Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 6 Jun 2009, 22:28 (Ref:2476699)   #1
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Danny_GT2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Youngster

hey I'm new here & I'm 15, 16 this August! I'm currently the youngest member of the F1 forum I post in (I won't post link as I don't want to be banned for spamming) & currently doing exams, luckily only 1 exam after Le Mans & tis 2 days after so a nice lie in!

Back on topic, I was thinking about a pretty fast, decent car when I hit 17! I'm not interested in 1.2 Civic's & Glanza's with fake turbo exhausts & 2 tonnes of plastic, a pretty fast car! I was thinking of a Mk. 5 Golf GTi, pretty decent power, only 10 less than the Mk. 6 & probably just as fun, the previous Civic or a new Integra Type R, difficult to find Integra's cos they're special imports! So any petrolheads here recommend a decent fast car to kick my driving career off??
Old 6 Jun 2009, 23:24 (Ref:2476713)   #2
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You need to drop your expectations insurance for a 17 year old on a integra type r/ civic type r would be crazy. My first year driving a rover 200 1.4 it was £1400 for insurance and this was the cheapest quote i could get. so a car with more power, more modern would be even more expensive.

Anyway good luck!
Old 10 Jun 2009, 17:38 (Ref:2479415)   #3
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As previous reply, good luck insuring just about anything, don't want to put a downer on it but being realistic. Go for something small with reasonable engine, e.g. 1.4 Seat Ibiza, Vauxhall Corsa, Pug 207. These will all be nippy enuf for you to get used to and good fun, get a year or two no claims bonus then work your way up the ladder. Enjoy
Old 11 Jun 2009, 00:58 (Ref:2479734)   #4
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good luck with trying to get insurance on anything with a 1.6 or bigger engine if its a petrol, because you wont, plus as well, and dont take it the wrong way, learning to drive and having something as fast as an Integra type R, Civic Type R, Golf GTI MK.5 as your first car isnt a good idea, ive pranged my car once and only once and it was in the first 2 months of me passing my test, buy a bit of a **** heap as your first, learn in that, keep the rest of the cash in the bank and when you're insurance has dropped and with a bit more driving experience you can bag something along the line's of what you've put in your post.
Personally i would love an Integra Type-R or a Civic Type-R, its just a shame i cant afford one and probably wont be able to for a very long time, do what you feel is best really.
Old 12 Jun 2009, 20:43 (Ref:2481249)   #5
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

if you want something that isn't boring.... get a mini!
(don't expect to be able to drive in the wet though)
Old 7 Aug 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2517405)   #6
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure you will be a good driver once you've passed your test, and I don't want to appear patronising, but the fact is you WILL be inexperienced, and inexperienced drivers in powerful cars are not a good mix. Get something smaller (can still be fun!) and get a feel for what you can do and what you can't do in that. Once you've got a few miles (and years) under your belt then go for it! I'm sorry to sound like a dad but it breaks my heart when I read in the paper about a teenager in a VXR who's met an untimely end against a tree on a damp road.

I hope you take this in the spirit with which it's offered - good luck and take care!
Old 7 Aug 2009, 21:27 (Ref:2517573)   #7
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk View Post
I'm sure you will be a good driver once you've passed your test, and I don't want to appear patronising, but the fact is you WILL be inexperienced, and inexperienced drivers in powerful cars are not a good mix. Get something smaller (can still be fun!) and get a feel for what you can do and what you can't do in that. Once you've got a few miles (and years) under your belt then go for it! I'm sorry to sound like a dad but it breaks my heart when I read in the paper about a teenager in a VXR who's met an untimely end against a tree on a damp road.

I hope you take this in the spirit with which it's offered - good luck and take care!
AND dont take it to Spain in the first week...
Old 7 Aug 2009, 22:45 (Ref:2517605)   #8
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
AND dont take it to Spain in the first week...
Haha definitely not!!
Old 9 Aug 2009, 16:48 (Ref:2518386)   #9
AshMcD
Rookie

AshMcD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first car, aged 19...

3 year old VW Polo 1.0E. Insurance group 2. W reg (Mk 5 6n2)

Pretty much the slowest car on the road.

Cheapest insurance after phoning 27 million companies?

£1364.

EDIT: I took the liberty of doing a quote for you. The cheapest on confused was Asda. Not much at £19,702.32. Don't forget legal cover at £22.50!

In any case, if you've apparently got the 10k you would need to buy and run that car minimum. Why not spend 3k on a car and insurance and spend the rest on a tin top and race it in a series.
Old 9 Aug 2009, 21:53 (Ref:2518503)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
My insurance broker told me that loads of youngsters run about without insurance as the fine is cheaper than the premium. We all know the law is an ass so nothing new there then !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Aug 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2518512)   #11
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Myn when i first passed driving a 5 yr old 1.2 8v Punto (gp 3) was 1700 quid.
Old 9 Aug 2009, 22:27 (Ref:2518513)   #12
Frailloop
Rookie

Frailloop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Take it easy! Plently of time to get something bigger/better/faster. Please don't that offence, but all my friends who's first car was larger than 1L wrote it off in the first year, one wrote 5 off! 1 wrote themself off.

Now to my daughter:-
After much looking. Counting, and recounting the pennys my 'youngest' (at 19!) has ended up with a little, old, micra. Fully comp under £900! Not quite 1L, but close. Having passed on her first try.

As we both marshal she has watched dozens of those who should know better throw their toys into wild spins, the gravel, tyrewall, concrete wall, other vehicles. She has seen one poor sod get caught in someone elses accident and that ended with a multiple roll and trashed car!

She understood very quickly that passing her test did not mean she could drive well, or handle more power, even if she could afford to put it on the road.

Now she is saving for a track day and an instuctor. In the meantime enjoying just driving herself about.