Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 21 Apr 2015, 01:31 (Ref:3529530)   #1
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Brilliant Features in my Road Car!

Thread for surprising even banal features which have surprised you in your car which are useful in your daily life, or possibly features that you actually bought your car for!

My Golf GTi has a series of flat hooks installed along the back of the back seat which are really handy for hanging shopping bags from and can additionally be used to thread a strap through to secure something in the boot. Could be a little wider and a little higher but really useful nevertheless!
Old 21 Apr 2015, 01:55 (Ref:3529537)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Designed to strap the new gearbox in the back when you need to go get another one?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 21 Apr 2015, 08:57 (Ref:3529624)   #3
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Designed to strap the new gearbox in the back when you need to go get another one?
Oh so you know about Golf gearboxes!
Old 21 Apr 2015, 19:06 (Ref:3529791)   #4
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Heated steering wheel. Sounds stupid, but don't knock it til you try it. And don't try it if you can't get it. There is no going back.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 22:52 (Ref:3529850)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Heated steering wheel. Sounds stupid, but don't knock it til you try it. And don't try it if you can't get it. There is no going back.
Wouldn't have thought it'd be cold enough in Georgia to need heated anything in a car, let alone a steering wheel.
Old 26 Apr 2015, 20:51 (Ref:3531022)   #6
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My Civic has a cup holder also for the left hand. The right hand is too busy with the gear lever.
Old 26 Apr 2015, 21:21 (Ref:3531026)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Oh so you know about Golf gearboxes!
And electronics, and steering racks, and wiring looms... can anyone say Mechatronics without swearing?
Old 26 Apr 2015, 21:48 (Ref:3531036)   #8
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My car has this thing at the front that drinks petrol, makes noise and allows me to move.
Old 27 Apr 2015, 16:41 (Ref:3531216)   #9
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Wouldn't have thought it'd be cold enough in Georgia to need heated anything in a car, let alone a steering wheel.
Fair point, I guess it's a matter of perspective. It's currently 65F/18-19C and I'm wearing a jacket, so....

I just looked up your current temps and we see that kind of weather in late February. It gets cold here, just not for very long. That heating steering wheel is better than heated seats.
Old 27 Apr 2015, 23:49 (Ref:3531328)   #10
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
And electronics, and steering racks, and wiring looms... can anyone say Mechatronics without swearing?
I feel your pain GTR!

Another swear word Climatronic!

And I raise you CAN data bus technology! #@%$$#

Sorry couldn't help myself!
Old 27 Apr 2015, 23:52 (Ref:3531329)   #11
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Fair point, I guess it's a matter of perspective. It's currently 65F/18-19C and I'm wearing a jacket, so....

I just looked up your current temps and we see that kind of weather in late February. It gets cold here, just not for very long. That heating steering wheel is better than heated seats.
Now that's an interesting feature J, who would have thunk that a heated steering wheel would be an appreciated feature!
Worryingly thinking about it, it actually makes sense!
Old 28 Apr 2015, 09:45 (Ref:3531434)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there are three things on my car i struggle to survive without in hire cars and the like.

1. heated seats.
2. automatic windscreen wipers.
3. automatic headlights.

everything else i can take or leave. but the above items are non-negotiable.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 12:19 (Ref:3531477)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
For me its HID/LED headlamps... Amazing how much you miss them in other cars

Oh, and proper RHD indicator location (right hand side)
Old 28 Apr 2015, 18:34 (Ref:3531561)   #14
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
1. heated seats.
For me this depends on upholstery material. I had a Chrysler Neon for couple of years and I never missed heated seats, even when temperatures were -20 C. But it had velour seats. Leather seats in that cold would'n be very comfy.

My current Civic has standard fabric seats and I used the heater in the winter every time it went below zero.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 23:43 (Ref:3531655)   #15
wnut
Veteran

The absolute essential to me is air conditioning!

Just about nothing else matters as long as the aircon is good!

The VW aircon however thinks it can take a vacation when the ambient temperature goes above 35 deg C, when do they think I want it most?
Old 29 Apr 2015, 09:19 (Ref:3531728)   #16
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The absolute essential to me is air conditioning!

Just about nothing else matters as long as the aircon is good!

The VW aircon however thinks it can take a vacation when the ambient temperature goes above 35 deg C, when do they think I want it most?
Until I had it, I viewed air-con as a luxury, but now for me it's essential. Not just for cooling the car on hot days, but more importantly, as it dries the air in the car, it's excellent for de-misting the windows too. The other advantage (tied in with the window de-misting) is that as the condenser (which gets warm in operation) is in-front of the coolant radiator, using it on a cold & frosty morning not only helps demist ALL of the windows (not just the windscreen), but also helps the engine warm up too. A win-win situation for me.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 14:08 (Ref:3531806)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
unless you have dry eyes and contact lenses, in which case it's a curse that never gets turned on
Old 29 Apr 2015, 14:10 (Ref:3531809)   #18
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2014 Honda Civic: heated seats. I was sceptical. Now I am not, they are ace.

2008 Honda Civic: variable speed intermittent windscreen wipers. I LOVE these. And they removed the variable speed by the time the 2014 model rolled around! $#%^$!!! ARGH!
Old 29 Apr 2015, 14:27 (Ref:3531813)   #19
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
there are three things on my car i struggle to survive without in hire cars and the like.

1. heated seats.
2. automatic windscreen wipers.
3. automatic headlights.

everything else i can take or leave. but the above items are non-negotiable.
That's 1 thing I don't care about (heated seats) and 2 I despise! Auto wipers are annoying - pick a ****ing speed and stick to it rather than slowing down and speeding up - also work when it's raining you useless pieces of ****. My wifes MINI has an auto wiper option but doesn't appear to have an 'intermittent' setting - so you have on, off and annoying. The Honda variable intermittent setting is good (as mentioned by someone else). Auto lights - good idea, technology not there yet - shouldn't flick on and off as you travel through shady woodland on a bright sunny day - it's irritating following a car with lights that are on then off then on then off etc. etc.

Those features all fall under the 'pointless technology pile' for me My list of deal breakers is more basic:

1) Decent brakes
2) Decent seats
3) Handling not like a barge
4) Noticeable acceleration - not rocket ship fast but something must happen when you bury the throttle.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 15:38 (Ref:3531829)   #20
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
That's 1 thing I don't care about (heated seats) and 2 I despise! Auto wipers are annoying - pick a ****ing speed and stick to it rather than slowing down and speeding up - also work when it's raining you useless pieces of ****. My wifes MINI has an auto wiper option but doesn't appear to have an 'intermittent' setting - so you have on, off and annoying. The Honda variable intermittent setting is good (as mentioned by someone else). Auto lights - good idea, technology not there yet - shouldn't flick on and off as you travel through shady woodland on a bright sunny day - it's irritating following a car with lights that are on then off then on then off etc. etc.

Those features all fall under the 'pointless technology pile' for me My list of deal breakers is more basic:

1) Decent brakes
2) Decent seats
3) Handling not like a barge
4) Noticeable acceleration - not rocket ship fast but something must happen when you bury the throttle.
I really really wish we had a facebook 'like' on this forum. Agree 100% with your 'pointless technology' view.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 17:35 (Ref:3531866)   #21
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
depends where you live.

the most glorious of all car accessories is the command/remote start!

-40c and i dont have to go outside to start my car so its nice and toasty once i get in...amazing!
Old 29 Apr 2015, 19:40 (Ref:3531927)   #22
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
depends where you live.

the most glorious of all car accessories is the command/remote start!

-40c and i dont have to go outside to start my car so its nice and toasty once i get in...amazing!
I'm not sure if remote starters are even legal here. Never heard anyone having it. Instead of that we use preheaters and cabin heaters. The latter one looks like this

Of course it needs electricity first, unless you use Webasto/Eberspächer -type system which uses cars own fuel to produce heat.

E: And remote starter would also cause some weird accidents here in Europe since most of the drivers still 'choose' manual transmission (can't afford a decent automatic ). I mean if one tries to remote start a car but the gear's not on neutral.

Last edited by BudLightJaguar; 29 Apr 2015 at 19:50.
Old 29 Apr 2015, 22:08 (Ref:3531977)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
At that temperature we take our clothes off and lie out in the back garden.

The thing I miss most in any car other than mine is the arm rest in the middle. Perfectly placed so you can rest your elbow and still hold the steering wheel and change gear. The other thing I love is the rechargeable torch in the glove box.
Old 30 Apr 2015, 05:01 (Ref:3532046)   #24
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Two years ago I traded my 2004 Ford Falcon on a 2012 Ford Falcon. One stand out feature that I gained in the update is a USB port.

I can't stand listening to the radio, the same songs everyday and idiots babbling **** incessantly. Now I plug in my iPod and I hear no talking, nothing but my music collection. I have 7000 songs, so it's not repetitive.
Old 30 Apr 2015, 13:16 (Ref:3532191)   #25
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Blue tooth and a UBS slot, what a relief to get rid of cassettes and CDs after years of cluttering up the car !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !