Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 6 Mar 2007, 19:37 (Ref:1860025)   #1
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Barnfinds

We all dream of buying a property and finding an old car tucked away somewhere that the owner has forgotten about.

I've just been sent this. It may not be true, but apparently somebody brought an old farm in Portugal and found this! in a barn.

If it is true, I wish it was me!

How many cars can you identify?
Old 6 Mar 2007, 23:34 (Ref:1860196)   #2
Dennis.Doyle
Racer

England
Bury, Lancs
Dennis.Doyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
We all dream of buying a property and finding an old car tucked away somewhere that the owner has forgotten about.

I've just been sent this. It may not be true, but apparently somebody brought an old farm in Portugal and found this! in a barn.

If it is true, I wish it was me!

How many cars can you identify?
Looks rather like a Lancia Motor Club meeting to me.

P.S. I cheated - If you hover your mouse over the pictures it tells you most of them.

P.P.S. Fair few lifetime's work restoring that lot.
Old 7 Mar 2007, 12:42 (Ref:1860546)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One of those stories that you really hope is true. But that's not a barn its an aircraft hanger!
Old 9 Mar 2007, 13:03 (Ref:1862307)   #4
Dennis.Doyle
Racer

England
Bury, Lancs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
One of those stories that you really hope is true. But that's not a barn its an aircraft hanger!
Reckon your'e right, does look like the motoring equivalent of the "modern urban myth", i.e. you want to believe it so badly you totally suspend your critical powers & swallow it hook line & sinker.

However, since I do like fairy tales:

The collection of cars has the right "feel" about it, i.e. they are what an enthusiast might have bought in those times & they have some slight eccentricities rather than beeing an ideal collection of exotica assembled after the fact.

Last week I was in Salamaca (in country to the right of Portugal ) & in the motor museum there is a similarly tasty collection that was mostly assembled by a rich enthusiast who simply was unable to sell his treasures. Goes right through from '20s Mercs & Amilcars, through Traction Avant, DKW, early Jag saloons to '70s 911. All with appropriate patina just like they had been parked up.

Lastly, in that part of the world you do get a wierd mix of ancient rustic looking barns side by side with modern industrial units looking like aircrat hangers.

But, just to come back to reality, I did try following that link up one level & was told to "go away"! Anyone know the background story or what the website is about?

Last edited by Dennis.Doyle; 9 Mar 2007 at 13:13.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 13:19 (Ref:1862320)   #5
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.Doyle
Anyone know the background story or what the website is about?
I've spoken to the guy who sent it to me, but he has no idea either sadly.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 14:12 (Ref:1862354)   #6
Dennis.Doyle
Racer

England
Bury, Lancs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
I've spoken to the guy who sent it to me, but he has no idea either sadly.
That really is a shame. A number of those cars aren't the obvious collectors/speculators items but they are spectacularly collectible - well to my mind at least & the Lancias in particular. I try to ignore classic car values so my knowledge is way out of date, but ...

The Appia - A RWD Fulvia from the '50s, unitary construction, less than 17cwt with narrow angle V4 & independent all round. Now cheaper than a Mayflower in this country?

2 or 3 Aurelia B20s - A true Grand Tourer. Not as sporty as DB2/4, 'cos it trades performance for seats, & similar as it's not huge capacity or hp & both are gorgeous. Saw one for sale in auction at the Classic car show in Manchester in mid-80s, i.e. top of classic car boom? Heavily rust-pitted but a goer. Went for about £500. Saw a B20GT racing at Oulton not long after in some classic event. Not competitive but who cares when it's that good?
Old 9 Mar 2007, 19:55 (Ref:1862582)   #7
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Dennis. I've made a few more enquiries. It's been discussed elsewhere although nobody seems to know where it is.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 20:20 (Ref:1862605)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The story has been doing the rounds on various forums for a while now. Don't know where it was originally posted but it wasn't the site linked in the first post - that's just a collection of the pictures posted elsewhere.

The story seems to be that the barn was part of a farm property that had been empty for the last 15 years. The new owners knew nothing about the contents of the barn until they cut the padlock off.

Certainly an odd mix of cars.
Old 14 Mar 2007, 02:11 (Ref:1866098)   #9
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can easily believe that sort of thing can happen, late last year there was a private collection of 150 cars auctioned in Sydney
Old 9 Aug 2007, 13:06 (Ref:1984868)   #10
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
UM

Urban Myth?

http://www.snopes.com/photos/automobiles/barnfind.asp
Old 24 Aug 2008, 17:09 (Ref:2274414)   #11
arnoudodw
Rookie

arnoudodw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dear all,

for the people who are interested in barnfinds this is maybe a site that is really interesting.
www.extraordinarycarcollections.com

it goes about the famous collection of Michel Dovaz and the reserve collection of the brothers Schlumpf.

Best regards