Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Mar 2009, 08:24 (Ref:2428763)   #26
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Didn't they trial that back in 2005?
They did,and it worked.But not for Bridgestone and Ferrari.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 11:13 (Ref:2428892)   #27
thos
Rookie

thos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can they use the Soft more than once?

Any chance of a 3-stopper Sprint on the Soft's?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 11:34 (Ref:2428906)   #28
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
They may say to the teams 'you can use the race distance tyre (red stripe ?) if you want,but otherwise things are the same as last season'.
It's quite difficult to produce a tyre that is both durable and providing a lot of grip. Bridgestone lacks the incentive to produce such a tyre.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 11:44 (Ref:2428913)   #29
parkingjedi
Racer

Bhutan
parkingjedi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the 2 stop strategy has been killed by this supersoft tyre, 3 stops will be petty much par for the course - two long stints on the prime and one short blast on the soft - it appears the end of the race not the start.....
unless, you do a two stop with an insanely heavily fueled long first stop and the rest on the supersoft? Brundle was saying though that the KERS reduces fuel tank space - so that would be the option for KERS-less cars only....more things to think about for race engineers.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 12:42 (Ref:2428956)   #30
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
or cars which dont sacrifice tank space for kers
Old 30 Mar 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2428961)   #31
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thos View Post
Can they use the Soft more than once?

Any chance of a 3-stopper Sprint on the Soft's?
Yes, as long as they use both compounds at least once.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 13:04 (Ref:2428975)   #32
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkingjedi View Post
I think the 2 stop strategy has been killed by this supersoft tyre, 3 stops will be petty much par for the course - two long stints on the prime and one short blast on the soft - it appears the end of the race not the start.....
unless, you do a two stop with an insanely heavily fueled long first stop and the rest on the supersoft? Brundle was saying though that the KERS reduces fuel tank space - so that would be the option for KERS-less cars only....more things to think about for race engineers.
Do you count the start as a stop? A two stop strategy already offers you three stints.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2428977)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is a lamp posts and gaps between issue there. I think parkingjedi is talking about nestop/two stints as thos was earlier in the thread.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 13:24 (Ref:2428992)   #34
parkingjedi
Racer

Bhutan
parkingjedi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oops yep got my words all cocked up - I mean one stop two stints as AA highlighted.

I think that strategy (1 stop/ 2 stints) is gone this season.
The 2 stops/3 stints will be the one they all use.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 13:47 (Ref:2429004)   #35
ThaRobster
Rookie

ThaRobster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It really depends what tyres Bridgestone bring to each round in my view. Dont forget that the "soft" option tyre wont always be this super-soft compound, it will just always be two grades softer than the "hard" compound. If they actually did bring a hard compound tyre, then the "soft" option would in fact be a medium grade compound.

Calling the tyres "soft" and "hard" is confusing in my view, since they change from race to race. The ones with the stripe are the "Softer" tyres and the ones without are the "harder" ones. What compound they actually are will range from super-soft, as this weekend, to "super-hard" or whatever the tyre at the other end of the scale is called.

It isn't inconceivable in my view that the softer tyre will be the main option at some tracks, possibly Monaco, where the relatively low speeds won't degrade the tyre as quickly and grip is at a premium.

Just a thought.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 19:19 (Ref:2429229)   #36
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRobster View Post
It really depends what tyres Bridgestone bring to each round in my view. Dont forget that the "soft" option tyre wont always be this super-soft compound, it will just always be two grades softer than the "hard" compound. If they actually did bring a hard compound tyre, then the "soft" option would in fact be a medium grade compound.

Calling the tyres "soft" and "hard" is confusing in my view, since they change from race to race. The ones with the stripe are the "Softer" tyres and the ones without are the "harder" ones. What compound they actually are will range from super-soft, as this weekend, to "super-hard" or whatever the tyre at the other end of the scale is called.

It isn't inconceivable in my view that the softer tyre will be the main option at some tracks, possibly Monaco, where the relatively low speeds won't degrade the tyre as quickly and grip is at a premium.

Just a thought.
The main cause of tyre degradation is heat generation created by cornering stress, not speed. Monaco and similar 'slow' circuits put a lot of stress into the sidewall by constant changes of direction and constant acceleration and braking. The soft tyres will not be that great at Monaco, fast in practice over one or two laps but not much good as a race tyre.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 20:34 (Ref:2429290)   #37
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
In a couple of races time everyone will figure out when the best time to run these tires is and so everyone will run them together and you won't see the kind of difference in performance like we saw yesterday.
This is exactly it. It will take hardly any time for a consensus to emerge: the teams just have to get used to the degree of difference between the two compounds, which is, as I understand things, going to remain broadly stable from round to round.

Bridgestone should bring three or four compounds, and the teams should be allowed to use any compound at any point. Have no rules about what compounds have to be used or how often.

I think we can safely say that an absolute crapload of tyre-related money has been saved from the in-season testing ban, so I am sure we could have compound variation like this now.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 01:53 (Ref:2430217)   #38
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there are actually 4-5 compounds, and the ones used will depend on the track and typical weather. The change is that this year they brought compounds 2 and 4 (say) to Melbourne instead of compounds 3 and 4. I think it is a good idea, if they are bothering to have different compounds they should have an effect. Last year there often wasn't a great of difference on the option tyre.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 03:46 (Ref:2430259)   #39
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, but bring them all to each race without restrictions is what I meant.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 16:36 (Ref:2430698)   #40
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Ferrari's KERS is causing problems with tyre wear.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/...ferrari-tyres/

Which begs the question: If KERS were to be made more powerful,how long would the tyres last then?
Old 1 Apr 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2430923)   #41
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
The team can always just not utilise the KERS boost so much in the shorter term. In the longer term they will improve their understanding, thus at least improve the situation (maybe even eradictate the problem entirely).

This is exactly why significant rule changes are often so interesting, .

Bridgestone will learn lessons through this year, too: in the event of increasing KERS loads, presumably Bridgestone will work with the teams to identify tyre improvements for coming seasons.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 02:39 (Ref:2431019)   #42
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
Yes, but bring them all to each race without restrictions is what I meant.
I like this idea...
Old 2 Apr 2009, 02:41 (Ref:2431020)   #43
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Ferrari's KERS is causing problems with tyre wear.

Okay then, well sort it Ferrari...