Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 10 Aug 2009, 07:45 (Ref:2518616)   #1
TransEuropa2010
Rookie

TransEuropa2010 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking for advice on Europe trip!

Hello good folk or Ten Tenths. I've often browsed through the lovely pages of Ten Tenths but never really felt the need to post much, but knowing what a knowledgable bunch you all are I thought I'd ask for some advice!

I'm currently planning a small road trip for next summer. Essentially the aim is to drive too, and through most European Capital cities with some exceptions for safety/logistical reasons.

I'm hoping to raise a bit of money for charity in the bargain too which is nice! (Nothing donated will go towards anything but charity, it will all be funded by me).

Any hoo, that being the case I was wondering if anyone might fancy giving me some advice.

I don't have a car for this yet so I'm looking for suggestions of a good reliable car. Of course it will have a thorough overhall before setting off and the car has to be less than £3,000 and given the mileage, hopefully quite comfortable! I've got my own ideas but hopefully more objective views never harmed anything!

Any suggestions as to what kinds of spare parts I should be carrying too would also be helpful.

At the moment, plans are for a full service, new shocks/springs/bushes. New tyres and carrying two spare tyres.

If anyone is interested, the route is here

http://yfrog.com/2ieurouteg

If you have any advice or good look messages (I'll need it!) please reply here or you can drop me an email if you so wish at transeurpa2010@live.co.uk.

Many thanks indeed!

Mental person.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 09:41 (Ref:2518667)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
As for buying a car, go for something that is very common as bits will be cheap and readily available. Also if possible buy one with a "safe engine" that won't ding the valves if you have a cam belt failure.
This will probably mean a car without any "street cred" an older 8 valve Cavalier comes to mind , you can pick them up for peanuts and the hatchback has loads of room and will go on virtually forever without any problems and are easy to work on.
As for spares, whatever you take its sods law you won't take what you want. so just some spare bulbs, remembering that on some cars they are a swine to change especially headlights so check that out whatever you buy.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 10 Aug 2009, 10:07 (Ref:2518685)   #3
TransEuropa2010
Rookie

TransEuropa2010 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks very much for the advice!

As for street cred, I really couldn't care less about that to be honest!

The Cav sounds like a good shout, would be a bit worried about reliability but I think that's all in the mind really, any car can go wrong and some older cars are solid as a rock.

And plus, I could pretend I was John Cleland! .

Thank you, very much appreciated indeed
Old 10 Aug 2009, 10:33 (Ref:2518698)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Cheers but I'm sure that there will be others that come up with other ideas but the fundamentals that I have said are about right IMHO, although if a new timing belt is fitted then most cars should be OK
Mechanics like myself or people that do all there own maintenance on a particular vehicle are probably the best people to ask as we know the pitfalls on most of them. The majority of the Jap middle of the range cars are also pretty reliable but a last thing I will mention is if a car is "fully loaded" with all the electronic gizmo's then there is more to go wrong.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 10 Aug 2009, 12:29 (Ref:2518762)   #5
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
the link to your route won't work for me - but I would consider buying a make common in the countries you are driving through, you want something not upmarket which was sold in numbers in all countries hence parts will be cheap and easy to get at any motor spares shop. Old tech is better, not too new. Mate of mine went to Casablanca and back in a Volvo 740 that cost him just a few hundred quid.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 13:42 (Ref:2518811)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Agreed on an old Volvo, old school and technology (as long as its the 4 cylinder one.) The only downside is the MPG. although they do take a fair old knock as they are built like a tank and also comfortable for long trips, but you can always put a decent seat in anything within reason,
David, you and I would make a right couple of Arthur Dayley's