Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 May 2012, 16:55 (Ref:3072752)   #1
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Coldest F1Race

A friend and I were discussing how much misery we would endure to watch different types of racing, that we wouldn't endure much for local dirt oval racing but would watch F1 in the snow. I don't know that there has ever been a GP in the snow, but I thought one was once close to that sort of cold but can't put my finger on it. I tried Google but just got forum talks about recent years, of which I know weren't that cold. Does anybody know the real answer for the coldest F1 GP?
Old 11 May 2012, 19:50 (Ref:3072790)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I know the hottest was the 1955 Argentinian GP, which Fangio won. I believe the story is that he imagined that he was sat in a bucket of ice. Sorry that doesn't help, but you know it must be another GP other than this race.

Talking of ice, it is great that you are asking about the coldest GP.
Old 11 May 2012, 20:37 (Ref:3072806)   #3
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the championship era, probably some rain-soaked German or Belgian GP: it gets bloody cold up in those mountains in wet weather!

The 1933 Pau GP was run with snow on the ground and the course salted, but the coldest F1 races were probably the Swedish Winter and Stockholm GPs in early 1947. I say "probably" because they may actually be Formule Libre rather than F1.

Bob Marley
Old 12 May 2012, 09:47 (Ref:3072955)   #4
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Didn't it snow (or at least sleet) at the 1968 German GP which JYS won so convincingly?
Old 12 May 2012, 10:59 (Ref:3072981)   #5
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Didn't it snow (or at least sleet) at the 1968 German GP which JYS won so convincingly?
Are you perhaps confusing that with Jochen's win at the 1969 Eifelrennen F2 race? There was lying snow that day.

I doubt you'd get sleet or snow - even up in the Eifel mountains - in August. The 1968 German GP was one I was thinking of, along with 1960, when from all reports I've seen the rain was even worse than '68. But that was F2 as well.

Even so, for bad weather you'd have to look long and hard to beat the 1938 Spa 24 Hours: the only times it stopped raining was to make way for hail or fog! The 1938 Swiss GP was pretty bloody miserable too, with rain throughout. But Rosemeyer's win in fog in the '36 Eifelrennen probably wasn't all that warm either.

Bob Marley
Old 12 May 2012, 15:53 (Ref:3073092)   #6
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I attended an F1 test at Silverstone in 2006 where it snowed...
Old 12 May 2012, 18:13 (Ref:3073138)   #7
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Wikipedia mentions it being wet and foggy but doesn't mention cold.
Old 12 May 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3073349)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Donington 1993 was pretty bad, well it certainly was on the Friday!!

For a July date, the '98 British GP was appalling weather wise as well.
Old 13 May 2012, 19:34 (Ref:3073959)   #9
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't it snow at one of the Silverstone International Trophy meetings?

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 14 May 2012, 00:03 (Ref:3074079)   #10
Angus Theape
Rookie

Angus Theape should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iirc, Goodwood (Glover Trophy?) got snowed off in 65.
Old 14 May 2012, 15:01 (Ref:3074394)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I seem to recall mention that a race at Solitude in the late 50's early 60's had snow on the ground and one of the Nurburgring races might have had sleet or some snow coming down.

There was a CART race at Nazereth around 2000 that got cancelled due to several inches of snow.
Old 14 May 2012, 15:44 (Ref:3074417)   #12
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was snow before the start of the 1975 Race of Champions at Brands Hatch. It was a wickedly cold weekend.
Old 19 May 2012, 10:48 (Ref:3076377)   #13
Alfie72
Rookie

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Alfie72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Type View Post
Didn't it snow at one of the Silverstone International Trophy meetings?
IIRC it was 1973 - April 8th if correct - and I was marshalling on the inside of Copse - in the Fire truck accompanied by Arthur Dickens.

It was raining and gradually the rain turned to snow. I seem to recall Ronnie Peterson "enjoying" the weather. It was typical of Silverstone, wet in one area of the track and dry in another.