Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 11 Oct 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1430861)   #1
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Snetterton Redevelopment

big changes planned :

link

Old 11 Oct 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1430876)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thread here already up and running on this.
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75045
Old 12 Oct 2005, 18:02 (Ref:1432071)   #3
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
man, that looks so exiting!
Old 12 Oct 2005, 20:55 (Ref:1432188)   #4
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snetterton without 'Russell' no no no!!
Old 12 Oct 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1432203)   #5
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin
Snetterton without 'Russell' no no no!!
As in the other thread about this !
I for 1 feel russels going is great !
not as good as the fast flick that used to be there
Old 12 Oct 2005, 23:15 (Ref:1432256)   #6
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
Jam35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Wooshy
As in the other thread about this !
I for 1 feel russels going is great !
not as good as the fast flick that used to be there
Pity this will wreck Sear though.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 23:19 (Ref:1432259)   #7
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
acctuley it will be moved to the orginal sear
Old 12 Oct 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1432268)   #8
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
Jam35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Wooshy
acctuley it will be moved to the orginal sear
It may use the original Sear, but in the "original" days, it didn't have a chicane and a hard right before it and a right-left flick after it! Bring back the Norwich Straight/Hairpin (and kill that silly chicane before it gets put in)!
Old 12 Oct 2005, 23:29 (Ref:1432269)   #9
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
point taken, but In retrospect I still think this is a great idea !
Old 13 Oct 2005, 00:11 (Ref:1432286)   #10
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One word:

"ugh"

Ladies and gentlemen, we give you... *drumroll*... "swtichback-hairpin-ring" *audience gasps*

Ok, so the positives are a banked infield corner like Shell Hairpin at Oulton that looks quite good, and a nice medium/high speed left turn onto the straight, but which doesn't look that challenging though.

BUT

Coram loosened?!?!?! Make one of the most challenging corners in the country LESS difficult?!?! Two very tight hairpins (read, probably tightest in the country), although after high speed corners, might be quite interesting under braking, but what are the overtaking chances? And that whole first infield looks to me like a cross between the Merc Arena at Nurby and the Stowe circuit at Silverstone, neither of which is noted for being that inspiring to drive. And we've got rid of Russell at last, hurrah! But hang on, we've stuck another similarly irritating chicane in elsewhere in the lap. And just think of the effect on average speeds...

OK, I'm not sure an awful lot more could have been done given the land available, but in my mind this isn't much of an improvement, certainly not to drive at least. It just seems like a case of lengthening for lengthening's sake. I hope I'm proved wrong...
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 13 Oct 2005, 07:02 (Ref:1432383)   #11
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam35
Bring back the Norwich Straight/Hairpin
If only......!
The staff at Snett tell me they hear this SO often..
But sadly impossible. One of the previous owners of the site foolishly sold the land off to the market company years ago. Hard to recognise the old hairpin area up there now on what is known as Beacon Hill.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 07:07 (Ref:1432385)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crozier74
Coram loosened?!?!?! Make one of the most challenging corners in the country LESS difficult?!?! ...
Should still be quite a challenge though surely as it will be faster, with a much slower corner straight after? Riches should be quicker though, will still need 'big ones' for that and then another huge brake.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1432661)   #13
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks a bit rubbish to me...

I really can't see anything to like about it, a few ridiculous hairpins interupting a few short straights...
Old 13 Oct 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1432670)   #14
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
A few short straights!
Revett will still be a very long straight and the pit straight will effectively be longer, as the new banked left hander at Russell will be set further back then the present hideous chicane. The gentle right hand curve onto the pit straight will be easy flat. One reason teams like to test at Snett is the long straights and the variety of corners. This can only be enhanced by these new plans surely?
Old 13 Oct 2005, 12:57 (Ref:1432684)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was refering to the particularly nasty looking section following the first corner mainly. It 'interupts' in the sense that it takes out the straight between there and sear altogether. Essentially you've now got 6 consecutive slow corners and some tight esses leading onto a shorter Revett straight. If anything it detracts for the variety of the current circuit.

'Mickey Mouse' comes to mind...
Old 13 Oct 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1432852)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That looks like a good layout, much better than the current one although I expect people will disagree.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 16:27 (Ref:1432855)   #17
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now, i dont have a very big knowledge of Snetterton, but from what i see, that new layout is very mickey mouse, compared to the old one.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1432860)   #18
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The driver reaction to it has been quite favourable.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 23:08 (Ref:1433171)   #19
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nooo... it's going to be Tilked
Old 13 Oct 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1433176)   #20
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It has been designed by Jonathan Palmer himself. The new banked corner at Russell will make for a great overtaking opportunity at Riches, which will be much more of a challenge with a hairpin immediately after it.
Old 13 Oct 2005, 23:22 (Ref:1433177)   #21
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hodgkinson
nooo... it's going to be Tilked
Seeing as The Tilkinator has nothing to do with this project.....no.

Anyway, I have my doubts about the layout (partly that silly-looking chicane in the near Sear), but we won't know until we see races on the new layout.

EDIT: Got beaten to the first part of my post by Ian...*tries to shake fist in the air menacingly, but instead fails and looks even worse*
Old 16 Oct 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1435416)   #22
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Snetterton make-over is really crap. It takes away the essence of the track, IMHO. I'm not too familiar with the circuit, but I quite liked it on TOCA Touring Car 2. The chicane before start-finish straight was/is horrible, though.

Here's my view on the revamped track. I tried to keep the spirit of the track intact: long(ish) straights and fast corners. Ofcourse, in order to lengthen it, I had to add a hairpin-like turn somewhere. However, the multiple slow corners on Palmer's proposal are gone. Instead I inserted a Parabolica-like turn.

Blue is the original track, red the Palmer proposal and yellow-grey my view. Tell me what you think!
Old 16 Oct 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1435482)   #23
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually think that that edit is much worse than Palmer's proposals. You have destroyed Riches, one of the best corners in British racing, and while I do prefer the run to T2 left un-interrupted you have then halved the length of the Revett Straight, the longest straight in the UK & one of the circuit's main selling points. The top chicane is also just right how it is and needs no changing. I do like your new Russell Chicane though, much more challenging than the old one.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 17 Oct 2005, 06:51 (Ref:1435718)   #24
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the reply, AW. As I said, I'm not too familiar with Snetterton, so I'm sorry if I ruined anything.

So the trouble with making changes to snetterton is that most corners are loved by fans (and drivers as well) apart from the hideous Russell chicane. So why not make a change there, add an infield bit and then return to the main straight?
Old 17 Oct 2005, 09:21 (Ref:1435788)   #25
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustigson
So the trouble with making changes to snetterton is that most corners are loved by fans (and drivers as well) apart from the hideous Russell chicane. So why not make a change there, add an infield bit and then return to the main straight?
I think that's exactly what JP has tried to do. Russell has completely changed (and rightly so), and an infield bit has been added - due to the layout of Snett that's really the only place it can go (try and put it next to the Revett and that ruins the straight; inside of Bombhole/Coram will ensure those corners change different; and there's nowhere for one to go on the Senna (Start/Finish) straight).
As a result of these infield bit there's needed to be the change to Sear, but that's relatively minorin comparison. The other big advantage is the infield sector doesn't need to be used, and the run between Riches and Sear can be maintained.

So I really don't think that the spirit of the track has been taken away by JP's modifications - there's still the long straights and fast corners (Riches will of course be super quick with the change to Russell) with the majority of the circuit unchanged, I'm looking forward to it