free to discuss today's race thread here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114393

Sorry, couldn't resist
Hey Burnsie you need to get out more If I want to start a thread I will do so.The point I am trying to make is that the cars look like they are cheap radio controlled models going around and there's no need for it.Cost cutting could have been achieved without the cars having to look so stupid,but now we have cost cutting with stupid looking cars and next year we can look forward to the medal deal.Bernie is well and truly killing he's own giant bless him,and I dare say the bizzare race officials decisions are all the little mans work also He's killing it.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 05:44 (Ref:2432037)   #24
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didnt like the front wing - too big compared to the size(width) of the rear wing... Thought the race was exciting though...
Old 3 Apr 2009, 07:27 (Ref:2432078)   #25
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The racing was closer, the TV coverage was an improvement and it didn't look cheap at all.
I agree SH

On the face of it, it looked business as usual.
It didn't look cheap to me.
Maybe savings have been made where you can't see, such as potted salmon paste on the sandwiches instead of lobster etc.