Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 27 Apr 2012, 06:11 (Ref:3066017)   #1
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lack of Nighttime Broadcasting

Now, this might be a bit of a random question, but whatever.

Why on earth do they switch of the TV cameras from the Mulsanne, lead up to Indianapolis/Arnage and Porsche curves when it starts to gets dark?

The majority of the night is then "wasted" on pit lane and other well-lid places near the start-finish straight, ending at Tetre Rouge. We do get the occassional 15-second glimpse of Mulsanne every now and then, through random CCTV cameras (I don't count the onboards), but that's hardly satisfying enough.

I can sort of see the reason on wednesday/thursday qualifying sessions when they have to make the roads public soon again, but the race?? And don't can't say that the reason is the lack of lighting because that's not an excuse on modern day world and camera equipment... there are many other circuits with far less light posts than LM. Plus in the past when the race actually was not covered as well by TV as now, they used to have far more night time shots from the other side of the track.

Is it just that they wanna give cameramen some rest? Well boohoo, take more shifts then. Flag marshals and others stay...
Old 27 Apr 2012, 07:05 (Ref:3066022)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
They dont have cameras for Wednesday , they usually set them up on Wednesday .
Old 27 Apr 2012, 07:31 (Ref:3066030)   #3
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
They dont have cameras for Wednesday , they usually set them up on Wednesday .
O.K but the day in question here is really the Saturday (night).
Old 27 Apr 2012, 08:41 (Ref:3066047)   #4
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really like seeing the cars in darkness; it's always magic. I'd like to see more coverage like Chiana. More camerapeople shifts sounds good to me; and I always like seeing the on boards as well in pitch black.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 08:45 (Ref:3066049)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
arnarge at night is a magic place and would prefer less flood lights so that the glow of the brake disc's show up one of the great sights of Le Mans
Old 27 Apr 2012, 09:05 (Ref:3066052)   #6
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe I'm missing the point of this but surely the darkness is what make Le Mans so magical and almost unique. If we like 'floodlit' racing, we can always watch the Singapore Grand Prix. I personally think that the lighting has removed much of the magic of Tetre Rouge.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 09:11 (Ref:3066054)   #7
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
Maybe I'm missing the point of this but surely the darkness is what make Le Mans so magical and almost unique. If we like 'floodlit' racing, we can always watch the Singapore Grand Prix. I personally think that the lighting has removed much of the magic of Tetre Rouge.
Perhaps my opening post was poorly written or something but the intention of this thread was not to discuss what we think of the darkness itself (which by the way I think is not what it used to be at Le Mans, ie too many floodlights around the circuit) but the TV production. No cameras at mostly non-lit areas like Mulsanne/indianapolis/Arnage/Curves during the night = Why??!!
Old 27 Apr 2012, 09:39 (Ref:3066064)   #8
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sorry that I obviously had misunderstood the direction of your original post and I apologise.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 10:13 (Ref:3066084)   #9
Deleted
Veteran

No reason to be sorry, I guess the thread title is a bit misleading
Old 27 Apr 2012, 11:26 (Ref:3066110)   #10
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
Spot on comment
Old 27 Apr 2012, 13:41 (Ref:3066154)   #11
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Completely agree that they should have camera men on at all times. Just rotate them. It's only the biggest race of the year for the ACO. Maybe the thinking is to make it much easier for the editors in the night who, to be honest, won't have much idea what they are looking at.

It would eliminate a lot of the mysterious incidents that we always get during the night.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3066231)   #12
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Two things:
1. In 2004, my first Le Mans, I remember the camera at poste 60bis (driver's left at the second chicane) working during my midnight to 3 am shift at 61. I haven't seen it the last two years.

2. I have noticed a trend toward decreasing the lights in the turns. In 2004 my night shift was closer to a suntan session, while in 2011 only the turn-in and exit were lit. Aside from the fact that the turn-in lights are aimed so 61's lead station is blinded (which is okay, since we started wearing sunglasses for the P1 LEDs anyway) I like it better with much of the chicane in at least half-dark. Like GT6 said, the glowing brake discs are lovely.

I think we should get Rooftop Ray to come over from the US -- he did great night camera work at the Daytona 24.

keke
Old 29 Apr 2012, 13:45 (Ref:3066965)   #13
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
In a way or another it probably comes to money... camera men won't work for free.

In old race reviews you can definitelly see that there are more cameras during the night. Take a look at some random 98-99 race video from Youtube.

Another thing is that obviously the only thing you can see in the really dark sections are the giant lights of the cars, but it's still better than pitlane-esses-pitlane-esses-pitlane...
Old 29 Apr 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3066997)   #14
Deleted
Veteran

Indeed if for example you take a look at Speedvision's '99 broadcast, the night coverage from Mulsanne etc is just fantastic!

In any case it's hardly the darkest circuit on Earth anymore, even outside the 'main' floodlight areas. So that's no excuse. Portimao 2009/2010 and Hungaroring 2010 LMS races, now those were properly dark! And well shot
Old 29 Apr 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3067178)   #15
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
In a way or another it probably comes to money... camera men won't work for free.
They could stick me on the Mulsanne for a few hours in the night for free!
Old 30 Apr 2012, 10:54 (Ref:3067373)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
No reason to be sorry, I guess the thread title is a bit misleading

I've changed it.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 11:06 (Ref:3067381)   #17
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Thank you - We're just so polite to each other on here....... just like P*s**n*h*eads
Old 30 Apr 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3067404)   #18
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Depends a little on which forum you are on over there. Most forums I visit seem to be rather ok, but indeed there are some who are less friendly than here.
Old 6 May 2012, 09:15 (Ref:3070153)   #19
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Indeed. You'd need a completely different set of cameramen to comply with French employment law. And they would probably be charging quadruple time, given that it's a) weekend, and b) overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
They could stick me on the Mulsanne for a few hours in the night for free!
The unions wouldn't be happy with that. You'd probably find them calling the entire technical crew out on strike at the merest suggestion.
Old 6 May 2012, 09:54 (Ref:3070172)   #20
Deleted
Veteran

Err... they've already got dozens of well-paid cameramen working on the other side of the track and pitlane during the night, just send a couple of guys there. ACO won't go bust because of that

Or if that proves to be so very very hard for french, just leave a couple of static cameras standing there in key areas such as Mulsanne/Indy/Arnage/Curves, sort of like the CCTV ones right now but better positioned and with better quality
Old 6 May 2012, 10:46 (Ref:3070185)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree with you, it really ought to be done, but of course, being there watching the event, I'm obviously not so fussed! I think back to the 80s when I first started going and all the cameras were switched off during the night then too.
Old 6 May 2012, 17:20 (Ref:3070289)   #22
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I agree with you, it really ought to be done, but of course, being there watching the event, I'm obviously not so fussed! I think back to the 80s when I first started going and all the cameras were switched off during the night then too.
Think I overall agree with the tenor of this, but in the wider context is that where ACO cash should be spent? From my perspective, I've never felt that racing in the dark makes for fantastic footage, especially in the absence of significant floodlighting - as such I'm perhaps a little less agitated about the reduced camera activity overnight.

It is striking how far we've come though - if you look at the highlights programmes from 1981 and earlier there's the distinct impression that there was one camera that shuttled its way around the track over the course of the 24 hours and it was purely luck rather than good management that ensured the capturing of anything of any substance.