Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 16 Sep 2012, 10:03 (Ref:3136739)   #2501
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I really must stop falling asleep listening to Round Britain Quiz, it means I wake up listening to Thought for the Day on Sunday mornings
Don't worry Max, doesn't everyone fall asleep listening to Round Britain Quiz? I can't think of anything else quite so full of obscure references, vaguely worded clues and incomprehensible minutiae.

Now, where did I leave my Blue Book......
Old 16 Sep 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3136745)   #2502
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Don't wind him up too much, he is always saying that he is the poor relation !
the van is 1992 vintage and very solid for year. The switch is a pathetic little pull thing on the steering column that looks like it will need steering wheel pulling to get at. the the Blazer is my road car and a very useful vehicle, it tows beautifuly and has a cavanous load area bigger than many vans and means I can visit council tips without paying also like Dayvan is gas powered so economical and is fitted with the delghtful Chevy v6 vortex engine
Old 16 Sep 2012, 10:28 (Ref:3136748)   #2503
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Brown shoes with a dark suit ffs are they meant to be trendy?
Old 16 Sep 2012, 11:00 (Ref:3136764)   #2504
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Brown shoes with a dark suit ffs are they meant to be trendy?
We seem to keep having this debate at work.

The consensus from greater fashion gurus than I seems to be that brown shoes with a dark blue suit is ok, but brown with black or grey is a no-no.

Who knew?
Old 16 Sep 2012, 15:07 (Ref:3136835)   #2505
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just back at the hotel from Goodwood. Great to see Mike Bell again. Here is the albumn shot of Iain and the love of his life. The bird's not bad either.
Attached Thumbnails
Goodwood 2012 012.jpg  
Old 17 Sep 2012, 08:54 (Ref:3137090)   #2506
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Just back at the hotel from Goodwood. Great to see Mike Bell again. Here is the albumn shot of Iain and the love of his life. The bird's not bad either.
Likewise, Compte! Just arrived home rom Goody, quick cup of coffee then off to gym to try and get esome joints and muscles working again.

There were some very nicely presented ladies at the event, but when I commented to a friend about a noticeably tall and extremely well dressed pair, the answer was- errr, I think if you put your glasses on you'll see that they aren't.....

Old 17 Sep 2012, 09:18 (Ref:3137102)   #2507
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Nice Slug Compte. Did you flambe it for dinner last night? or is it still nestling on your top lip?

Iain popped over to the Settrington Paddock to wish Arthur all the best, I only managed one paddock walk all weekend and missed JR and the pace team, your good self and many others, although caught up with most of the St Marys crowd.
Old 17 Sep 2012, 10:12 (Ref:3137126)   #2508
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see Delta, Compte and Mike at the weekend and also a number of other owners/racers I know but who do not (I think) sunscribe to this forum.

Fabulous weekend which I would not miss for the world. I agree with the comments of another tenther about it being an airshow with some motor racing thrown in however I would not change it for all the money on the grid (actually I did not mean that as the value of the GTO's collectively would set me and future Morrisons up quite nicely) . Yes there are a number of side atrractions but surely that is what makes it such a leading event the whole family can enjoy?

I do wish they would sort out the bars though. On Friday many of them did not have any ale until late pm (I discount Greene King as ale - it is bad enough being forced to drink it anywhere but in electric pump format it really is truly attrocious) and then when they did get it all they had was Speckled Hen - great beer but it is falling down juice. Many of the bar staff could not speak English and had absolutely no clue about how to pull a pint or change a barrel with the result that at Lavant there was nearly a revolt in the queue I was in when four or five customers volunteered to do it for them to get the queue moving!
Old 17 Sep 2012, 22:00 (Ref:3137487)   #2509
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
I do wish they would sort out the bars though. On Friday many of them did not have any ale until late pm (I discount Greene King as ale - it is bad enough being forced to drink it anywhere !
" Larkins Traditional " That's what you need get a free pint at Spa !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Sep 2012, 09:16 (Ref:3137677)   #2510
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Nice Slug Compte. Did you flambe it for dinner last night? or is it still nestling on your top lip?
I took the thing off after an hour. It was driving me mad. Quite a few older people came up to me in the paddock and asked if I was doing an impression of LEONARD SWINDLEY. I explained I was French and did not know of Leonard Swindley. Can anyone help?
Attached Thumbnails
Goodwood 2012 010 - Copy (2).jpg  
Old 18 Sep 2012, 09:33 (Ref:3137681)   #2511
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
My 19 year old daughter pinched my Macro card last night, too buy one of her friends who is going to university sweets.Guess what they are selling Christmas stuff allready.I blooming hate Christmas.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 09:37 (Ref:3137684)   #2512
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Have you changed your name to Al Iain?

I'm with you though . . .

down the Workshop listening to Electric Landlady very loud this morning to mark the anniversary of the passing of probably the greatest guitarist/songwriter ever
Old 18 Sep 2012, 10:35 (Ref:3137728)   #2513
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Ha ha tell you something funny re Christmas. Just round the corner from me in an industrial yard in an old farm they started selling Xmas trees from there a few years ago (they may be travellers not sure). Anyhow it was always a joke as the guy used to leave his signs up till at least end of Feb. Anyhow last Christmas another family of travellers who live in a big bungalow and small holding a bit further down the road started doing the same (Xmas Tree Wars!). So last Christmas the first guy stuck huge banners all across the outside of the yard and they have been there ever since, never taken down! I was tempted to go in there in July and ask for a tree but never did.

Kirsty MacColl, that was a tragedy, did they ever arrest anyone over that in the end?
Old 18 Sep 2012, 11:36 (Ref:3137765)   #2514
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
" Larkins Traditional " That's what you need get a free pint at Spa !
Only one, is it worth going all that way just for one pint?
Old 18 Sep 2012, 16:00 (Ref:3137891)   #2515
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Funny old world and as I say to people when you work for yourself you never know what the next phone call might be.Recently its normally been someone having a moan or a pop at me, but the last call I just had was an invite too race a Formula 500 at Snett next weekend.How exciting is that. Well chuffed.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 16:09 (Ref:3137895)   #2516
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 500, or Formula 5000....small block Chevy or short-stroke Rat motor.... yummee!
Old 18 Sep 2012, 16:39 (Ref:3137905)   #2517
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Lot of difference in horsepower just for sake of one zero....

Old 18 Sep 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3137930)   #2518
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
I took the thing off after an hour. It was driving me mad. Quite a few older people came up to me in the paddock and asked if I was doing an impression of LEONARD SWINDLEY. I explained I was French and did not know of Leonard Swindley. Can anyone help?
A character in Coronation Street, a series to which a large proportion of the British TV-viewing public are addicted, for reasons which are beyond me.....

http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Leonard_Swindley

I can see the resemblance
Old 18 Sep 2012, 19:22 (Ref:3138027)   #2519
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well I'm English and didnt have a clue who he was!
Old 18 Sep 2012, 20:38 (Ref:3138077)   #2520
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Before your time Al.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 21:10 (Ref:3138097)   #2521
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Kirsty MacColl, that was a tragedy, did they ever arrest anyone over that in the end?
Al, I remember the case because I have dived in that same place as she did when she was killed.
As far as I remember the boat owner who was (allegedly) at the helm paid someone to take the blame as he is one of the richest guys in the country and seemingly above the law ! This from of the net !
The boat involved in the accident was owned by Mexican supermarket millionaire Guillermo González Nova, who was on board with several members of his family. An employee of González Nova's, boathand José Cen Yam, claimed to have been driving the boat at the time that the accident occurred. Several published reports have included accounts from eyewitnesses that have stated Cen Yam was not at the controls; eyewitnesses also indicate that the boat was travelling much faster than the speed of one knot that Nova had claimed. Cen Yam was found guilty of culpable homicide and was sentenced to 2 years 10 months in prison. He was allowed under Mexican law to pay a punitive fine of 1,034 pesos (about €63, £61, or US$90) in lieu of the prison sentence. He was also ordered to pay approximately US$2,150 in restitution to MacColl's family, an amount based on his wages. Published reports have included statements from people who spoke to Cen Yam after the accident, claiming Cen Yam had received money for taking the blame for the incident.[

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 18 Sep 2012 at 21:16.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Sep 2012, 21:40 (Ref:3138123)   #2522
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
THat was all criminal, and a tragedy.

As was the death of James MArshall Hendrix ( who died on this date)

still not sure how we got to Kirsty, unless it was Al she was singing about when she got the urge . . . for chips.

Coronation Street, its primate TV. I don't personally know anyone stupid enough to watch it, and I've met some proper monkeys on my travels.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 22:04 (Ref:3138136)   #2523
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
That was all criminal, and a tragedy.

still not sure how we got to Kirsty, unless it was Al she was singing about when she got the urge . . . for chips.

Possibly as he was talking about Christmas it may have been "Fairytale of New York"
Old 19 Sep 2012, 06:54 (Ref:3138233)   #2524
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Ahh yes, The Pogues.

Old 19 Sep 2012, 07:03 (Ref:3138237)   #2525
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Coronation Street, its primate TV. I don't personally know anyone stupid enough to watch it, and I've met some proper monkeys on my travels.
I know someone. My wife !!!!!