Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 21 May 2013, 16:26 (Ref:3251197)   #1101
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Bar their late and much lamented patriarch, vision is what the Hulman-Georges manifestly lack. A tendency towards self destruction and using their own feet for target practice are traits they have in abundance.

In short I have a high regard for Walker and what he says delights me but I hope he has something up his sleeve to counter the inevitable sabotage of the Hulman-Georges. Walker can tackle the teams but his task will be futile if there is sabotage from above. Particularly with Tony George partially rehabilitated, running around footloose and fancy free.
The spectre of Tony George in the background, that's always a worry. Hopefully, with both Miles and Walker in place the Hulman Georges will let them get on with the task at hand and not interfere but as you say they are prone to self-destructing.
Old 21 May 2013, 17:58 (Ref:3251252)   #1102
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
We're the fastest series, and it's part of our brand, it's part of what we're about. But we're not quite as fast as we used to be, so if we can work through Derrick and through the paddock to think of ways to make incremental improvements in that, I think that's a good thing.
I disagree. Pushing the Indy pole average to 235 or 240 mph will change nothing. What matters to me is that races are exciting to watch, and that drivers climb out of their cars sweaty and exhausted because they are hard to drive.

The DW12 is fast enough in ovals. I don't propose lower speeds either, of course, and I would gladly accept faster cars.

But that shouldn't be the focus of the executives. They should bring more fans and more sponsors, period. Once the championship's health improves, then start to plan opening the specs.
Old 21 May 2013, 18:12 (Ref:3251267)   #1103
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I disagree. Pushing the Indy pole average to 235 or 240 mph will change nothing. What matters to me is that races are exciting to watch, and that drivers climb out of their cars sweaty and exhausted because they are hard to drive.

The DW12 is fast enough in ovals. I don't propose lower speeds either, of course, and I would gladly accept faster cars.

But that shouldn't be the focus of the executives. They should bring more fans and more sponsors, period. Once the championship's health improves, then start to plan opening the specs.
You're taking what Miles said out of context by leaving out the first part of what he said in that paragraph.

"On the particular question of speed," Miles said. "I would reframe the question, if I could, to talk about speed and safety, which to me have to go hand in hand. I'm sure that's a widely held view. It's something that we've talked about; it's something that I believe is part of IndyCar.''

The only way they are going to bring more fans and sponsors is through innovation and getting away from spec racing. As Gordon Kirby himself says,

''Many of us have pleaded for years for more performance and competition, a return to everything that made Indy car racing great for many, many decades. With the IRL's arrival came the dumbing down of an Indy car's technology and performance, the arrival of spec car racing and a steady decline in crowds.''

As for the DW12, it's not a very well designed race car. I'd be interested to hear from drivers such as Dario Franchitti and Tony Kanaan, who both raced Reynards in CART how it compares.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 21 May 2013 at 18:17.
Old 21 May 2013, 18:18 (Ref:3251275)   #1104
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Also, we've had exciting racing, both last season, and thus far this year. However, that, on its own, has NOT brought the fans back.
Old 21 May 2013, 21:00 (Ref:3251363)   #1105
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Opening the specs IS what will bring back fans and sponsors. The IRL was a failure from day one. The series needs someone at the head who is not from Indiana and without the unrealistic Indy-centric ideals and American bias. Won't happen with the current ownership sadly.
Old 21 May 2013, 21:08 (Ref:3251367)   #1106
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Also, we've had exciting racing, both last season, and thus far this year. However, that, on its own, has NOT brought the fans back.
I took a friend on his late 20s to the Edmonton Indy last year and he is now hooked on both Indycar and F1. He told me just today as we were discussing the 500 and Monaco this coming weekend he preferred the racing in Indycar over F1. The more people exposed, the better, but the TV situation will never allow that for the foreseeable future. Most people probably won't even give it a chance based on the cars being unappealling aesthetically to the majority of folks anyway. Me, I am enjoying Indycar more than I have in probably over a dozen years and hope for more diversity. Having 2 strong Canadians to cheer on certainly isn't hurting either, especially with the increased TV coverage here.
Old 22 May 2013, 11:06 (Ref:3251602)   #1107
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I prefer the actual racing in Indycar than in F1 myself. Cars in both series are quite ugly albeit F1 has improved a little this year. The Indycar life-raft on wheels does not look fit for purpose. Clones of them surging down a straight it looks to the TV viewer like a junior formula race. It looks that way to me anyway.

Thing is with F1, they have nearly inexhaustible resources in which they can afford to be complacent whilst Indycar must rescue itself from a real crisis and a tough competitor in NASCAR which is cornering the market.
Old 23 May 2013, 17:28 (Ref:3252230)   #1108
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Double header qualifying rules.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107584
Old 24 May 2013, 12:31 (Ref:3252619)   #1109
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Are the rules really going to be opened up and pave the way for innovation?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107619
Old 24 May 2013, 16:27 (Ref:3252721)   #1110
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The intent is there I do not doubt and taking it slow is smart. The teams are going to rebel and he needs to face those guys down.
Old 24 May 2013, 16:35 (Ref:3252722)   #1111
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
The intent is there I do not doubt and taking it slow is smart. The teams are going to rebel and he needs to face those guys down.
Not necessarily. The cost of implementing aero-kits is at the heart of this. If Walker can come up with a solution that makes it affordable then he's doing the job asked of him. The team owners must know that the series is in really bad shape and that something has to be done to revive it. If they rebel then the series suffers even more they'll eventually lose out.
Old 25 May 2013, 04:20 (Ref:3252914)   #1112
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really think Indycar has made a very wise decision in hiring Walker. It shows some intent of going in the right direction.
Old 25 May 2013, 06:25 (Ref:3252936)   #1113
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...gy-initiative/
I am continuing to like what I hear. And Miles seems to get it. He was on CNBC today promoting Indy too.
Old 25 May 2013, 13:41 (Ref:3253047)   #1114
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
I am continuing to like what I hear. And Miles seems to get it. He was on CNBC today promoting Indy too.
Thanks, an excellent article.

This quote from Honda Performance Development technical director Roger Griffiths, says it all as far as I'm concerned.

“At the end of the day, this is the premiere open-wheel series in America and second only to Formula One. We shouldn’t be racing spec cars, so this announcement is an encouraging direction and as long as they don’t let the costs spiral out of control, it’s all good.”
Old 26 May 2013, 02:11 (Ref:3253248)   #1115
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
That's an interesting article. Sounds like they are serious about improving the series.
Old 26 May 2013, 03:33 (Ref:3253260)   #1116
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
For all the *****ing and whining us fans rightfully do, the one thing no one can complain about is the quality of the grid, the teams are already there, all we need now is the cars. I would disagree with the article that they need to be faster on ovals, I would like to see 100-150 more bhp on road courses and street circuits.
Old 29 May 2013, 19:32 (Ref:3255138)   #1117
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Izod IndyCar Series is looking to return an Australian event to its schedule as part of a rejuvenated push into international markets.
Old 29 May 2013, 20:16 (Ref:3255165)   #1118
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
The Izod IndyCar Series is looking to return an Australian event to its schedule as part of a rejuvenated push into international markets.
Translation: Pay Up with taxpayer dollars and have Tony Cotman design the circuit and we'll host an Australian race
Old 30 May 2013, 01:22 (Ref:3255262)   #1119
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Translation: Pay Up with taxpayer dollars and have Tony Cotman design the circuit and we'll host an Australian race
That's what Bernie would do but he would use Tilke.
Old 30 May 2013, 03:17 (Ref:3255275)   #1120
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
A shame we couldn't just return to the Gold Coast. A known, popular, ergo successful, formula. Why complicate matters with the grief creating a new circuit entails? Money, of course, and it is understandable that the government is reducing its spending on present events there (let alone shell out for a new one). Oh, well.

It'd certainly be great to get back to Australia.
Old 30 May 2013, 06:59 (Ref:3255302)   #1121
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
A shame we couldn't just return to the Gold Coast. A known, popular, ergo successful, formula. Why complicate matters with the grief creating a new circuit entails?
Even if you go back to the Gold Coast, you would still have to design a new circuit (or at the very least, partly a new circuit)
Old 30 May 2013, 11:19 (Ref:3255400)   #1122
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
if the guy running our state doesnt want to fund the V8 race, what chance would Indycars have? ya know they could always go to bathurst.
Old 30 May 2013, 11:45 (Ref:3255415)   #1123
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
if the guy running our state doesnt want to fund the V8 race, what chance would Indycars have?
Probably a pretty good chance.

Gold Coast has a legacy of Indycars & the current "V8Supercar" event has proved a flop...

Having said that, i think the most likely outcome is no street race at all on the Gold Coast in 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
ya know they could always go to bathurst.
There would be no mountain left once you modified Bathurst to be suitable for an Indycar.

This bridge was crossed when Bathurst had the chance to host a World Sportscar Championship race in 1990. The works required to bring the track upto the required standard would have ruined the circuit...
Old 30 May 2013, 12:31 (Ref:3255437)   #1124
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Probably a pretty good chance.

Gold Coast has a legacy of Indycars & the current "V8Supercar" event has proved a flop...

Having said that, i think the most likely outcome is no street race at all on the Gold Coast in 2014.
well at twice the cost I doubt it, I don't think itll happen too, V8SC make tens of millions every year, they should fund it themselves. but where else could they go? QR, a new Perth Street track, or Phillip Island.
Old 30 May 2013, 12:37 (Ref:3255444)   #1125
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From someone who once lived in this part of Australia, I know one of the two governmental parties is infamous for some crazy overspending and the other is infamous for cutting, cutting and cutting. Looks like they're in the cut period now, doubt V8's will survive at the Coast and doubt even more Indycar will ever get back here. They ticked off the previous bunch and their ridiculously high HGC-induced Sanctioning fees will do no favours. Road America said FU to the series because of this very reason.