Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 1 Sep 2001, 23:06 (Ref:139863)   #1
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
New number plate system in UK

For those of you that didn't know or hadn't realised, today(1st September), was a landmark day, as it is the first time in nearly 20 yrs that the plate system has change, here in the UK.

The new number system looks like this:
SG51 AAA

The number plate is split up into three sections, SG, 51, and AAA.
Each section means something different.

The first part, SG denotes where the car was registered. For example, S means that it was registered in Scotland, and the G means it was registered in the Glasgow office. In London the first letter would be a L, Birmingham a B etc.

The number 51 denotes what time of the year the car was registered. 51 means the car was registered between September 1st 2001, and February 28th/29th 2002. This will be 02 between March 1st 2002, and August 31st 2002. Between September and March 2002/2003 this will be 52, and then 03 between March and August 2003. This will continue with the 5 and 0 at the start of each number until 2011, when they will change to 6 and 1.

The AAA part are three randomly selected lettere, chosen by the DVLA's daddy computer.

The system has been calculated to last 50 years - longer than any other prefix system. Are they easy to understand? I personally think they are because you can tell where the car comes from by looking at the first letter, compared to the old system.

Last edited by touringlegend; 1 Sep 2001 at 23:13.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 22:47 (Ref:140335)   #2
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

personally i think its b***ox.

how confusing is the date part ???

and the whole system wont work because you will still be able to buy custom plates which spell (or try to spell) words etc.

Old 2 Sep 2001, 22:55 (Ref:140340)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Private plates have been on sale for months, the DVLA wouldn't wan't to do away with that, sice 1989, Private plates have made them about £600million!

The date part is so so. The old system, you would have to knwo what letter each year stood fro, the new system, is similar to the year, ie 51 - 2001, 52 - 2002.

So what private plates can we make up?
Vauxhall advertise their cars with this:
DE 51 RED - Desired

Any more?
Old 2 Sep 2001, 22:58 (Ref:140343)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
You used to be able to tell where a car was registered with the old system by looking at the second and third letters of the group of three. For example A123ABC or ABC123A

Don't ask me which letters refer to which area, but I know UD and BH were local to me (South Bucks). That at least was there theory until the 70's (I think) when the licencing became centralised and certain busy area started using codes that weren't originally allocated to them.

Don't Germany do something similar where the middle set of letters denotes the city.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 22:58 (Ref:140344)   #5
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
i saw on TV they had several such as
BO 55 MAN
Old 2 Sep 2001, 23:10 (Ref:140348)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I think both systems was and will be easy enough to understand, it just depends what system you were brought up on. I've never really understood the last two letters in the old numberplate, but my dad could be driving along teh road and say, "that cars from so and so a place"

Funnily enough the Hyundau Accent WRC's have registrations from my area, something like X1 MSD
Old 2 Sep 2001, 23:22 (Ref:140353)   #7
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
maybe they designed the system to have the most private plate combinations
Old 2 Sep 2001, 23:29 (Ref:140356)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Got it in one woodyracing!
Money=God for the DVLA
Old 3 Sep 2001, 11:54 (Ref:140548)   #9
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually this is something NSW, Australia will have to come up with within a year or two. At the moment we have a AAA-111 system, with it just continuing on and on. In fact, most states have this with different colours to easily differentiate (the odd ones out being QLD (111-AAA), Tassie (AA-1111) and WA (1AAA-111) though WA is quite recently changed from 1AA-111).

We also have "premium" plates which are thinner and their standard run is AAA-11A and black on white, with normal plates being black on yellow. Added to this are white on black personalised plates (not sure if they still make them) and special runs of different plates, such as Olympic and Bicentennial as well as club car plates which can be almost any choice of colours. A VW club has the best of black on dark blue as it doesn't show up in photos.

So what should we have?
Old 3 Sep 2001, 12:16 (Ref:140563)   #10
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
we were allowed nice itallics and fonts and shadowing etc untill they found out speed cameras cant read them :\
Old 3 Sep 2001, 21:45 (Ref:140840)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i saw my first new plate today on the m62, and my second on the a14

cambridge has to take peterborough's letters, which we're not happy about. and apparently, manchester city fans aren't amused about their code being mu....
Old 3 Sep 2001, 22:54 (Ref:140868)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I have seen four so far, two on VW Beetle's, and two on Fiat Puntos.

Man City fans will not be happy indeed...
Old 5 Sep 2001, 10:46 (Ref:141659)   #13
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a Man City fan I think it is disgraceful. Actually I'm not too bothered cos it ain't on my number plates
Old 8 Sep 2001, 11:32 (Ref:143633)   #14
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The idea of using letters or digits to show where the car was registered works well in France, but in UK it doesn't because they are registered all over the place. My Dad's car was registered somewhere up North and my Mum's in London.
Old 8 Sep 2001, 12:44 (Ref:143653)   #15
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
cambridge has to take peterborough's letters, which we're not happy about.
Haha! That is cos we are better than u