Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Oct 2016, 00:39 (Ref:3679429)   #101
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
When chatting documentaries, I cannot recommend the timeless 'Moffat: The Man and The Mountain' any higher.

Is it found online? Apparently there's another doco covering him at Le Mans but haven't found it either.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 01:00 (Ref:3679430)   #102
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've never been able to find it.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 01:17 (Ref:3679432)   #103
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even simple things like the same set being used for Harry Firth's workshop in Auburn and then for the HDT up until the move to Bertie Street after Brock purchased the team at the end of 79.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 10:23 (Ref:3679503)   #104
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lots of little details were wrong - but some of the stuff mentioned here was just as a result of 'who cares' and 'budget constraints. Like seriously, who cares whether he changed to 5th gear on Mountain Straight with the wrong gearbox or whatever.

And sets are bloody expensive for a small-budget TV miniseries. There was no need to change the workshop setting and, to be honest, for viewer continuity it probably made more sense.

It was a mainstream drama, not something for trainspotters.

I thought the acting was average, historically it could have been tighter without being pedantic and it definitely suffered a bit for not having access to Channel 7 footage (which they blocked).

But, in getting across the phases of Peter's life and what he was like in all of them, I thought they did reasonable job given what a complex personality he was.

The early days when he was a precocious, talented a-hole. TICK
The 80s when his god complex descended into absolute self-deception. TICK
His early 90s transformation into a genuinely decent, public statesman - PASS mark.

I actually don't think the episodes conveyed just how popular he was. Nor how in the latter stages of his life just how devoted and selfless he was to his fans. That kind of got glossed over a little bit at the end.

There was a really good line from his daughter: 'You make everyone else feel good except your family'. This is so true for many public figures and well known that it was true of Peter.

He was an immense human being, but also flawed in different ways at different times. The series did capture that - but it could have been better.
Old 15 Oct 2016, 23:47 (Ref:3680329)   #105
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I recorded both nights. Just began to watch 1st episode, got to 10 minute mark and had to stop before I threw up. Seriously is this the best they could do? I would love to see a proper documentary on Peter Brock done.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 15 Oct 2016, 23:50 (Ref:3680330)   #106
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
I recorded both nights. Just began to watch 1st episode, got to 10 minute mark and had to stop before I threw up. Seriously is this the best they could do? I would love to see a proper documentary on Peter Brock done.

If one expects an accurate representation of the cars, races and other things the average anorak will look for you are bound to be disappointed.

It is not how movies or TV series are made.
Old 16 Oct 2016, 00:05 (Ref:3680340)   #107
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
If one expects an accurate representation of the cars, races and other things the average anorak will look for you are bound to be disappointed.

It is not how movies or TV series are made.
Yes but one would have hoped some resemblance to the truth would have been there.

Old 16 Oct 2016, 00:16 (Ref:3680343)   #108
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Depends whose version of the truth you're after.
Old 16 Oct 2016, 05:16 (Ref:3680463)   #109
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having just spent the afternoon watching..

There are one or two facts in there.. maybe a few more than that, perhaps not too many more.

The biggest thing I saw... WAY too many ads!!

Mike Raymond's voice in commentary had me wondering what he might have put together instead...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House