Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Jun 2011, 09:46 (Ref:2900072)   #26
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i see the tasmanian budget has come down today, any news on this race?
Old 19 Jun 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2901934)   #27
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No funding for rounds beyond this year, although opposition has committed to another 3 years if they get into power.

http://www.examiner.com.au/news/loca...g/2199496.aspx
Old 23 Jun 2011, 06:26 (Ref:2904587)   #28
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://inpitlane.com/archives/12900

Quote:
TASMANIAN GOVERNMENT DENIES V8 SUPERCAR AXING
Thu, Jun 23, 2011

Australia/NZ News, Drag Racing, Motorsport News, Sports & GT, Top Stories, Touring Cars

The Tasmanian Government has denied that it was withdrawing it’s support for a V8 Supercar event at Symmons Plains.

Tasmanian Premier Lara Giddings accused VESA officials of “sabre rattling” over the future of the race.

V8 Supercars Australia claimed that the State Government had scrapped its three-year deal to run the event and with no commitment beyond this year, the event from November 11-13 would be the last.

Premier Gidding’s however has denied that any final decision had been made and that the State was keen to see the event continue.

“We know it is a very popular sport for many Tasmanians, but we have to go through a negotiation process and that is what is happening right now,” she told the Hobart Mercury .

“I think it might be a bit of sabre rattling by the V8s because we are still in discussions with them around a negotiation.

The Tasmanian Minister for Tourism Scott Bacon also denies the event has been officially scrapped.

“The suggestion that we have abandoned our commitment to events in 2012 and 2013 is incorrect,” he said.

“There appears to have been some confusion over the status of negotiations with V8 Supercars.” Mr Bacon said.

“Originally, discussions with the event’s organisers centred around funding for a three-year arrangement.

“However, given the tough financial situation, an alternative funding arrangement was reached with V8 Supercars.

“This agreement was reached in March, confirming funding for the 2011 event.
“We also sought conditions from V8 Supercars to continue the event in 2012 and 2013, which they have provided.

“It was agreed to continue negotiations for the subsequent events, once the full extent of the 2011-12 Budget situation was known.”

V8 Supercars CEO Tony Cochrane is adamant however that Tasmania is now off the agenda for future rounds of the Championship.

Speaking to “The Mercury” Mr Cochrane said that “…they [the State Government] couldn’t see their way clear to continue past this year. They asked to be released from their contract and reluctantly we released them.

“This year will be the last one down there, regrettably.”

But V8 Supercars media manager Cole Hitchcock refuted his CEOs claim confirming that while there had been a change in the contract for this year, it did not necessarily mean the event was being axed.

“We did renegotiate a one-year arrangement at the government’s request to get their funding mechanism in place,” he said.

“We have that one-year deal in place and are open to discussions about future years, whether that be next year or beyond.

“The door has not closed.” he said.

Tasmanian motorsport legend John Bowe has called on the Government to try and keep the race which is claimed to be the Island States biggest Sporting event.

Bowe told the website BigPond Sport that the event provided a massive injection into the community and “…the government would be very brave, or stupid, to kill off the event.”

The move to restrict the deal to only one year comes after the Government revealed its support for two AFL matches by North Melbourne at the Belreive Ground in Hobart.

The Government also supports the Hawthorn Football Club to play matches in Launceston.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 06:43 (Ref:2904590)   #29
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sabre rattling

Cant see much difference between how the AFL acted & V8SC, but the good lady premier is clearly unimpressed:
PREMIER Lara Giddings today accused supercar officials of "sabre rattling" over the future of the Tasmanian round at Symmons Plains.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 08:39 (Ref:2904628)   #30
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know the Sabre Jets are getting a bit old but I don't think they rattle.

Old 24 Jun 2011, 02:42 (Ref:2905024)   #31
pascofi m-sport
Racer

Australia
pascofi m-sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from article provided by PVDA:

"V8 Supercars CEO Tony Cochrane is adamant however that Tasmania is now off the agenda for future rounds of the Championship."

is it just me, or has Mr. Whitmarsh been sent on his way, and Czar Cochrane has taken over...AGAIN, or has the reporter made an amateur-ish mistake?

You tell me.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 03:04 (Ref:2905029)   #32
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When I mentioned putting the prices up in Tassie... I hadn't seen the prices to go to the Indy 500

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Jun 2011, 09:26 (Ref:2905137)   #33
planesgonegabe
Rookie

planesgonegabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Cant see much difference between how the AFL acted & V8SC, but the good lady premier is clearly unimpressed:
PREMIER Lara Giddings today accused supercar officials of "sabre rattling" over the future of the Tasmanian round at Symmons Plains.

Only just registered today, so first post here.

Long time lurker, very impressed, very appreciative.

I have done many a lap around 'The Plains', and the place has a very special place in my heart.

I wouldn't place too much faith in what Lala (as in: La la la la....blah blah blah...) has to say, as unfortunately she does not have an impressive record re the truth, and does tend to pass blame and/or accountability off onto others.

I came across this petition today, and though I am sceptical of it being able to influence a positive outcome, perhaps a show of support for Symmons and us motorsport starved Tassies may not be a bad idea.

http://www.examiner.com.au/specialfeature.aspx?id=4866

Imo, the "available" funds were only made available to the footy due to a lot of loud noise from a few interested parties. Remember: "he who shouts the loudest......." over-rides the interests of the majority.

cheers
Old 24 Jun 2011, 10:51 (Ref:2905181)   #34
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
When I mentioned putting the prices up in Tassie... I hadn't seen the prices to go to the Indy 500

400,000 people @ $30USD a head = $12,000,000USD, just from one day of racing. If you can fit more people into the arena you can drop the price of admission, and dropping the price of admission will bring more spectators to the event.

When you think about how much it would cost to run the Indy 500 each year this would very likely be a very large if not total majority of the costs of the race!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 24 Jun 2011, 23:02 (Ref:2905520)   #35
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
400,000 people @ $30USD a head = $12,000,000USD, just from one day of racing. If you can fit more people into the arena you can drop the price of admission, and dropping the price of admission will bring more spectators to the event.

When you think about how much it would cost to run the Indy 500 each year this would very likely be a very large if not total majority of the costs of the race!
no other revenue streams on race day ....
Old 25 Jun 2011, 00:13 (Ref:2905535)   #36
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
no other revenue streams on race day ....
And Cochrane is quick to tell us how much the sport has grown under his leadership.

Therefore more spectators at the gate.

Time to bring admission prices more in line with the major sports Cochrane is so keen to be compared against?
Old 25 Jun 2011, 01:33 (Ref:2905553)   #37
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
chavez my boss is paying $ 900 a ticket to see the 20/20 game at the mcg next year. how do we stack up against that

if i want to go and see Esendon ves geelong next weeked and take my kids that will cost $60

ut would cost me $55 to take them to Phillip island

it sounds like it stacks up to me
Old 25 Jun 2011, 02:59 (Ref:2905562)   #38
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
chavez my boss is paying $ 900 a ticket to see the 20/20 game at the mcg next year. how do we stack up against that

if i want to go and see Esendon ves geelong next weeked and take my kids that will cost $60

ut would cost me $55 to take them to Phillip island

it sounds like it stacks up to me
Did you win the lotto? How could you afford to take a family to the footy?
tickets, Overpriced catering, stiff If you want a beer, over priced merchandise.

Went to the Gabba once, would have been better to go to eagle farm and put money on another form of horse power.

Same same for some Motorsports events, rolled up to the Gp(melb) as a Marshall, got slugged for a coffee and the price for a burger, I thought I was getting a three course meal.

Really have to weigh up value for money entertaiment, and what will it bring to the local economy.
Old 25 Jun 2011, 04:24 (Ref:2905570)   #39
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
fomoco have you been to the movies lately, thats nearly $50 as well, dont get me onto the popcorn and coke either, much more expensive than car racing or football
Old 25 Jun 2011, 04:40 (Ref:2905571)   #40
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

To be fair, the $30 is just general admission for race day to sit on the grass. My seat in the turn 4 grandstand cost $80

$100 for a bronze badge also gave you 'free' entry (ie.. you paid once and didn't have to pay every day upon entry) to all practice & Qualifying days, plus Carb Day, and all areas access to Gasoline Alley every day except race day.

The food at the track though was incredibly well priced compared to what is charged over here
Old 26 Jun 2011, 03:21 (Ref:2906093)   #41
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tasmania makes way for Singapore?

There is time to save this... the end of July according to the article..!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 26 Jun 2011, 10:56 (Ref:2906220)   #42
krypto71
Racer

krypto71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the linked article:

"Our sport has a possible viewing audience of in excess of 350 million people so you want the circuit to present nicely on TV," Mr Howard said.

The Supercars attract huge crowds and interstate travellers."

Right, so Shane, tell us how the practically empty stands that we have seen at almost every over seas round (apart from NZ) present nicely on tv?
Old 26 Jun 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2906225)   #43
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Tasmania makes way for Singapore?

There is time to save this... the end of July according to the article..!
Haha same old line trotted out to circuits by V8SA to get them to pay up.

Fingers crossed the Tassie Goverment stands it ground on this one.
Old 26 Jun 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2906226)   #44
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Krypto, by its very nature you dont want to see crowds on TV, if they are at the track they are not watching it on TV
Old 28 Jun 2011, 15:05 (Ref:2907391)   #45
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Krypto, by its very nature you dont want to see crowds on TV, if they are at the track they are not watching it on TV
So the Yanks do it all wrong when you see packed grandstands at Bristol, Indy etc. Best you get over there and wise them up.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 04:21 (Ref:2907728)   #46
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
There is something like 22 million humans populating Australia and maybe 30-40,000 at the track over a typical weekend so I think there's still enough out there despite a good crowd to keep the TV exec's happy.

You've only got to look at the crowds at AFL games and know what you're saying is bull tish Peck.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 06:58 (Ref:2907760)   #47
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
There is something like 22 million humans populating Australia and maybe 30-40,000 at the track over a typical weekend so I think there's still enough out there despite a good crowd to keep the TV exec's happy.

You've only got to look at the crowds at AFL games and know what you're saying is bull tish Peck.
you've taken my out of context, in relation to kryptos comment on how rounds with small crowds appear on tv

I think bigger crowds is better, im a regular attender at motorsport and often when i go a group goes, because i organise it.

but from a tv point of view if there are 30-40k at the track that's 30-40k who arent watching. Would channel 7 rather have a bigger TV audience of 30-40k or a bigger crowd, Well to help answer your question Abu Dhabi got a bigger tv audience than Darwin
Old 29 Jun 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2907904)   #48
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So following right along, crowds are bad for TV, so explain how a promoter feeds his family when no one pays entry. You are telling us that the TV rights and by default V8 Supercars income are more important that a promoter who owns the track? Is there a course that you have undertaken to think like this?
Old 29 Jun 2011, 12:43 (Ref:2907943)   #49
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
I didnt say that at all, Not sure how you drew that conclusion

your taking a general point about tv and applying it to the whole series, there is obviously a balance.

Different stakeholders have different reasons for what they do,

But tv want viewers, thats how they sell advertising, they dont care about crowds, because they dont gain any income from crowds,

In AFL and NRL crowds are not the important thing, its the tv rights that bring in the money and fund the majority of the expenses,
Old 29 Jun 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2908020)   #50
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They are important, to the tv companies.

Crowds are important to the clubs, venues and sponsors.

You need them all