Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 26 Mar 2012, 11:15 (Ref:3048645)   #1
wilma
Rookie

England
Hemel Hempstead, Herts
wilma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ERC at Lydden Hill

after enjoying my first Rallycross experience at Lydden Hill at the weekend, i'm planning my second trip for the bank hoiliday weekend. I notice the Lydden Hill website has been updated and is much more informative and easier to negotiate, seems it'll cost me £35 in total for a 2 day ticket plus camping.

just wondered if anyone could tell me about how the ERC would compare to the BRC in terms of number of races, different classes, etc. How will the races be divided over the 2 days? and most importantly, how is the camping experience there?
Old 26 Mar 2012, 11:40 (Ref:3048669)   #2
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ERC is rather different. 3 classes. Supercar, basically a Super1600 class and a sort of hoth potch supernational category where the cars have to be rwd and 2 litre.

Some of the classes look a bit lost round Lydden, but most are good and promote close racing, but be warned if the weather is nice it will be busy and they dont start racing til late on the Sunday because of noise restrictions.

But I have booked up, booked tickets and making a weekend of it this time.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 11:59 (Ref:3048693)   #3
Sarge
Rookie

England
Knaresborough, North Yorkshire
Sarge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Based on recent years at Lydden, and most ERC events generally, there will be very good entries in Supercar and Super1600 with between 30 and 40 cars for each
Old 26 Mar 2012, 12:01 (Ref:3048695)   #4
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilma
just wondered if anyone could tell me about how the ERC would compare to the BRC in terms of number of races, different classes, etc.
The ERC has just three classes: Supercars (2.0L, 4wd), Touring Cars (2.0L, rwd) and S1600 (1.6L, fwd).

Because of the tighter regulations you tend to find that there is a less eclectic mixture of cars in the ERC when compared to the BRC but, as the budgets are higher, the cars fielded tend to be more modern and better prepared (don't take that as a dig against any of the British contenders, just that the majority of ERC contenders have deeper pockets )

The RX150s and Swifts have put on little demo races in the past, but thats about it in terms of other classes. I would say overall you might get slightly less races in total, but the grids are likely to be full for all of those and the entry list is normally of a large enough size to warrant multiple finals.
Quote:
How will the races be divided over the 2 days?
If I recall correctly the racing on the Sunday consists of practices in the late morning and early afternoon, with the first set of heats being run towards the end of the afternoon.

On the Monday you will then get the second and third round of heats and the all important finals.
Quote:
and most importantly, how is the camping experience there?
Pass on that one. Never camped as I'm only an hour or so away in the car!
Old 26 Mar 2012, 12:06 (Ref:3048699)   #5
ClintonRX
Rookie

England
Nr Ashford
ClintonRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Wilma. There is a very useful internet site called Rallycross.com. They cover a lot of the Rallycross in Europe as well as what is going on over the pond. They have news articles to read and plenty of Stats, ie results and championship standings going back over many years. They also have a Preview page of up coming events, where they give the web site of the circuit/club organising the event, as well as an entry list and time schedule for what will happen on the racing days. In a nutshell the ERC events tend to have practice and one set of heats on the first day, then the second & third set of heats + finals on the second day. I appreciate there is an expense involved, but last year my son (19y) and I ventured onto the continent to see some of the other ERC rounds. Prior to doing this I managed to have a telephone conversation with Amy Doran (MD [?] at Lydden) and she very kindly gave me the lo-down on some of the European Circuits. Based on her advice I scrapped together the funds to go to Holjes in Sweden at the beginning of July'11. We only went on the Sunday and it was most certainly the experience of a lifetime. The location, the atmosphere, the racing, the weather (Saturday was very wet, but on the Sunday it was glorious), the commentators, the spectators, etc, etc. One of those days I will never forget. I hope you get as much fun from following Rallycross as it has given me over the years.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 13:00 (Ref:3048754)   #6
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we have camped there for the last two years and the experience was decent both times. First year was a bit better as Rockstar had put a bit of money into the night time entertainment with a beer tent with music and a few Xboxes with Dirt 2 to play on (as it was Tanner's first time over). Last year it was pretty much dead after 9pm. But in terms of facilities, space to pitch a tent and park, it was decent.

As CitroenRX suggests, go have a look at rallycross.com and the previews section for the 2011 round http://www.rallycross.com/preview/11...01entries.html for a taste of what's on offer in terms of the entries. With it being a BRC SuperCar round this year, expect to see more British entries.

If you want to see more rallycross cars than you can shake a stick at, then get to France this year http://www.rallycross.com/preview/11...03entries.html - we'll be there.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 14:07 (Ref:3048810)   #7
bobster55
Rookie

Scotland
wales
bobster55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know if camping is available on the sat night as its a bit far for us to go on sun morning
Old 26 Mar 2012, 14:17 (Ref:3048817)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'd guess so (probably best to confirm with the circuit though). Don't forget that there won't be anything on track Sunday morning due to the noise restrictions so you don't need to be there at the crack of dawn.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 14:43 (Ref:3048825)   #9
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
If you want to see more rallycross cars than you can shake a stick at, then get to France this year http://www.rallycross.com/preview/11...03entries.html - we'll be there.
Off topic: how easy is Essay to get to?
Old 26 Mar 2012, 14:58 (Ref:3048837)   #10
Hickey1
Racer

England
Maidstone, Kent
Hickey1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Essay is about 3 1/2 hours from Calais and is a fairly straight forward run down to Rouen and out the other side heading due south west towards Alencon.

This year's ERC event is at Dreux, which will follow the same route to Rouen and then head south through Evreux. Should be a little bit shorter.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 15:24 (Ref:3048852)   #11
paul1982
Racer

paul1982 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Biggelt field you have to go to France best track And atmosphere defenitly sweden. I did Many erc rounds. 20x Holland, 15x belgium, 8x germany, 7x France, 5x Czech rep., 3x England, 3x sweden. This year Will be England , France, norway, sweden, belgium, Holland And germany.

So if i can help some one with questions let me know
Old 26 Mar 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3048890)   #12
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
From Croydon, you might want to consider Portsmouth to Le Harve or Newhaven to Dieppe, when heading for Essay. Longer ferry journeys and they are less frequent, but cuts out some of the driving in France.

Essay for the opening round of the French, is two weeks before the ERC at Dreux

There is a motorway, which is toll in places, but as you are heading towards Le Mans, thats signed posted on most of their versions of A and B roads. Head for SEES, then ESSAY
Old 26 Mar 2012, 17:00 (Ref:3048902)   #13
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Many thanks for the info Hickey1 and Stephen H, really want to get to a European event (or two), just gathering info at the moment.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 17:33 (Ref:3048921)   #14
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to make it clear Essay on the weekend of 14,15th April is the first round of the French championship, 5 well supported classes including supercars, super 1600 plus 2 of their own classes and the Logan cup, excellent circuit and atmosphere. The French ERC round is 2 weeks later at Dreux, the first time the ERC has visited the circuit but should get a good entry as France has a strong supercar catagory and an even stronger super 1600 class.

Back to Lydden in the past camping has not been permitted on the Monday night after the event which I know has caught out a few european visitors who were not getting a ferry until Tuesday.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 18:30 (Ref:3048950)   #15
ClintonRX
Rookie

England
Nr Ashford
ClintonRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve. Been trying to respond to your PM this afternoon. Not sure i have had any success? Please let me know, thanks.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 07:56 (Ref:3049211)   #16
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonRX View Post
Steve. Been trying to respond to your PM this afternoon. Not sure i have had any success? Please let me know, thanks.
I got them, just replying now!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 11:31 (Ref:3049334)   #17
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Please forgive the double post, but I see a provisional entry list is now up on ERC24.com:

http://www.erc24.com/db/newlive/org_...012_124741.htm

25 Supercars
16 Touring Cars
27 Super 1600
Old 27 Mar 2012, 12:11 (Ref:3049356)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting that Munnich is not in the supercar? Has hesold it then?
Old 27 Mar 2012, 12:19 (Ref:3049360)   #19
bigdick1977
Racer

England
Swindon
bigdick1977 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen somewhere that the Fabia was being shipped to the USA and he had a super 1600 to use in Europe this year.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 12:20 (Ref:3049361)   #20
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Interesting that Munnich is not in the supercar? Has hesold it then?
I thought they had stripped it down for the A3 Project which is still on the go, that's why I think he is in the super 1600...
Old 27 Mar 2012, 12:25 (Ref:3049365)   #21
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good entry list although always wished more Brits would come out in SuperCars.

One question re homologation. I thought when Tony Bardy ran Evans' Astra it was a 'farewell tour' because the car was out of homologation. However, I see the other Astra on the entry list. So does that mean Evans' Astra is still eligible?

Mark
Old 27 Mar 2012, 12:26 (Ref:3049366)   #22
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We all know the Scandanavian events are awesome but if you can visit the French Round be it Erc or Frc they know how to enjoy there Rallycross. And closer for some of us than Croft, Essay is fantastic track looking forward to visiting Dreux. Looks to be tight twisty track bursts of power and slowish corners.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 12:33 (Ref:3049376)   #23
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Good entry list so far. Maybe see one or two more Brits there, such as Andy Knowles or Russ Simpson in the Super1600. Shame that Godfrey's SuperCar is going to waste and it would appear that Pat Doran is borrowing Harris's C4?

Good to see who is entering after all the speculation, but hope that Holte can get out there and that Enerberg enters in the Touring Cars.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 12:50 (Ref:3049390)   #24
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I doubt Sachweh ius gonna be there, he is one of those like Minnikhanov who enters loads of rounds but never turns up.

Brits wise I aimgine most cant find homologation or dont have international licences perhaps
Old 27 Mar 2012, 12:56 (Ref:3049394)   #25
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Good point about the licences, Chunder. I was thinking about the homologation, and would expect that Andy Grant and Steve Mundy would be ok to enter. As would Mad Mark and someone in Tracey's Xsara.

Though as this is also a British Round (for the SuperCars), does that get around the licences problem? "I'm not competing in the ERC, I am competing in the BRC".