Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 28 May 2001, 21:08 (Ref:98018)   #1
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Huh?

I can't help but notice that the quality of hood mechanismd on many convertibles, such as MX5's, BMW Z3's, TVR's etc etc, is wery poor- they all have a tendancy to get firmly stuck in the closed position- must be really irritating on a nice day!
Maybe it's just me- I can't figure out why people buy a rag top only to drive it closed the whole time
Any thoughts?
Old 28 May 2001, 21:44 (Ref:98047)   #2
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, that it's on a not so nice day that it would be a real problem!

I've never been fortunate enough to own an open car since I disposed of my 1949 Hillman convertible... in 1963...
Old 29 May 2001, 13:21 (Ref:98336)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, no, 'Bottle. You misunderstand.

Convertibles with their hoods up run that way through choice. If the BMW Z3 driver or the owner of the Mazda MX5 tried to lower the hood, not only would it completely ruin his hairdo...

But he might break his fingernail on the switch.

Tim (still picking bugs out of his teeth after an excellent drive in Bluebottle's very open convertible...)
Old 29 May 2001, 14:17 (Ref:98362)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
from my experience of the old's m3 convertible, which has a semi automatic lid (no, it doesn't mean it goes down itself on a nice day), it's a pain in the arse.
it gets stuck in the halfway up/down position, and you have to get out and give it a damn good shove, or start all over again. if you don't use it often, it gets stuck permanently.
AND it makes the car handle badly.

but it's great for posing...
and i have never broken my fingernail whilst pressing the button, or turning the handle.

some of us don't need those girl screens in the back to stop you from having a hair crisis. we drive our cars like men *macho noise*.

my mum's suzuki has a convertible roof. that mechanism is a pain in the bum too. i mean, you actually have to take the roof off, and put it in the garage... it wears a shower cap in summer

Last edited by bella; 29 May 2001 at 14:19.